General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does 2008 Honda fits sport come with security system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
the new toyota cars have an optional glass breakage sensor

Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I have sensor (?) with a green LED that blinks under the steering column. Is this a sensor for vibration/windows? The useless dealership just said it was something that activated the alarm to further immobilize the car.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I also still have not gotten a straight answer about the specifications and sensitivites of the Karr alarm. The dealer seemed pretty clueless and all answers I ever got were vague and I never received a full manual about the alarm. I even went to Karr's website and there is no information--seems shady all the way around. I understand security about not revealing too much info about the alarm so thieves don't learn it, but this is too much and is boderline ghetto.

I went back to the dealer yesterday and had mine removed and money refunded. I'm still a little peeved as they just removed the little green light and/or "the chip", but i still have the little mount there. Not sure if the "deck of cards" sized sensor is still there but deactivated, as I have read on other threads. This removeal process took all of 5 minutes I believe and I did not see it happen (my mistake), but the salesguy went out and moved my car so I don't know if it ever even went back to "a technician", or he just unscrewed out the little LED and put in a blank placeholder in the mount... I could never get the "valet mode" manual deactivated instructions to work by holding down the button so I have high doubts whether the thing was ever on to begin with and I was never able to trigger it. The whole experience has left me a little embittered and untrusting towards the dealership...

I am very happy the dealer did not put up too much of a fight in removing it and refunding my money (I will now need to look into removing mount and all entirely, of see if perhaps I can reinstall for much cheaper than $400 if I do decide the shock protection is worth it).

The salesguy and his manager later came out and explained apologetically that they were not aware the Fit sport had it's own audible factory alarm as the window sticker just said "theft immobilizer" like it does for other older? hondas that do not have a audible alarm. Funny since the card that came with the alarm says it's "upgrade to the factory alarm". The original story was that it adds "shock" (window breaking" detection only, and only works with original factory alarm by triggering that, ie. does not have it's own noise maker, and that it demobilizes (I doubt it). This sounded redundant to me from the begginning since if the window breaks a theif may very well likely trigger the alarm in other ways (I will test out the seat sensor , that would be awesome if it trigger via that).

I am still going to ask around to see if I ever get the full true story about this dealer installed Karr alarm gimmick. I can see how some people may like it and want it, but it needs to be better explained and come with full instructions, not to mention, a stable price so that it doesn't seem like such a ploy/scam to add on more last minute profits to the final price of the car.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I called my stealership to ask some questions about this so called alarm. I explained that I was not explained what this add on 'system" did, and was not given any literature about how it worked or if it needed to be reset once in a while, etc. I then told him whats the point since the car comes with a system from the factory.

He replied with "the one from the factory is passive" and how it would only work if a window was broken and then the car unlocked and door opened. I said "ok..." He then said that the sensor (LED green light) is a motion sensor added to it. I told him it wasnt working cause I just went out to my FIT and gave it a couple good knocks with the side of my fist at random places around the car and got nothing. Then he said it didnt work that way and that it would only work when a window was broken.

I replied with "so what you are telling me is that either way I'm gonna lose a window before fore the alarm goes off?" He replied with "uhhh I suppose."

At this point I was getting upset and asked "Then what the hell did I pay for then?" and he had no reply to that. He said he would send me the literature on it, but im thinking im gonna go and have them remove it and get a refund.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
FitPilot,
Check out my thread here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ack-price.html

I have been dropping in threads about this karr alarm fiasco on the forum as I don't want anyone else duped into making an ill-informed decision.

I was given my money back and a lame story--if I were you I'd demand the same.

One of my points to the dealer was the same as yours--either way i'm ending up with a broken window, the add on is redundant and only protects them on the lot to be alerted *faster*, it wont help you unless you sleep near your car...plus thieves hear the horn and they take what they want before running anway, the noise doesn't scare them I bet.

The dealers who push this redundant system are either idiots, or they blatently know it is a scam...or both!

Either way, the vast range in prices show it's not an honest deal as I read somewhere that the shock sensor only upgrade should be like $100 or less.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by tin
Ah, the good old days, or maybe just where I used to live. A big truck/loud car would drive by setting off all the car alarms on the block. Niiiice.
my little skunk 2 exhaust does that ..over in newark haha i go down one block and i make atleast three alarms go off

Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
I had them throw in the alarm with the cars negotiated price when financing, along with a few other things.
Though i have a nodule below the steering column that has a red led*instead of the standard green*
My car was rushed out so I dont know if it was ever taken off of the valet mode?
I do know that with the added alarm, I have 3 blinking red lights, some deterrent? maybe :3
I'm more worried about my car being flat bed towed by car thieves I guess. I heard thats becoming popular.

