General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Any AT buyers who wish they bought MT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
In the future, my wife/kids will learn to drive MT. This I vow.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Cause your transmission is geared differently and you rev higher at freeway cruising speeds.
revs rarely tell the whole story. Remember a a shorter gear ratio u need less throttle to achieve a certain amt of acceleration. In the end on the BEST scenario (long long highway)the AT only gets around 1 mpg more. And on more realistic driving paths the MT will get higher highway mileage

Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
i bought a at because my wife only had one leg but now that i'm getting divorced i'm really angry i didnt buy a manual. doesnt matter anyways there was a 3 month wait on a mt and the auto was in stock in the color i wanted!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
sounds like alot of people here buy the AT for convience due to rush hour trafic, or due to there living situation.

however performance wise, people seem to perfer the MT more, even those already with the AT.

I wanted a car i could mod like crazy and get the most out of it. I work in the middle of downtown vancouver and always in rush hour trafic going there and going home. Its a pain in the ass sometimes, but those times on the weekends when i can really enjoy my car, its all worth it

Old 04-12-2008, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vafitfreak
i bought a at because my wife only had one leg but now that i'm getting divorced i'm really angry i didnt buy a manual. doesnt matter anyways there was a 3 month wait on a mt and the auto was in stock in the color i wanted!!!
omg too funny man .. only because you're getting divorced though

Old 04-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't wish I had got the MT, partly because my wife can't drive stick too well. Plus the AT will bring a higher asking price down the road if I ever decide to sell it. The AT is very smooth and the paddle shifters are actually kinda cool to use, or at least I can brag to others that its just like a Ferrari, LOL!

Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by dande4au
Plus the AT will bring a higher asking price down the road if I ever decide to sell it.
That's not true is it? AT depreciates faster than a stick shift. A used stick shift car costs more than a used automatic.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
That's not true is it? AT depreciates faster than a stick shift. A used stick shift car costs more than a used automatic.
that's what i thought too? hmm..

Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Well I live in Southeast Alabama, where most of the people here are not smart enough to drive a manual. The owner of the dealership that I bought my Fit from says that they only sell 1 Fit every three months and he has never sold a manual Fit.

I would love to have a manual, because I drove one last year and it did feel so much quicker. I await the day when I can get an S2000, not really as much with the Fit. Its a good little family car. If I get a manual it would be something a lot more powerful, more fun that way.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
AT's fetch a higher resale value, much like they fetch a higher sale value. Only selective bunch of cars will you find it the other way around (typically more enthusiast cars). I know in the MR2 scene the Auto's would fetch you less but that's just cause of the low production model's and the sportiness of the vehicle dictate it be that way. However in larger production cars with a larger demographic of buyers an automatic nets higher resale than a manual.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
I prefer a MT because you can roll-start it if you have to. Also, I feel like I'm in more control over the driving experience, if that makes any sense. In the end, MT is one heckuva lot more fun to drive.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
My LX AT has standard 1,2, and D3 plus D. I can start off from the driveway in 1 and let the car warm up B4 I hit the street. On the highway I use D3 to accel. up to 80KPH, ease off on the gas and put it into D.

When the temps are down to -35 I never let the the AT shift until I have driven for a few minutes. And in snow and ice I have the standard gears to take it carefully. A mechanic friend of mine also sugg. putting the car in
nuetral while it is warming up, something about more tranny fluid movement than Park, but not sure about that.

Best of both worlds.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Antpwny
AT's fetch a higher resale value, much like they fetch a higher sale value. Only selective bunch of cars will you find it the other way around (typically more enthusiast cars). I know in the MR2 scene the Auto's would fetch you less but that's just cause of the low production model's and the sportiness of the vehicle dictate it be that way. However in larger production cars with a larger demographic of buyers an automatic nets higher resale than a manual.

exactly. maybe a manual transmissioned white sport fit with the black interior will be the exception to this rule, but in volume cars like civic, accords (just speaking honda here) its the A/T's that get the higher resale value.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Quote from Car & Driver's test of Fit Sport Auto...

