General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Umm is anyone else going at 80mph at 4000rpm??!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:42 PM
The gearing a manufacturer chooses is highly dependent on the amount of torque (at the flywheel) the engine produces. A low torque engine (small displacement) needs to be geared lower to have adequate acceleration for the target customer. A larger engine on the other hand has lots of torque already, and therefore doesn't need such a high gear ratio. The Fit's acceleration is already anemic at high freeway speeds, any lower gear ratio, would make acceleration unbearable. I think Honda comprimised and chose a ratio that gave acceptable fuel economy given the acceleration in 5th gear.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by da808ReNeSis
The gearing a manufacturer chooses is highly dependent on the amount of torque (at the flywheel) the engine produces. A low torque engine (small displacement) needs to be geared lower to have adequate acceleration for the target customer. A larger engine on the other hand has lots of torque already, and therefore doesn't need such a high gear ratio. The Fit's acceleration is already anemic at high freeway speeds, any lower gear ratio, would make acceleration unbearable. I think Honda comprimised and chose a ratio that gave acceptable fuel economy given the acceleration in 5th gear.
I agree. However, adding substantial torque (say through turbo/super charging) would allow a lower operating rpm. That's why I'd like to find a lower numerical final drive.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstars
not sure about you guys but I've never seen an 80 MPH speed limit... problem solved

owned. great answer.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BrianT
owned. great answer.
Far from it -- around here do anything less than 75 and you will get creamed by the semis, etc regardless that the limit is 65. That's reality, and I'm sure other locations have similar circumstances.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
4,000rpm on the highway is normal for imports, but it's not normal for a car that has such a low redline. If I were at 4,000rpm AND had an 8,000rpm redline, I would consider it normal. We're at 2/3 of our total available rpm when cruising. As for the fuel mileage, there are many threads of people with the Scangauge that shows their economy drops drastically at higher speeds. Know way to know if that's due to the motor working so hard or wind resistance without doing a final drive swap and seeing the results.

If there's a final drive that is numerically lower that will fit, I'd be willing to try it.
me too

I'm going to try a larger OD tire some day to prove the eco improves.

I think just like the TBW Honda screwed up. The Auto is way less RPM at speed with the same eng and the manual. Logic, based on eng curves, says they should be at the same RPM at speed yet they are way different. I have never seen any car with Auto Man option be so different like this.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 03-20-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
4,000rpm on the highway is normal for imports, but it's not normal for a car that has such a low redline. If I were at 4,000rpm AND had an 8,000rpm redline, I would consider it normal. We're at 2/3 of our total available rpm when cruising. As for the fuel mileage, there are many threads of people with the Scangauge that shows their economy drops drastically at higher speeds. Know way to know if that's due to the motor working so hard or wind resistance without doing a final drive swap and seeing the results.

If there's a final drive that is numerically lower that will fit, I'd be willing to try it.
Before the b16 i had the stock d16y7. with 110hp, you cant exactly fly up hills or what not in 5th gear. I drive on the highway to school 45 mins both ways with slight inclines and declines the average highway (not flat land like in FL but avg for NY). I got 3mpg MORE keeping it in 4th at 3200rpm cruising rather then 5th at 2300rpm. I can go into injector pulse width but, more gas is used under high load in low rpm rather then light load in higher rpm. Bascially in power band the less you need to lay into the throttle because of the efficiency of the motor at that rpm. Also the Fit was designed to be a small zippy car for the small streets of japan and europe not for large roads of speeds of 80mph. The car with any longer gearing would be a complete dog and would not accelerate for shit. No i GUESS in a perfect world with perfectly level roads and no lane changes or inclines or load changes... a longer gearing could be beneficial but again the longer the gearing, the more load you put on the engine to get up to speed unless you move extremely slow.

Last edited by SHG_Mike; 03-20-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
me too

I'm going to try a larger OD tire some day to prove the eco improves.

