General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Ok, I walk into a dealer with $17K cash.....think I can make a deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
If you look around on this site, you''l see that $17k OTD is not realistic for a 2008 Fit Sport w/ Automatic
unless your sales tax is free or way low

I purchased my 2008 Sport man trans for $16,630 out the door 6 weeks ago and that included $942 in state sales tax.
$15,700 out the door plus State sales tax.
That was about best the best I have seen (adjusted for the sales tax).

The Automatic option is about $1000

Does not hurt to try and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
If you look around on this site, you''l see that $17k OTD is not realistic for a 2008 Fit Sport w/ Automatic
unless your sales tax is free or way low

I purchased my 2008 Sport man trans for $16,630 out the door 6 weeks ago and that included $942 in state sales tax.
$15,700 out the door plus State sales tax.
That was about best the best I have seen (adjusted for the sales tax).

The Automatic option is about $1000

Does not hurt to try and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky
If he takes his time in the dealership, there's a big chance that he will get what he want. If not, tell the dealership you're going to another Honda dealership. They don't like that whenever you tell them that you're going to a different branch. Especially if you have cash in hand.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
If he takes his time in the dealership, there's a big chance that he will get what he want. If not, tell the dealership you're going to another Honda dealership. They don't like that whenever you tell them that you're going to a different branch. Especially if you have cash in hand.
that's as true as it guess. Just dont rush yourself and play it cool. Let the dealers be nervous about the deal and you can prolly get it for invoice price or close to their.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
of course you can. i got my fit sport manual for $15,200. im sure they will do a sport auto for at least $17k cash.
was that the out the door price?
If so what was the sales/city tax on it?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I forget the tax, but my sale price for my NHBP Sport Auto, on the first weekend they went on sale, mind you, was $16,095. The salesman was a straight shooter, no B.S. (Car sales are his retirement job.) He wanted to move the car. I wanted it. We had a deal in 15 minutes.

What helped to bring the price down in my case was color. I originally wanted Milano Red, but they didn't have one, and it possibly would've taken a month or so to get one. So, I took the black, and they gave me the deal.

I LOVE my black Fit, and when I finally saw a red in person, I was glad I went with the black. I'll save red for an S2K in the future.

It can be done, and you have great advice in this thread (end of month, play it cool, don't mention the cash, and don't scream something like "OH MY GAWD! IT'S JUST THE COLOR I WANTED!!! WHOOPEEEE!!"

Good luck. Can't wait to hear how you did.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM

I just bought a 2008 Fit Sport manual transmission on Friday. Before taxes I got it for $14895 out the door. I originally started dealing on an automatic and had them down to $15,695. I think the difference was getting internet quotes from several dealers, they knew the competition and wanted to get the business.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thedawglb
I just bought a 2008 Fit Sport manual transmission on Friday. Before taxes I got it for $14895 out the door. I originally started dealing on an automatic and had them down to $15,695. I think the difference was getting internet quotes from several dealers, they knew the competition and wanted to get the business.
That is not out the door. That is before T&L. it is IMPOSSIBLE to get that price OTD.... you would have had to buy the car for about $13,500.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
You're in the ballpark. As was mentioned, don't bring up that you'll pay cash...dealers want to make money off the F&I. We were $16,580 OTD on a Sport with a manual about 7 weeks ago.

2008's are going cheap at dealers that have inventory and are worried now that the 2009's have been announced.

edited to add...that was at 7% tax rate. Don't know what your's is.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
yes, my best quote was 17.85K OTD (for about 7% state sales tax, + some for local taxes, although T/L is about $40 here).

I'm gonna try to get it down to 17.6 OTD and have them throw in free accessories like all-season floor mats, cargo cover, cargo tray, cargo net (since the difference will go towards an import armrest console). let's see what they say. I think for 17.6K here, that should give them a fair profit margin of at least $500. should I have tried to go lower? I'm going into the dealer early this week. Thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VietCowboy
yes, my best quote was 17.85K OTD (for about 7% state sales tax, + some for local taxes, although T/L is about $40 here).

I'm gonna try to get it down to $17.6 OTD and have them throw in free accessories like all-season floor mats, cargo cover, cargo tray, cargo net (since the difference will go towards an import armrest console). let's see what they say. I think for 17.6K here, that should give them a fair profit margin of at least $500. should I have tried to go lower? I'm going into the dealer early this week. Thanks
$17,800, OTD sounds more in line with what most have indicated and are not misleading numbers and there is a great deal of that on this thread. I would not get your hopes up on all those accessories. Mine had the OEM carpet mats installed, pin striping and 1 free oil change and I saw very pleased. I'm not saying the price I paid was the least anyone has seen, just I have not seen a legitimate lower one less. I'd like to see and image of the invoice posted on ANY of the ones less.

