General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clutch Damper

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Clutch Damper

Hello,
The M/T hydraulic circuit has a damper between the master and slave cylinders. From Honda Japan the local dealer got +/- the following explanation of the need for a damper: Under extreme temperatures, cold or hot, it is to allow the clutch time to react and to avoid surging in the hydraulic system whether due to slowness when cold or rapid feedback when hot.
This may explain why, when cold like - 30°F, the sweet spot isn't in the same place and why sometimes when the pedal is depressed, and I shift from 1st to 2nd, I can feel the synchros slipping out of first and into 2nd ( I probably get this feeling because the clutch isn't completely disengaged). It is a rubbery sensation, really feels funny. If I was a tuner I would be tempted to trash the damper as I don't like devices that interfere with what I am doing. This is like the electronic/computer controlled throttle that sometimes refuses to give a shot of gas when I give it a quick poke when downshifting and double clutching. This is a nice little car, but there seem to be some opportunities to do some serious mods to how it runs.
I would like to hear others comments on my experience and opinions.
Cheers
Rod

Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
hmm im not sure about the clutch damper thing since i live in California, but i do notice that when the engine is cold it drives drastically differently, i try not to exceed 3000rpm while the cold light is on. As for the blipping concern, i feel it too! Alot of times i'll feel it when downshifting to 2nd gear. I notice it more during rev-matching though... I guess it's because when im heel toeing im concentrating on other aspects like timing and such.