General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Automatic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
haha i didnt know people from orange county said hella. i thought that was a nor cal thing.

i say get a manual if you are comfortable with it. automatics are cool but, paddle shifters or not, no automatic will ever compare to having complete control of your engine.
I'm from Memphis and say hella o.O It's universal.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
I drive the AT because I'm a lose who can't drive a MT.

Don't make fun of me!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
I'm from Memphis and say hella o.O It's universal.

you guys stole it from us!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
???? i don't think there's a situation where having an AT is better than MT. lol
Well stop and go for some of us..and I took my first interstate trip in mine yesterday and it sure surprised me how quiet and smooth the little car is at speed. Not hearing the engine buzzing at 80mph is worth it for me but ymmv.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 AM
I can't believe someone just went there on this thread! (post #38)
and I can't believe I just commented on it....hahaahaaaaa

Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 AM
At or MT

alright my first fit was an automatic, and it was pretty slow. I thought it was cool too with the paddle shit and all that. But before i test drove a manual and it was alot more responsive. still went with the auto and found out later that it really sucked. so i took it back and got a sick deal on a manual and i took it aaaand now im stoked. its alot more responsive and over all more power. looking into clutch and flywheel upgrade, think it will help out alot.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=Wuze;269426]So I'm getting a Fit within the next 2 weeks (hell yeah, in black) and I'm hella excited because I currently drive an Acura Legend. The thing is, the Legend is an automatic, and I was considering giving manuals a wing, but then I found out the Fit Sport has paddle shifters to switch gears right on the steering wheel if put into "S." Now this was really cool news to me, and made me wonder how many people who drove manuals usually got the automatic. Now I know the manual is cheaper, but I like the ease of driving around an automatic, but the additional paddle shifters for whenever I feel like pushing it sounds really good to me.

I've had 142 cars in 50 years of driving, all manuals except one tow car Pontiac S/W for my race cars. I bought the Fit Sport auto for two reasons: first, I'm getting old, and second the automatic should spare me putting in clutches, and I thought imitating Michael would be a hoot.
And so it has turned out. While the auto is not as fast nor as fuel economical, it it every bit as much fun to drive. You'll find that the auto is a blessing in heavy traffic and more economical(29vs31 mpg) and faster in sport mode. If you want the convenience of both, get the paddled auto. As for control, I bet the auto shifts faster than the manual; but it is geared much higher. On track I only need the second and third gears, with fourth only occasionally.
If mpg and racing is your priority get the manual.
PS f the 142 cars I've owned, 54 were race cars. And no I can't imitate Michael even with Ferrari decals on the side. Got a few stares though.

Last edited by mahout; 04-01-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
you guys stole it from us!!!
*whispers "No, I'm pretty sure we got it from Cartman"*

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
I got an automatic fit about 3 months ago and I absolutely love it. I had originally wanted a manual economy car, but wife kept on pushing for an automatic car so I went with the Fit, one of the big reasons being that it was a manumatic and the paddle shifters seemed like a good comprimise. I have not regretted the decision at all, the "S" mode and the paddle shifters work really well and allow me to have a little fun and the car still has the manual fits athletic driving responses so the car feels very sporty for an economy car.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
HellaHellaHella...

Originally Posted by cojaro
*whispers "No, I'm pretty sure we got it from Cartman"*
Sings...
"You guys are hella-stupid, you guys are hella-lame, you guys are hella-dumb, hella, hella, hella..."