Little details like it being a 2008 model, the total or OTD cost seem to be missing on some of the notes. In fact on was not even a sport model. Just take a look at the one above from nighthawk that seemed to be deleted after I called him out. Total BS

I have a buddy I race with that is a Honda sales person and has been for about 20 years. He told be the margin on the Fits is way less than a Civic or Accord or the other models. He also said the price I got mine for was $200 over dealer cost and one that they rarely sell them for with a car they can't keep on the lot.

Be honest, how many dealerships in your area advertise in the newspaper for the Fit... exactly. They are in demand now and sell there-self.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 03-23-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I think it has a LOT to do with where you live. Our dealership had plenty on the lot (12 or so) and they weren't moving like hot cakes. We went back over about a months period and the same ones were still there. Might have something to do with the fact that NO ONE here seems to know what a Fit is

Old 03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
So where and when will you be walking around with $17k cash in your pocket? And are you armed?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by coupdetat
So where and when will you be walking around with $17k cash in your pocket? And are you armed?
prob be going sometime next week.....and no, i will not be armed lol

Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
$17,800, OTD sounds more in line with what most have indicated and are not misleading numbers and there is a great deal of that on this thread. I would not get your hopes up on all those accessories. Mine had the OEM carpet mats installed, pin striping and 1 free oil change and I saw very pleased. I'm not saying the price I paid was the least anyone has seen, just I have not seen a legitimate lower one less. I'd like to see and image of the invoice posted on ANY of the ones less.

Little details like it being a 2008 model, the total or OTD cost seem to be missing on some of the notes. In fact on was not even a sport model. Just take a look at the one above from nighthawk that seemed to be deleted after I called him out. Total BS

I have a buddy I race with that is a Honda sales person and has been for about 20 years. He told be the margin on the Fits is way less than a Civic or Accord or the other models. He also said the price I got mine for was $200 over dealer cost and one that they rarely sell them for with a car they can't keep on the lot.

Be honest, how many dealerships in your area advertise in the newspaper for the Fit... exactly. They are in demand now and sell there-self.
really? only $200? using the offer excel sheet from another website, I found that they would make over $800 in profit as of right now for 17.85K (which is over 5%, a very generous profit)

cuz, if you have 2% holdback (which is $334), comes out to 15,150K cost to the dealer. add in destination charge and 5% profit, comes out to 16,550K (which would be 17.85K after TTL). 5% profit comes out $750 and $50 doc fee charge (since profit is $800)

that is IF the holdback is 2%...if it is higher, then, of course, they would be making more profit.

that's why I'm asking for $250 reduction and hopefully some extras...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Agree

Like everyone else is saying you can def do a lot with $17K in cash. Of course you could walk in and buy a fit with that, we paid 16,323 for an BOM sport. Best of luck man!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
i got my 08 sport automatic for $17,117 out the door only thing i think thay went we a joy ride in the dam thing thay had to pick it up from some where that had a SSM so thay drove it from where ever and it had a 180miles on it lol i was like those SOB's better not of been beating my car befor i can.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Got my 08 Sport m/t 17,100 OTD. And mine had 40 miles of test drives and beatings haha. I hope nobody ripped on it too bad

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VietCowboy
that is IF the holdback is 2%...if it is higher, then, of course, they would be making more profit.

According to Edmonds.com, Honda's holdback is 3%. Would be @450 I suppose - so even at $400 under invoice they are going to make some coin.

Dealerships do not make their money off sales much anyway - have seen a lot of info that says @75% of dealer income is from service, ie. "yes, your brake fluid bearings are bad, so we will need to replace most of the system..."

My best quote so far (have four dealers on the end of a rope) is 17,098 OTD. That is for the Sport/Auto.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Internet pricing helped me

I got some Internet prices and then just printed them out and slapped them down in front of my sales guy (the other dealers were much farther away).

Before I showed him those quotes he swore up and down that they would make almost no profit if he lowered the price. But it dropped pretty quickly when I showed him what I could get at a different dealer.

I almost wonder if you could forge an Email from another dealer. Like go into Word and type up something that looks like an Email from another dealer. No that would be dishonest - I'd hate to be dishonest to someone as reputable as a car dealer.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine had 5 miles on it. which the 2miles were from the porter putting
gas in it. paid cash for mine too.

Quick Reply: Ok, I walk into a dealer with $17K cash.....think I can make a deal?