General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Second time being curious about the fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008 | 11:03 AM
|
Second time being curious about the fit

Hey Fitters. I just had a few questions about your car, and the salespeople at Honda arent of much help because none of them own the car. Just a few questions, wont take you too long I hope.

1. How many problems have you had with the car so far if any
2. How many miles are on it?
3. Is it a 5-speed or auto?
4. What is your MPG and where do you do most of your driving (city, highway, mixed)
5. What are things you particularly like about the car?
6. What are things you particularly dislike about the car?
7. Is it "fun to drive"?
8. How is the stereo quality?
9. How is the aftermarket so far?
10. Post a pic so I can get some idea for what people are doing.
11. If you post a pic, if you dont mind telling how much you have spent on the mods would be great.

Any other things I should know about the car that you could let me know would be apretiated.

Thanks a lot!

I work for a dealership and we get our cars through the Manheim auto auctions so I can get them for a lot cheaper than retail price, so hopefully by the end of the summer Ill have enough money to get something else.

Right now I drive a 2001 Honda Civic LX, and I get pretty good gas mileage, but I want something newer since my car is coming up on 121k miles anyday now.

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
UMMMMMMMMMMMMM do a search all of these topics have been gone over and over again. good luck

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
1. There's a rattle in the dash, that's all.
2. I'm closing in on 7,000
3. 5MT
4. Averaging 32mpg, mostly city
5. The space, the 5MT, the looks, a lot
6. The rattle in the dash :-\
7. VERY fun to drive
8. The Sport has an upgraded 200W stereo and it's good enough for my needs
9. Aftermarket is pretty big for such a short lived car. There are many JDM imports if you got the money
10. I haven't done much to the exterior, except for 35% tint and the Megan axle-back:

11. Blox 450g shift knob - $50
Megan axleback - ~$200
A-Spec intake - ~$120
LED cargo and dome light - ~$10
DIY LED 3rd brake light - ~$10

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
1. None Yet
2. 9200
3. Auto
4.about 33 mpg with mixed driving (60%/40%)
5. fun to drive/versatile
6. lack of power/gets uncomfortable after long drives
7. VERY
8. for stock....it's actually pretty nice, you can feel the base and everything (on Sport atleast)
9. It's growing bigger everyday, lots of cool stuff are out already
10. To lazy ><...
11. same..but mods are JDM Badges, JDM window visors, 20% Tint. thats it as far as exterior mods go. only have an intake for go mods.

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by fitfreek
1. How many problems have you had with the car so far if any? Minimal. Getting my shift boot replaced but was aware of the problem when I bought the car. Also have an odd rattle when in 5th gear at about 58-60mph, getting checked out in 2 weeks.

2. How many miles are on it? Between 5 and 6 thousand

3. Is it a 5-speed or auto? 5 speed

4. What is your MPG and where do you do most of your driving (city, highway, mixed) Consistantly getting 36 to 38 mpg. I'd say it's mixed.

5. What are things you particularly like about the car? Great gas mileage, interior trim is much nicer then some 30k cars I've owned. Responsive steering and handling. Did I mention great gas mileage???

6. What are things you particularly dislike about the car? Cheap interior carpet. Lack of dead pedal (though fixable).

7. Is it "fun to drive"? YES!!!!!

8. How is the stereo quality? I have the sport model and I think that the stereo is great. However, I'm not toooo terribly picky when it comes to that.

9. How is the aftermarket so far? Honestly, all of have done is window tint and I don't think I'll be doing much else.

10. Post a pic so I can get some idea for what people are doing. Imagine a Fit with tinted windows....
My responses are in bold above.... welcome aboard!

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:48 PM
|
Thanks for your responses people.

The cheap carpet couldnt that technically be remedied by just getting some OEM floormats and covering the "carpet" that comes in the fit from wear?

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your responses people.

The cheap carpet couldnt that technically be remedied by just getting some OEM floormats and covering the "carpet" that comes in the fit from wear?
Yep. Within 2 weeks there was already a deep wear pattern in the carpet. That's why I got floormats.

Old 03-30-2008 | 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
you guys with the holes and stuff in the carpet. you must have some fidgety legs LOL. i have 8k miles and about 6 months in my fit and my carpet is holding up great.

Old 03-30-2008 | 01:36 PM
|
What exactly makes this car so fun to drive?? Ive driven mini coopers and had a blast, but never had a go with the fit..any insight to this?

