General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Major AT shifting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Maximuz
im a bit of a car noob.
im just teasing, no worries.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcapo
They might give you shit about the mods because they may say it voided your warranty and so they might not do it for free.

As far as the a/t thing did you shift from d into s while driving or any other gear possibly?
You know I thought about that and the first 2 times it happened I had done that quite a bit-- I mean I do drive pretty "spiritedly" for the most part and shift up and down and routinely switch from D to S-- (you know, trying to act like/wishing I had MT). But it happened today after driving VERY normally and not shifting from D to S or paddle shifting or anything.

Whatever if they void the warranty. I just want it fixed. If the problem is in some way due to the mods than that's fair enough. But if they just say that to get out of honoring the warranty, then they suck and what can you do? I will certainly let everyone here and elsehwere know if that happens. Considering the tuner market for Hondas in general, I think it would be more widely known if it was a common scenario.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Man your problem sucks a lot. I read it this morning but didn't know how to respond cuz I feel bad for you haha. It definitely is honda's fault. My guess is maybe the "switches" that help the shifter communicate with the computer is not working or loose. Like maybe when you go to N, it's not signalling the AI to go to neutral.

Did this problem occur recently? or it existed since you bought it?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
no don't worry about the warranty stuff. The shifter itself has a tiny actuator that is triggered by depressing the gas pedal. This is a safety technique so u don't accidentally shift into Reverse while the car is rolling and avoiding a real bad tranny grind. I think that's the culprit, it might be getting jammed. It's either going 2 be the button on the brake pedal or it's going 2 be the actuator itself or maybe even the button on the shifter knob, that might be getting stuck. Keep us updated.

OH btw my AT has 49k miles on it and no problems ever. I <3 my AT tranny, seriously.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
seconded.

<3 my AT Trans.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 AM
GOOD NEWS! for the most part anyway.

The problem was a BOLT STUCK IN THE SHIFTER PATH!! This happened, sure enough, during the installation of the new header. Honda was VERY VERY cool about it and pointed out that of course they could not fix it on any warranty grounds (obviously), but nonetheless the DID NOT CHARGE ME TO REMOVE THE BOLT-- even though they clearly identified it as coming from/occurring during the header install-- which makes sense too because it started THE NIGHT OF THE HEADER INSTALL!

So it was no faulty systems on the car.

Apparently there is some opening in the region that is enough for something like this to occur, just FYI.

MAJOR FREAKIN' PROPS to my dealer-- GILLMAN HONDA here in Houston for being so cool about it and not charging me a penny to fix a performance shop's mess up that occurred while installing a an after-market part. I feel bad for doubting my dealer initially. They did not have to do this at no charge and I would have gladly paid for their service.

I am a little disappointed (not mad though, really) in the shop that did the header swap-- an easy procedure that I could have done myself, but was trying to support/forge a relationship with my local race shop-- but accidents happen and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an oversight of some kind (though I must say I am a little concerned).

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
GOOD NEWS! for the most part anyway.

The problem was a BOLT STUCK IN THE SHIFTER PATH!! This happened, sure enough, during the installation of the new header. Honda was VERY VERY cool about it and pointed out that of course they could not fix it on any warranty grounds (obviously), but nonetheless the DID NOT CHARGE ME TO REMOVE THE BOLT-- even though they clearly identified it as coming from/occurring during the header install-- which makes sense too because it started THE NIGHT OF THE HEADER INSTALL!

So it was no faulty systems on the car.

Apparently there is some opening in the region that is enough for something like this to occur, just FYI.

MAJOR FREAKIN' PROPS to my dealer-- GILLMAN HONDA here in Houston for being so cool about it and not charging me a penny to fix a performance shop's mess up that occurred while installing a an after-market part. I feel bad for doubting my dealer initially. They did not have to do this at no charge and I would have gladly paid for their service.

I am a little disappointed (not mad though, really) in the shop that did the header swap-- an easy procedure that I could have done myself, but was trying to support/forge a relationship with my local race shop-- but accidents happen and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that it was an oversight of some kind (though I must say I am a little concerned).

sweet! I am glad that you have a cool dealership.

Suggestion: down at the bottom of the forum list (y'know: fit talk, pic and vids, ect) there is a dealership evaluation forum. Do a quick copypaste thing to spread the word of good dealerships.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
that's great news. sorry to hear about the shop that did the work. f'in dumb-asses.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thats awesome Jeff...glad you got some good news.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Hey Loza, whose the shop with the guy you said a k-swap Fit here in town? Or who is the other guy that posts on here "RSX"-something is is posting name, sounds like he knows what's up.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
The guy with the K20 Honda Fit is Randy from Attitude Racing. I can pm you his number if you need it. Im not too sure about the other person though. What did you need done?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I just want to find THE shop I go to when I need work of any kind done. I want them to "get it" and know my car-- a true performance/tuning/race shop and not some auto repair place...I am a little bummed on the "bolt in the shifter affair" from my last experience, who shall remain nameless out of respect for the fact that it might have been a simple accident.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Should have taken off your mod's before you went to the dealership for warranty work.
i think this too. never know what they could say.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
My dealership seemed like they couldn't care less that I had mods. They fixed a problem CAUSED BY A MOD for FREE!

Damn I was stoked.