Last edited by F033x; 04-24-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
On my instruction card it said I could set "valet mode" by putting the key in the ON position and then holding down the alarm button for 5 seconds. I tried this in various ways (with doors locked and unlocked) and it never worked, so I suspected the alarm was never taken out of "dealer mode" which means it was just a blinking light. As I have written before, I woudln't be surprised if these alarms leave the lot un-activated and most consumers are probably none-the-wiser as they just feel protected by the the flashing light and don't do any further research. FWIW I have seen fake alarms on sale at Kmart which are just battery powered flashing LED, I bet at night those look just as scary (I saw one that pulsated like "KIT" from the show "night rider"!)

You are lucky they gave it to you for free so you should just go ahead and keep it, I bet 3 red lights is indeed scarier than two red and one green (reminded me of Christmas!)

I just noticed yesterday also that the dealer did not take off the "Karr Security" stickers on my windows--that too can probably be a detterent in and of itself!

I guess only time will tell if the Fit will become a popular car for theives to steal or mess with.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah I have yet been able to find any info on this Karr alarm on the net. Im not even sure if thats what was sold to me. I'm wondering how much of problem it will be to go to the dealer and get a refund.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Mine came with the following "documentation":

1) A green postcard sized paper explaining the alarm was an "upgrade" to the factory alarm and that it adds "shock protection". It also explained for the dealer how to put the alarm in "dealer mode". No other details or specs.

2) A buisness card-sized card explaining how to temporarily disable the alarm for "valet mode". I guess if you dont want your car going off when the valet parks it or if you trust the valet not break your window? The name of the setting makes little sense. This setting did not even work for me.

3) To add to the ghettoness there was another card to fill out as the "guaranty", in case the car is stolen they'd cover the difference the insurance would not pay--read: GAP INSURANCE. I called one of the customer service reps at the dealer on this and straight out told them " this alarm sounds like a cover for the infamous gap insurance that no one wants", he replied that I "was entitled to my opinion". Of course I do not recall them telling me that I needed to fill out this card, so if I were someone who actually believed in the usefulness of this alarm I would not have the gap coverage if I did not turn in that card on time.

4) The form I signed in the finance office stating I authorized them to "activate" the alarm with very big block letters as "ADD PROTECTION" and "NO PROTECTION" to check off. Very vague sparse wording throughout and no mention that it was binding nor non-refundable etc.

I bet you have something similar somewhere --if you don't see anything that says "non refundable", then make a huge stink (or make one anyway, you probably have enough foder with all that you can find on the net and in this forum).

Threaten to give them a bad survey (my dealership was super obsessed with me giving them a "5" on the satisfaction survey that Honda Corp conducts --they did call a week later but I asked them to call me back before giving my survey as I wanted this dissatifactory situation resolved first). Or , threaten to report them to Corp or BBB, or a local "on your side" TV station that does consumer rip off stories.

I don't know how much you paid, but if it's a significant amount for you, go for it, or even go for it on principle...stealerships need to learn.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Karr Security Scam

I just went through this with my dealer too. I had found out that I had a factory alarm after I went to the Honda USA wesite and say it said the Sport model came with a security system. When I had bought mine they said did I want a alarm installed I told them "yes". So they charged $495 for there alarm. So they told me all the features of the alarm which is: starter disable, motion sensor, shock sensor, led and there version of Gap Insurance. At the time I thought the alarm had alot of really good features. Then I went back to talk to them and question them about what got installed. They said they installed a Karr Security alarm! So I said it comes with a stock alarm so what did you really install. They said they put in a starter disable, shock sensor, motion sensor and that great warranty. So I told them I had paid for a alarm to be installed so why was it only accessories that was installed? There reply was that the starter diable was a alarm. BULLSH$#! They said it was a good alarm installed from the factory so they added on there alarm to make it better. So I asked for my money back and they said they can't do it. This morning I put in a complaint to the BBB. If they told me they were selling accessories to a alarm I would have never paid $495 for them. I was told it was a alarm and it says it on my invoice. So hopefully something comes of this but I doubt it.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
dude, keep getting on their asses about giving you a refund. After I found out the Fit came with a Standard alarm w/ key;ess from Honda I was like WTF??!? And I demanded my money back. **** the BBB, I wasn't gonna leave until 1) they gave me my money back or 2) they called the cops. Good thing 1) happened

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have dealt with the BBB here for my Saab and they have done my right so far. So we will see what happens.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
They should just give you a refund without hassels. Refer them to this website to show them people have caught onto this less than honest gimmick and threaten to report them. My dealership was super scared about a bad survey so they put up little resistance in refunding and were very apologetic about the "misunderstanding".