Old 03-30-2008 | 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
What exactly makes this car so fun to drive?? Ive driven mini coopers and had a blast, but never had a go with the fit..any insight to this?
From C&D's "$15,000 Cheap Skates Comparison" (Fit Sport got 1st)
$15,000 Cheap Skates - Comparison Test/Station Wagons/Comparison Test/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

"What truly set the Fit apart was its handling — not a pretense of handling but the real deal, with springs and struts that allowed one gentle rebound and no more, the only car here that felt happy storming the switchbacks. We later confirmed this when the Fit sailed through our lane-change test 6 mph faster than anything else here — faster, in fact, than a Corvette Z06."

And I'm pretty sure another magazine noted that the Fit got through the slalom faster than the Ferrari 360 F1 they tested did.

The most common description of the Fit's handling is read/hear is that it handles like a go-kart. And that description is always positive when I read/hear it.

Old 03-30-2008 | 01:49 PM
|
What was the actual slalom speed...I found the lane change test at 72mph i think but I cant find much else

Old 03-30-2008 | 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
1. How many problems have you had with the car so far if any
2. How many miles are on it?
3. Is it a 5-speed or auto?
4. What is your MPG and where do you do most of your driving (city, highway, mixed)
5. What are things you particularly like about the car?
6. What are things you particularly dislike about the car?
7. Is it "fun to drive"?
8. How is the stereo quality?
9. How is the aftermarket so far?
10. Post a pic so I can get some idea for what people are doing.
11. If you post a pic, if you dont mind telling how much you have spent on the mods would be great.

1. Dash rattles all over, door rattles.
2. 5000
3. 5MT
4. Averaging 32, highest is 34. However this is pretty amazing considering I'm driving on sticky performance tires and I spend at least 1/4 of each tank on back roads revving the hell out of it.
5. LOVE the look, LOVE the color (orange), LOVE the leather steering wheel, and of course the performance! My friends all think my car is awesome and really unique.
6. Build quality is sub-par (rattles, poor paint). Interior is not very nice compared to a Corolla or a Jetta/Rabbit. The materials quality is OK but the design is rather dull, especially since we can't get a beige interior anymore. Stock ride is very bouncy, but springs clear that up.
7. YES! It is the reason why I put up with compromises in other areas, the performance is out of this world for a small cheap car. Honda should really market it as a Mini Cooper competitor, not as an econo-car. The engine is not powerful, but I love the high-revving character and the sound is great. Steering feel is fantastic for an electric steering system if you upgrade the tires. With the stock tires, steering feel is kind of poor.
8. Not very good, but base Honda stereos rarely are any good. It's powerful enough but tinny and lacks depth. But I'm an audiophile with $400+ earphones and such, so my standards are different. Head unit is very versatile though.
9. Aftermarket is great, and it's cheap to mod.
11. About $1500 in mods. Going to spend about $600 to get a sunroof this summer, I think.

Also, Edmunds Insideline slalomed the Fit at 67.5mph using the god-awful stock Dunlops. A 2007 Mini Cooper S did it in 68.5, and it had 17" wheels and sports tires. The MB C350 Sport did it in 67.6mph and the 335i Sedan in 69.2mph.

Last edited by coupdetat; 03-30-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2008 | 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
What was the actual slalom speed...I found the lane change test at 72mph i think but I cant find much else
Motor Trend says the avg slalom speed is 65.4mph
Edmunds tested 63.3mph
honda-fit.info got 65.5mph
Couldn't find what C&D got for the slalom run :-\

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:08 PM
|
Originally Posted by coupdetat
1. Dash rattles all over, door rattles.
6. Build quality is sub-par (rattles, poor paint). Interior is not very nice compared to a Corolla or a Jetta/Rabbit. The materials quality is OK but the design is rather dull, especially since we can't get a beige interior anymore. Stock ride is very bouncy, but springs clear that up.
See I duno if I want to pay 10k for a car that rattles, then again, are there any fixes to the rattles???

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Some members do have issues with rattles and there are fixes for some. However, there is a good number who do not have any rattles at all!

Old 03-30-2008 | 03:15 PM
|
Originally Posted by cojaro
Some members do have issues with rattles and there are fixes for some. However, there is a good number who do not have any rattles at all!
Thanks for the reply.

I have a list in my room of cars that I am considering buying to replace my civic and I have everything from the Honda fit to a Dodge srt-4, to a Terminator Cobra, so I am not really set on anything thus far, just trying to get as much info on everything as I can