I think just like the TBW Honda screwed up. The Auto is way less RPM at speed with the same eng and the manual. Logic, based on eng curves, says they should be at the same RPM at speed yet they are way different. I have never seen any car with Auto Man option be so different like this.
Due to the low displacement and low torque of the engine the manual is geared higher. The automatic can be geared lower due to the torque converter which allows it to slip and actually multiplies torque at low speeds.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
at 80mph I think my S2000 is around 4k rpm in 6th

my old 2002 Civic EX was also right around 4000 at 80mph in 5th

sounds about right to me

Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by quiksi

I feel your pain and it might even be a tad higher than that. The only good part is that I can do 80-100 in 3-4 seconds without downshifting.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Speaking of wind resistance and the Fit - we've had some pretty strong winds in the north east these last few days, and I've noticed that it's been affecting the Fit much more than I remember it doing so with other vehicles I've driven. Perhaps because it's tall for it's size...

Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by sam21
You just answered your own question there chief
haha meant to type "it doesn't take"

Originally Posted by GAFit
4,000rpm on the highway is normal for imports, but it's not normal for a car that has such a low redline. If I were at 4,000rpm AND had an 8,000rpm redline, I would consider it normal. We're at 2/3 of our total available rpm when cruising. As for the fuel mileage, there are many threads of people with the Scangauge that shows their economy drops drastically at higher speeds
I don't buy this. RPM alone does not play a direct role in fuel economy.

RPM + Throttle position, however, do.

If you are rolling at 80kM/h in 5th gear at 2500 RPM but are constantly having to use 20-30% throttle to keep that pace, then you are consuming more fuel than if you are at 80kM/h in 4th gear at 3700rpm using only 10% throttle.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
not sure about you guys but I've never seen an 80 MPH speed limit... problem solved
Originally Posted by BrianT
owned. great answer.

You both need to take a trip to Montana then. No posted speed limits on certain roads during certain times.

Originally Posted by quiksi
my old 2002 Civic EX was also right around 4000 at 80mph in 5th
sounds about right to me

Stock 4.10 gears?

You should see it with the 4.77's in the rear!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StormSilverGD3
haha meant to type "it doesn't take"

I don't buy this. RPM alone does not play a direct role in fuel economy.

RPM + Throttle position, however, do.

If you are rolling at 80kM/h in 5th gear at 2500 RPM but are constantly having to use 20-30% throttle to keep that pace, then you are consuming more fuel than if you are at 80kM/h in 4th gear at 3700rpm using only 10% throttle.
Agreed! Throttle position AND rpm determine fuel useage.

For every combustion stroke the fuel injector supplies fuel.
Throttle position and other factors determine the amount of fuel per stroke. The ecu controls the amount of fuel by altering the pulse width of the injector.

Total fuel useage over a given amount of time is determined by the rpm and pulse width of the injector.

Light throttle in top gear will keep the Fit happy on level ground at speeds as low as 50mph. That same light throttle will also propel the car to 80mph, but the fuel useage increases significantly because of the rpm.

Last edited by GAFIT; 03-21-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM
mine runs at 3000rpm at 80mph, its a 08 auto, but i use the paddles to control it to that speed

Old 10-26-2008, 12:53 PM
no it doesn't and no you don't

Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
As far as longevity goes, I doubt running higher rpms will have any effect.
None of my 4cyl bikes seemd to mind and one had over 200 000km's when I sold it.
You will burn more fuel, and if thats a problem you can always slow down.
My F250 has 4.30 gears and spins to fast for my liking at 120kmh.
So with fuel at $1.45 a litre this summer I had to slow down.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Fa1
The auto is geared differently.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I actually think a longer gear ratio will lower gas mileage since youll be making less power at the lower rpms and youll have to use more throttle to maintain a speed. 4k is fine. Your not hurting your engine or lowering your mpg.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:55 AM
yea... thats normal dont worry about it.... you still get great mpg..... and it does not take that much money to fill it up

Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Uhh, Huhh.

Regardless of the paddles, the AT does run 1,000 RPM lower at 80 than the manual Fit.

Quick Reply: Umm is anyone else going at 80mph at 4000rpm??!?!