General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any AT buyers who wish they bought MT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Any AT buyers who wish they bought MT?

So I'm seriously struggling with my decision here as to whether or not I should get a MT or an AT fit.

the MT is obviously quite a bit faster(2 seconds 0-60 is significant where i come from).
the MT gets on average 8 mpg better than the AT.
the MT has an excellent gearbox.

but
the AT is less of a hassle to drive, i could maybe even hold my girlfriend's hand for longer than 8 seconds.
the AT does have cool paddle shifters.

Anyone want to add to my lists?

And, has anyone wished they would have bought MT instead of AT?(Or the other way around!)

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I live in SF...and on the edge fortunately. The DBW makes you overestimate the fit's power. I've stalled on the hills of SF before. the drive by wire makes you think the car is torqueir than it really is.

I think AT also revs lower, which is another advantage because it's quieter on the highway.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drzenitram
So I'm seriously struggling with my decision here as to whether or not I should get a MT or an AT fit.

the MT is obviously quite a bit faster(2 seconds 0-60 is significant where i come from).
the MT has an excellent gearbox.

but
the AT is less of a hassle to drive, i could maybe even hold my girlfriend's hand for longer than 8 seconds.
the AT does have cool paddle shifters.

Anyone want to add to my lists?

And, has anyone wished they would have bought MT instead of AT?(Or the other way around!)
I just got my AT Sport 4 days ago and I love it! I'm glad I didn't go MT. My last car, 2002 Civic was MT and, although it's awesome having control of the car, I just got sick of it. I don't know, maybe I'm getting old and lazy. But I'm happy with the AT. If I wanted a fast car I wouldn't have gone with a Fit.

I agree with you with holding the girlfriend's hand. Sucks when I had to keep on letting go to reach for the short shifter.

And one of the reasons that I got the Fit Sport AT is so that my mom and my girlfriend can drive the car whenever they want/need. One of the strong selling points for me was the paddle shifters, so that I can have my fun when I have the urge. Some other cars that come with paddle shifters:

-Nissan GTR
-M3 SMG
-Lambo's
-Ferrari's
-Formula 1 Cars

Good enough for them, good enough for me

Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drzenitram
It might, if all your driving is slow, city driving, and you drive it like a granny. The automatic gets better highway MPG due to lower revs. So it all depends on your area and your style of driving. Manual is quicker and more fun. Auto is easier and revs lower. Get one of each.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
You can hold hands and still drive manual, just make her shift with you! That way you guys can establish a better relationship by doing things together.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
My last vehicle was a MT. It was great when I lived out in the boonies, but once I moved to the city it became a pain in the ass, especially in rush hour traffic. So when I bought my Fit S, I had to go with AT.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
You can hold hands and still drive manual, just make her shift with you! That way you guys can establish a better relationship by doing things together.

or if you trust her (after teaching, and teaching each other things is great for the relationship), have her shift and you can keep you hand on her leg! They usually have fun playing with the stick. uhhh, pun kinda intended.

you can shift by yourself when she is not around.

Paddle shifters are cool, but having that third peddle is cooler.

MT is cheaper and in my opinion, way more fun to drive.

MT ftw!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Retired Moderator
Im going to be honest and say i wish i had the MT. When i bought my Fit i had really no thoughts of any mods or anything and i was not in the scene much. I thought the paddles were the coolest so thats why i bought the AT.
I wish i had the MT cause i want performance, im going to start AutoX soon and MT is much better for any track event or AutoX. Plus i would get more HP out of a MT when i SuperCharge, the AT does not gain as much as the MT.
The paddles are fun though. I use them everyday, gives me more control over the car. Makes it more MT'ish lol.
Good luck.

Tyler

Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove both. I did feel that the MT had more control, and that AT has a hard time shifting up from 3rd gear, but a simple tap on the paddle in D or S will solve that.
I dont really think one is faster than the other, just that people mistake shifting control for gain in power.
I knew that in the city MT was impossible, especially on backed up highways and busy streets.
after about a day I learned how to properly utilize the AT and found the torque converter on the fit wasnt bad at all.
besides I've never heard of a 8mpg gain with MT :3

..now which ones easier to mod? xD

/ i cant believe the new gt-r is AT, that was shocking

Old 04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
ah yeah.. another thing is that the girlfriend REFUSES to learn to drive stick. Even just helping me shift annoys her.

..yeah, I got one of those :-P 3 years and 2 months into it I can't really trade her out for the MT version.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
They usually have fun playing with the stick. uhhh, pun kinda intended.

you can shift by yourself when she is not around.
Pun intended again? Truer words were never spoken.
They say 95% of men shift by themselves when their girlfriends are not around, and the other 5% lie about it.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
There will be regrets either way

You just need to decide which regrets you'll regret less. For me, driving in traffic and teaching my kids to drive in a couple of years were things I would definitely regret less on an automatic. I'm over the drive fast/more control thing, especially since the engine on the Fit is so small. I really like the lower revs at highway speeds. YTMV. (Your Tastes May Vary)

RG

Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Drive the AT and you'll want it, it shifts really quickly, the highway revs are great (or lack thereof) as well as knowing you have a Hondamatic SportShift, which is one of the most innovative auto transmissions on the road. I'm a technology geek so i love the fact that Honda holds more patents than any company for their AT design, it's THAT different from a conventional AT. Look it up on world.honda.com I posted the article here a while ago! But whatever you decide, the Fit is an amazing car, MT or AT, but my vote definitely is for the AT!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
I currently have the AT. To be Honest if i could do it again, i would have gotten a MT. The AT is great for busy traffic and stuff, but really it just takes a lot of the fun away from the car imho. Also from what i've been reading, the MT is better suited for mods (obvious), and gas mileage is significantly higher.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
i wish i wouldve gotten manual instead..but since i cant do annything about it...im going to work with what i have and be just as fast as MT one day

Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Some other cars that come with paddle shifters:

-Nissan GTR
-M3 SMG
-Lambo's
-Ferrari's
-Formula 1 Cars

Good enough for them, good enough for me
not the same technology as the fit

Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
The Fit isn't meant to be a fast car. I commute a lot and love the AT during rush hour traffic, but I do wish I had a MT for more control of the car for when I do suspension work and take my car to AutoX. We'll see how fun it is to paddle shift during the turns.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
i do kind of wish that i had gotten the manual, but when i actually think about it that would've completely defeated the original purpose of the car, which was to get a car that would be great on mileage on the highway.

i guess i didn't realize how fun the little thing was and how much MORE fun it could be if it was an MT. oh well, my AT is serving me faithfully

Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
I was originaly looking at getting a MT but when i found out it was another 2 months I went for the AT. There are some days that I kind of wish I would have gotten the MT, but I still have alot of fun with the paddle shifting. Driving in heavy traffic and in the city is alot less of a hassle with the AT. One downer is that some times other car enthusiast seem to look down on you just because you are modding a AT.

Last edited by MNfit; 04-10-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
I was originaly looking at getting a MT but when i found out it was another 2 months I went for the AT. There are some days that I kind of wish I would have gotten the MT, but I still have alot of fun with the paddle shifting. Driving in heavy traffic and in the city is alot less of a hassle with the AT. One downer is that some times other car enthusiast seem to look down on you just because you are modding a AT.
VERY WELL PUT

Quick Reply: Any AT buyers who wish they bought MT?