General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Automatic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Automatic or Manual?

So I'm getting a Fit within the next 2 weeks (hell yeah, in black) and I'm hella excited because I currently drive an Acura Legend. The thing is, the Legend is an automatic, and I was considering giving manuals a wing, but then I found out the Fit Sport has paddle shifters to switch gears right on the steering wheel if put into "S." Now this was really cool news to me, and made me wonder how many people who drove manuals usually got the automatic. Now I know the manual is cheaper, but I like the ease of driving around an automatic, but the additional paddle shifters for whenever I feel like pushing it sounds really good to me.

So what do you guys have? The automatic sounds like a lot of fun, but maybe there's something that I don't know that will help save me a grand or two by getting a manual instead.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard a lot about how much slower the AT's are compared to the MT's. That, and that the AT's, in somewhat hilly terrain, tend to search for gears like it's not sure which gear would be best.

Also, the MT's seem to get better city mileage.

Plus, the MT's are fun, fun, fun!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Also just saw someone's thread about their wheels getting jacked even though they were stocked... Are wheel locks worth getting?

Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hondas seem to be regular targets for thieves, so I would recommend it. Easier to pay $50 (or however much they are) for wheel locks than to have to get new rims/tires for a car that's not going anywhere soon.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
Plus, the MT's are fun, fun, fun!
QFT.
I think the wheel locks would deter thieves from getting your wheels, but if they really want them, I don't think they'll help that much. But then again, do they REALLY want a set of Fit wheels that much?
Anyways, I'd go with a set of wheel locks regardless, maybe you can get a set of wheel locks thrown in or something when you're buying the car.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the 5MT on the Fit is very easy to shift and engage, clutch is
light weight and drives pretty much effortlessly. mine's a dd.

this is just my personal opinion...

AT's with manual mode is fun to drive if you have local twisties
where you can play around with the shifter. if you're in a flat
borning almost 99% straight road chicagoland like me, AT can
get boring VERY fast. this is one of the 2 primary reasons why
i prefer MT over AT.

the 2nd issue is the disconnect you have on the torque converter
in general. i dont know about the Fit's AT, but all AT's that ive
driven had some level of slop between when you input the throttle
to when the drivetrain connects. that bothers me. on a MT,
once the clutch is enganged, it's engaged... no slop other than
the drivetrain bushings' play. when i drive a car quickly that's the
first thing i notice on AT's that keeps reminding me im a MT driver.
ive yet to try DSG... im hoping it's better on those.
just somethings to think about.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Much love, kenchan. :b Looking around these forums actually makes me want to get a silver one instead and possibly switch to manual and with the saved grand throw in a navigation system. 8)

Thanks a lot, guys.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Well,being an Auto man myself,I say go with it.I owned a 2007 STI and all the shifting during rush hour or traffic construction was terrible.Plus in an emergency,it's nice to know you could drive yourself(or someone else could),to get help.If your planning on tracking your car or driving on empty road's,get the stick.If like me and drive in heavy traffic and have a few old injuries(sport's related),get an auto.PS.I also like that I can eat and drive with an auto. when I'm out all night.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Mr.Ball. Automatic does sound ideal, but the saving of a grand and getting a navigation system with the ability to drive stick (which is supposed to be way more fun) is more appealing. :b

Also, what does "GD" stand for? I'm not really going to tune up this Fit, but the red JDM emblems are absolutely sexy and I want them immediately.

These right here

Do they fit perfectly on an all-stock Fit?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Those are way to much .You can go to Robear Racing or ICBMotorsport's.com and purchase those at a cheaper price.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Ball
Those are way to much .You can go to Robear Racing or ICBMotorsport's.com and purchase those at a cheaper price.
It appears so, you just made it an even faster purchase for me. So I assume they fit perfectly fine on a stock just as it is if you're helping me find a cheaper deal.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
do you want good gas mileage? do you want to get the most out of your L15 motor? get the manual transmission.

ive never heard of someone converting from manual to auto LOL. *aside from V8 drag cars*

Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I installed the one's from Robear,no problem's.Just be careful taking off the stock emblem's so you don't mess up your paint.Fishing line or a towel over a screw driver will pry the stock one's off.If you need anything else just ask.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
i own a AT, but i just rode in a MT fit yesterday, and it's so much faster. go with the MT, it's faster and more fun. if i could do it again, i'd get the MT.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
If you can go either way and don't need anyone else to be driving then I suggest the Manual transmission due to-

Much much much better mpg
Much lower price
Much less demand- in my area people want AT
Much better acceleration
Much more responsive
Much much much more fun to drive.

I own two Fit Sport ATs because my family wants AT.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 AM
I test drove both many times and extensively when I did. And I still am driving others just to check em out. ( I like seeing what little differences can make, and learning neat stuff)

I chose the MT because it felt like I was getting more out of the engine and had more control. In some cars I dont get that huge difference between the AT and MT versions but I really did in the Fit. My last ride was a 7th gen Civic coupe and I got it in an AT trim thinking it was better for all the commuting I did. But even coaxing gear changes with throttle modulation it never changed when I really wanted it to and I always felt the need to floor it. I didnt get alot of confidence in the Fits AT especially over my older Civic, so I went with the MT which gives me the control I want and I dont feel the constant need to floor it.

Though I must say even though it takes more effort in my Fit MT acceleration to 60-ish is very similar to my last civics AT. It just winds out real quick. The AT felt like a bigger drop in power but the revs were a little lower.

Its amazing to me that my 7th gens ease of acceleration (not the ex) being only about 6 more HP than the Fits seemed so much more at ease with acceleration and rpm. eh go figure.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
If you can drive MT, get the MT. Period.

At your position, u should only consider AT if someone else who doesn't know how to drive MT would occasionally have to drive your car.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Banned
Easiest manual car i have ever driven...I had an RSX Type S (pretty easy), a GTI for a little (kinda hard), and i drive my sisters G35 (harder manual)....The Fit MT is fun as hell to drive, buy manual IMO.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I vote for the MT also. In many/most, but not all, cases it will be faster and give you better gas mileage. Plus it's a ton more fun and engaging.

I haven't been successful with locating a MT Fit to test drive, but it can't possibly be that difficult if you know how to drive a stick. Even if it's difficult, it'll take a week or so and then you'll be fine. I drove a WRX and it was difficult to drive smoothly at first, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it and drove smoothly again.

That said, though, if you're coming from an automatic and have never driven stick before I would think twice before dropping money down on a brand new car to learn on. Maybe consider getting a cheap used car to mess around first so you can see how you like driving a manual transmission car. Also, the paddle shifter on the Honda Fit is okay... not that great. If you want to see a good paddle shifter in action, go test drive the GTI with the DSG transmission. That thing is wickedly smooth and very responsive.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I vote for AT... paddle shifters are alot of fun, very responsive. Oh, and the main part, YOU LIVE IN ORANGE COUNTY! 91,57,5,405,55,and 241 are all the numbers you will need to look at in order to understand why an AT is so important. It's probably the best auto i have driven (outside of DSG) and mileage is very good actually for me anyway. Whatever you choose, make sure it's a Honda haha

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual?