General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does EVERYONE Think I Want to Race?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I seem to have this all the time. Especially when I was rocking the green wheels. Just the other day I was driving home from the friends party. It was real late and this new Evo X pulling up beside me revving and making the car lunge forward. And Im sitting there thinking to myself. What a douchebag. You serioulsy just revved on a car that makes a 100hp. So I just looked at him and gave him a thumbs down and he proceeded to do a ricer fly by. I thought it was hilarous that he got his kicks by trying to race a car that only has 100hp.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
i can attest to the scion tc thing. scions marketing has CREATED ricers; they have capitalized on the concept of them. kids love it.

having said that, one day i decided counter back, and this xb with a couple of chicks in it tried to have a go. I figure we are both on the same page, little 100hp cars, so there should have been no feelings of superiorty other than for me, as i had the superior compact. needless to say they were suprised.

but i totally agree about that phobia, and i get picked on at work sometimes too. but then i bring up the general cost of gas, and how much stuff i can fit in it and how fun it is to drive and that usually shuts everyone up.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by airborne200208
i've found that there is a new phobia. i dont know the name yet, but it has to do with a fear of small cars. i get more shit from people at work about my car. it never ends. the most recent one is my headlights are bigger than my car. i also have problems in traffic, if i am going the speed limit, and am just going faster than someone, by the time i get to their fender they see a little orange car so they either pace me or blow by me. i get cut off, brake checked, tail gaited, you name it. same when in my del sol, but not my ridgeline.
I never noticed but I think it's because that's how everyone drives in NYC.

No one ever tried to race me, plus, where are they gonna go? They'll hit a red light a block away.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Illusive, I think there are 2 factors in why people does that. 1, people in Calgary drives fast compare to other Canadian cities (with exception of Quebec and Toronto), they alway thinks a small car will slow them down if it is in front or near them. 2, if you have modded your car to "look" fast some will try to race you, regardless if the mod is for looks or performance.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Retired Moderator
I'm still in freakin winter mode LOL! It's disappointing that people in Calgary still drive wayyyy over the speed limit. I can understand ~10km/h or less above the posted limit, but when they are flooring it going 20-30km/h over, that's just asking for it. Where are the cops when you need them?

On that note, I did witness something funny in my Fit once. I was driving along about to turn onto a semi-highway with an 80km/h limit. One car in each lane in front of me, an older Mustang and a Talon. Both cars started to rev at each other and of course I'm thinking to myself...what a bunch of morons...light goes green, they launch wheels spinning...and I see the car behind me whip out to the other lane and floor it to get behind them as I do my usual normal start...turns out it was the fuzz hahahahaha...both cars SLAMMED on their brakes and the cops trailed them for a little bit then proceeded to turn on their lights to pull them over...

Last edited by Illusive; 03-27-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Agreed on the TC's.... pretty funny how that works out... whereas some of the most respectable drivers I see are in xBs.

Yesterday, an M3, a TC, and some sort of special edition Tacoma tried to race me. All in one day! I just drive normal.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Calgary had be blessed with nice weather more than the rest of Canada, most people are thinking it is Summer already! 10km/h over is like the legal speed limit in Calgary There are just too many kids with rich parents to buy them expensive cars, but didn't spend any money on teaching them how to drive properly!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Not for nothing, but if your car is hooked up with 15 to 17 in wheels, lowered and have a list of mods the size of your arm, you will get run on by anyone that thinks that Street Racing is the next big thing.

Could be the 2 Fast 2 Furious syndrome LOL!!

Heck I get run on from time to time just driving around in my 98 accord (and the darn thing is stock w/paint fading off the top).

When I get my fit I plan on doing the mods as well. I just will be expecting every Civic, Teg and Scion TC to come up to me and make a run.

I usually ignore them and if I have the chance to talk to them I tell them to go to Moroso Motorsports Park in Jupiter FL

I think it's not a girl or guy thing. I think that if you drive a car and you are going the speed limit everyone else will tail gate and run up on you fast. I know down here in the Stuart area I see alot and I mean alot of SUVs and Pickup trucks and they don't like cars, at least little ones that is, because they will pull out in front of me or tail gate me or what not.

When I was younger I have to admit I drove like a speed demon. Now that I'm a bit older, I'm more relaxed and chilled. I mean I still can do a nice 72-75 mph on I-95 but not 90+ mph

peace,

Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Wink Street racing

I have enjoyed the comments and am waiting for my fit to arrive next month and will see what happens. I enjoy driving like most fit owners and prefer a car that handles well and has decent pickup.

Used to race motorcycles professionally for a few years and always found the quickest bikes around a track normally were the better handling ones and not the ones with the most power.

I currently enjoy making porsches and other expensive sports cars work to keep up with an old 1959 125 hp Morgan on twisty canyon roads in the area. Never need to exceed the speed limit but also do not need to slow down for corners. Something about physics of a 1550# car versus a fat 3400+# over-refined heavy sports car.

Every once in awhile I get the chance in a modified Miata (V-8 Supercharged) to keep up with new vipors and supercars as they try to race away from lights. Never need to beat them but rather leave them wondering why their $80,000 -$120,000 car can't beat a stock looking Miata. - Now -- that is fun.

I do not condon street racing - too many variables that are not under your control. Try the track or at least someplace that you can only kill yourself.

Last edited by morganplus4; 03-27-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
you know i had this problem a couple weeks ago... i was leaving my buddies place around 2 in the morning.

I pull up to a stoplight (3 lane street in torrance) in the middle lane. A fixed up Dodge freaking CHARGER pulls next to me... revs his engine. I was laughing my ass off. Even if i had every mod available to man i would never go toe to toe with v8 hemi. CMON. Then on the other side of me an M3 pulls up and revs.

I thought i was in the fast and the furious. then i realized that fast and the furious was being played on USA network so i figured these kids saw and got all jazzed up.

light turns green and they were off. The charger completely disappears its going so fast and all you can hear is the m3's bov and keeping pace for a little bit at least.

Long story short while in driving miss daisy mode i toss my smoke and keep cruising. thinking wtf just happened.

*i think the window visors my gf bought me are making the car look and go too fast. cause thats what has been happening since i got them... i think they are dynoed for at least 25hp to the wheels

Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
i have the same problems as mentioned by all you... come on if you want to race me lets go on a twisty road... lol

Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
besides the usual nonsense of suvs and soccer moms in their stupid minivans, i notice mostly scion tcs, subies, and riced out accords and civics doing this.

i will never understand that mentality.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
besides the usual nonsense of suvs and soccer moms in their stupid minivans, i notice mostly scion tcs, subies, and riced out accords and civics doing this.

i will never understand that mentality.
That's another thing... Annoying soccer moms on their cel phones, and their damn Honor student bumper stickers on their freakin' Escalades, constantly cutting me off.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
ive gone head to head with a charger with a hemi.

but not in my fit, in a turboed prelude.

i one day hope i go head to head with a v8 at RACE LEGAL with my fit. right now its a dream, but i just got a cool fortune cookie and it says i will be content by summers end. i hope that means a swap or at least a turbo heh

Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
I'm still in freakin winter mode LOL! It's disappointing that people in Calgary still drive wayyyy over the speed limit. I can understand ~10km/h or less above the posted limit, but when they are flooring it going 20-30km/h over, that's just asking for it. Where are the cops when you need them?

On that note, I did witness something funny in my Fit once. I was driving along about to turn onto a semi-highway with an 80km/h limit. One car in each lane in front of me, an older Mustang and a Talon. Both cars started to rev at each other and of course I'm thinking to myself...what a bunch of morons...light goes green, they launch wheels spinning...and I see the car behind me whip out to the other lane and floor it to get behind them as I do my usual normal start...turns out it was the fuzz hahahahaha...both cars SLAMMED on their brakes and the cops trailed them for a little bit then proceeded to turn on their lights to pull them over...
This summer is going to be a tough one for these guys once the wheels go on I even get clowns reving thier engines at me, I don't even have any visible mods other than the exhuast!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I had a lot of guys wanting to race the Fit last summer - the funniest was this guy in a huge Chevy truck that had been out riding the ridges and was covered in mud and dirt. I don't know how the guy could even see out his windows. He pulled up at the light and started reving the engine so hard that the entire truck was lifting up in the air - he caused a cloud of dust to come off the truck. He just looked down on me like the Fit was a ant! Of course he peeled out hard and got way out in front looking really dumb! Then I ended up passing him because he got caught behind slower moving traffic. Also makes me laugh the guys with body kits that haven't been painted just primmed - that is not a good look - why put on a body kit and run around without it matching your car

Our local car club is having a Challenge the Cop event at our local drag strip in hopes of getting the kids educated about racing on the strip and not on the streets. Hope they get the message!

Cat :x

Old 03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Zee
People are just jealous of our sexy car and thinks it is a sport compact or something.

Just 2 days ago as I was going to dropp my little cousins off to school this kid in VW GTI keeps honking at me, of course he wanted to race. he kept following me side by side at a good 30-35MPH constantly honking for a good whole minute, WTF?. Just because my exhuast is loud don't mean I want to race. My passager windows are tinted 5% so he did not see the kids. I slowed down then he blasted in front of me and starts braking. As he was doing this I took down his licence plate number and called the cops and reported him for causing danger on the road also what my situation was. As soon as i got off the phone within 10 seconds a cop pulls out of no where and pulls him over. None of this was necessary. Even if I did not have the kids in the back I would have just drove normally. Situations like this sometimes just can't be avoided.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
no one ever tries to race me

I guess that's the advantage of having a stock base 5-speed!!
No one looks at me twice ...
I've always liked cars that look incognito but are still a blast to drive ...

Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Even though your car may be modded, I don't think that warrants people to assume that you are going to race everyone that you see on the street. I look at modding your car as an expression of yourself, not as a blatant statement that says "PU**Y MAGNET!" or "RACE ME".

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
NMG
I see it up here all the time as well. When I'm driving my 1/2 ton 4x4, no problems. When I'm in my Fit, people (mostly 20-40 year old guys who drive 1 ton diesels to compensate for something else) play the "macho card" and fly by you, race off at green lights, get mad when you do the speed limit, etc.

The funniest thing in the world is actually talking to these guys. I had one guy in the Future Shop parking lot comment to me that he could fit my car in the box of his 1 ton. I kind of chuckled and responded back that it would likely be the only time he ever used his box for anything (it WASN'T a work truck). He just sort of stood there stunned not knowing what to say. His wife even laughed at him . . . LOL.

Quick Reply: Does EVERYONE Think I Want to Race?!?!