General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Sub Par Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Sub Par Mileage

Hello everyone. I have been looking at the Fit for a while now and doing a bunch of reading and I'm somewhat mystified by the Fit's MPG. Honda has long been the champion of fuel efficiency and when I saw they were bringing the Beat to America in the form of the Fit I was really surprised it didn't get better mileage. Is it the gearing or the variable timing that keeps the MPG lower than I would expect?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i think it all depends on what you consider low gas mileage. there is a BUTT LOAD of reading to show people's mpg reviews.

like i stated about 2 minutes ago in a nother thread, when my wife drives my fit....she gets roughly 3mpg better than i do.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by gimme
i think it all depends on what you consider low gas mileage. there is a BUTT LOAD of reading to show people's mpg reviews.

like i stated about 2 minutes ago in a nother thread, when my wife drives my fit....she gets roughly 3mpg better than i do.
A lot of the reading I did was based on real world mileage. I know what the specs say but that is normally different than what you can expect on the road. And of course when looking for real world mileage it's hard to separate the hyper-milers and the normal drivers. I consider normal to be five over the speed limit drivers.

I consider the Fit to be less than spectacular in the mileage department because I would expect better mileage from a sub compact, 1.5 lt car. I have the 1.5 lt engine in my Yaris sedan and I average 37-42 MPG with normal driving so I was wondering why the Fit falls short of this with the same sized engine?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Welcome to fitfreak.

There are several things to consider when thinking about the fuel efficiency of the Fit. I think the biggest drawback for the Fit are: its shape and its age.

Shape: The Fit has a very tall profile and its rear end is not tapered like sedans are. Thus its fuel efficiency at highway speeds is not as good as an 8th gen civic or a 10th gen corolla.

Age: The Fit and its engine was debuted in 2001. I would think that newer engines would be more optimized for fuel efficiency.

Despite its shape and age, on paper (EPA estimates), Fit gets similar (although slightly lower) mileage as the 8th gen civic or the 10th gen corolla. But in real life (based on polls), I think fuel efficiency for the Fit is better.

P.S. The Beat is a not the same car as the Fit.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
I didnt realize you have a Yaris Sedan.
Maybe the 200 pounds difference between the Fit and Yaris plays a role.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
You are correct about the Beat. My mistake.

I never would have imagined the Fit would weigh more than the Yaris sedan.

I really do like the Fit though I do think the tires are a touch small but what always sells me on a car is the interior and features. The Fit shines in the features department. I have planned on the Fit being my next car if Toyota doesn't get their heads out of their arses and offer the five door Yaris LB.

It'd be nice to see Honda and Toyota start offering diesel versions here in the US as well.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blaw

Shape: The Fit has a very tall profile and its rear end is not tapered like sedans are. Thus its fuel efficiency at highway speeds is not as good as an 8th gen civic or a 10th gen corolla.

Age: The Fit and its engine was debuted in 2001. I would think that newer engines would be more optimized for fuel efficiency.
You don't really think the Fit engine is that old do you?

I do agree about the shape that plows through the air and I never did find
the drag coefficient for a Jazz/Fit.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
if you don't get AWESOME mileage, it's you. not the car.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
if you don't get AWESOME mileage, it's you. not the car.
It's definitely not that simple. Try using the Fit in hot Las Vegas. I took my Fit there for a weekend. I understand what those people complain about.