Look at what you signed also, I bet it will be the same type of vague wording with no mention of anything binding or non refundable so they have nothing on you.

Just to clarify the karr alarm only adds shock detection (weak from what I've tested) and that alone is not worth the crazy fluctuating prices dealers come up with on this trick (and some even "throw it in for free" because they know it's only like a $50 thing).

I will not rest until all Fit Owners and prospective buyers are aware of this alarm game and make the right decisions without the influence of the muddled up and inconsistent stories given by their dealers!

In fact, I would go as far as not to trust any dealership that has an agreement with Karr and just move on to the next dealership.

Keep us posted on what happens! Good luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
I contacted Honda USA and they are very vague on what the stock alarm does. I also looked in the Owners Manual on page 130 and it still a little vague too. The Karr wesite tells you nothing at all. My dealer told me they installed a starter disable to which is a alarm all in its own. I told them bullshit, because it is a relay. Well hopefully I hear something back from the BBB claim. If not it might be Small Claims court for me.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, after reading more of this post, I called the dealer and left the Gen Mgr. a voicemail and told him that I was unhappy with the product, and asked for a refund/removal. I got a call from someone in their finance dept, they sent me over to the place to have the chip removed. Done, and done!I should be getting a refund very shortly.

Now the dash portion below the steering wheel looks much better! I don't have that bulging shock sensor staring me in the face anymore! And that blue LED was starting to get to me.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I hope everyone has just as good luck as I've had!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Post How to trigger/test your factory alarm

Sorry I keep adding to this thread but just thought I'd add on how to test the default alarm as I wasn't able to find this here or on google so....

Here's how to test the factory alarm.

1) Roll down a window

2) Set the alarm with your fob (you know alarm is set when red dash light blinks)

3) Reach in and unlock the door and open it.
The alarm starts to honk and lights flash...it's pretty loud and annoying. This should go on for two minutes before it stops on its own and by then the theives would have taken what they want and ran away.

When testing make sure the keys our *outside* the vehicle. There is some sort of proximity sensor so the car knows when the keys are inside versus outside of the car. This is useful so that you arent accidently setting off the alarm from inside the car, but it was confusing me for a while as I couldn't get the alarm to go off while I was trying to test by sitting inside the car!

Any common sense person can now see that the "shock" sensor of the glass breakage karr alarm is redundant as usually they will open the door rather than dive in..and even then they'll set the alarm off if they mess with the radio wires or try to hotwire the car, at which point the immobilizer system kicks in. I'm not saying the car is impossible to steal, but it's pretty annoying to try and probably not worth for a Fit with Civics and Acuras next door.

If you do want that instant trigger from glass breaking if you sleep near your car and want that instant alert then go to a local shop and ask for a shock detection system to be added on and any reputible place will know what to do and I can guarantee you it won't be $400+.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 AM
see now i have tryed to stand out side the car with the windows down set the lock/alarm and then reach in and unlock it and open the door and nothing... maby becouse i have the car keys in my hand right next to the car? or is my alarm not working?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Which side did you test on? I got mine to trigger on the passenger side. I actually was sitting in the car and just held the keys outside of the window when i set the alarm and opened the door...try doing it with the keys far away from the car and I bet it will work-- perhaps your keys give off a stronger signal so the car thinks it's safe when you are nearby?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, I went to Bell Honda (sleamy sleazy people!) to return my "shock sensor". First they tried to tell me that the sensitivity could be adjusted. After they couldnt find where to do that and said the alarm people had gone home for the day I told them i wanted to return it and wanted a refund. The SOB replied by saying...and I quote "to bad for you thats not gonna happen". I politely told him I would be in touch with Honda and the BBB and walked out.

My question is, who at Honda do I speak with and the BBB website has a part for filing against dealerships, do I use this or just file a standard complaint saying that they would not refund the my money on a useless product?

Quick Reply: Does 2008 Honda fits sport come with security system?