"So there's this institutional prejudice we harbor when we plant our backsides into any automatic-equipped subcompact. Which is precisely what makes the Honda Fit Sport automatic a pleasant surprise. As subcompact automatics go, it actually goes. Okay, 0 to 60 mph in 10.4 seconds isn't likely to produce brownouts in your peripheral vision. The manual Fit Sport in our May comparo, "$15,000 Cheap Skates," did the same sprint in 8.7 seconds. But it's not bad for cars at this end of the spectrum, it's far more entertaining to operate than competing automatics, and it's well suited to urban driving."

So it's a 1.7 second difference from that source. While not a lot in absolute terms, that 1.7 seconds is a 20% penalty.

C&D consistently gets the fastest acceleration times because they do clutch drops or brake torquing to wring every bit of performance out. Less aggressive launch techniques (feathering the clutch or just stomping the gas in the auto) return times like Consumer Reports' 9.9 seconds for the manual and 12.4 seconds for the auto.

i guess its all relative. most 0-60 times on the a/t fit don't reveal if they are doing it in sport mode, drive, or paddle shifting. all those modes can yield different times. its actually funny that you quote c/d, because they actually mentioned in their first drive that the auto felt 'peppier' than the manual.

edmunds auto and manual times have been pretty close as well. c/d can't do the same aggressive launches with the manual, so who know how much closer that number would have been if they would have driven normally for a change....

Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
i guess its all relative. most 0-60 times on the a/t fit don't reveal if they are doing it in sport mode, drive, or paddle shifting. all those modes can yield different times. its actually funny that you quote c/d, because they actually mentioned in their first drive that the auto felt 'peppier' than the manual.

edmunds auto and manual times have been pretty close as well. c/d can't do the same aggressive launches with the manual, so who know how much closer that number would have been if they would have driven normally for a change....
I remember reading this article. I remember 3 things specifically about it:

1) They tested both 'S' (with paddle shifters) and 'D' mode;
2) 'S' mode gave a .5 seconds better time than 'D'.
3) The 10.4 seconds is the results they gave in the test when in 'S' mode.
So, since 'S' was .5 seconds faster, I assume D was 10.9 seconds.

What I can't remember is if they said anything about using the paddles at all in 'D' mode.....

I agree the bit about C&D being pretty agressive in their tests (dropping clutch, etc.) Their numbers are almost always faster on any test than most of the other mags....

Last edited by RedAndy; 04-15-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added paddle shifter clarification for 1)
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
In regards to an answer to the original question posed by this thread: every day my brothers, every day.

AT was a big mistake for me and now I am stuck with it but determined to make the most of it (i.e. Kraftwerks supercharger, etc.). Thank God they are offering it for the AT or my car would have to get "stolen" or something because I really wish I had an MT. I didn't expect to mod anywhere near as much as I have ended up, and at the time, like so many others, there were NO MTs to be had in the whole city, and the wait was "indefinite" I was told, though I know now that that is something the sales guy will tell you because he wants to sell you one that's on the lot so don't fall for it if you really want an MT-- trust me, they will find you. I was just impatient and rationalized that the silly paddle shifters would make up for it...stupid.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
im getting the AT so my girl can drive it hope im not disapointed

Last edited by pwnstar; 04-17-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by pwnstar
not sure if anyone said this yet or if im going to far lol dont kick me off the fourms or anything but you cant do "Things" in the car with your girl wail driving a 5-speed either AT FTW!!
personally i prefer to do those things while stopped...

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM
lol you seen that before i changed it haha i dident wanna keep that post there and get banned for it so i changed it

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
In regards to the paddle shifting on the AT, I let a friend of mine drive my Fit and he was impressed. He owns a 2004 Accord V6 AT, and he said that the paddle shifter on my Fit was faster to respond than when he would manually shift his automatic.

On a side note, his car is great! When he bought it, it was one that was on the showroom floor with aftermarket wheels and the body kit. Of course, he replaced the stock exhaust with Flowmasters. He let me drive it once so he could listen to his exhaust from the outside.