General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What was Honda thinking ....the name Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Fitftw
stenchblossoms....i think i heard that on the simpsons before....
Hey FTW, I repped ya too, since it was a good catch!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
lol thanks for the rep points guys. It's good to know all those years of watching the Simpsons wasnt a total waste of time

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Why is It Called a Fit???

OK, I am not posting this to talk dirty or to encourage others to do so.

The following is from Wikipedia: "Honda originally intended to name the car Fitta, but the word's meaning in some languages -- in Swedish and Norwegian 'fitta' or 'fitte' is a rather crude slang term for vagina -- resulted in a last-minute change to Fit."

People keep asking me why my car is called a Fit. One guy said "What kind of mischief is it to call a car a Fit?" I'm curious. Why didn't Honda simply call it a Jazz here in North America, like the car is known in Europe?

I am guessing that Fitta means something in Japanese. Does anybody know what?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Not sure. It's probably a sort of bad translation.....like Jazz.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Honda Japan also has a car similar to the xB which is called "Life." Toyota Japan also has another car similar to the xB that is called "Cube." Who knows how they come up with these names. Here is another one for you, the Japanese men spend tons of money on womens soiled panties, figure that one out??

Last edited by FitGD4; 05-10-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by ezduzit
The problem with the name "Fit" is that when you do a search for parts, you get a ton of hits for parts that "fit" other Honda models.

I hate that.

ed

Im with ya ed that does suck...

Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I sometimes like to say "Fitness".

Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NEK FIT
OK, I am not posting this to talk dirty or to encourage others to do so.

The following is from Wikipedia: "Honda originally intended to name the car Fitta, but the word's meaning in some languages -- in Swedish and Norwegian 'fitta' or 'fitte' is a rather crude slang term for vagina -- resulted in a last-minute change to Fit."

People keep asking me why my car is called a Fit. One guy said "What kind of mischief is it to call a car a Fit?" I'm curious. Why didn't Honda simply call it a Jazz here in North America, like the car is known in Europe?

I am guessing that Fitta means something in Japanese. Does anybody know what?

Hahaha This name would put a whole name to 'driving' the car

Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Got my vote to fit into tight spaces

Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by FitGD4
Honda Japan also has a car similar to the xB which is called "Life." Toyota Japan also has another car similar to the xB that is called "Cube." Who knows how they come up with these names. Here is another one for you, the Japanese men spend tons of money on womens soiled panties, figure that one out??

not really.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Searching for "fit parts" ---- reminds me of the time I was googling for a Hilton hotel in Paris...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
I still want a sticker that says "Suck Mah Fit!"
hahaha thats a good one. i wouldn't mind getting one made too. but then again haters might hate

Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
To me the Fit name and the way the car was design gives me the image of healthy people. You can go mountain biking, canoeing, any sport that might need transported.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Maybe just the fact that almost anything in your lifestyle will "Fit" into the car.
The car can "Fit" into tight spaces.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Already stated: "Honda originally intended to name the car Fitta, but the word's meaning in some languages — in Swedish and Norwegian, "fitta" or "fitte" is a rather crude slang term for vagina — resulted in a last-minute change to Jazz."

Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I for one am glad they changed the name to Fit for N/A... I just couldn't (as a straight man) feel right calling my car a "Jazz" ... not without doing the "jazz hands" anyway... LOL

[img]richard_simmons.jpg (image)[/img]

Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
For one....Honda did not change the name from Jazz to Fit but rather from Fit to Jazz for European and Select other markets. And the name Fit sounds a lot less limp-wristed than Jazz.

Originally Posted by Steeldog
Back in the 80's, Chevrolet couldn't understand why their popular Nova wasn't selling well in Mexico.
Anybody know what "no va" means in Spanish?

True story.
False story

Originally Posted by crankshaft
Yes, it is a true story, I heard about this many years ago. "No va" in spanish mens "no go".
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Yes, and it's how a Spanish-speaking person says, "It doesn't go".
Unbelievable that the marketers at Chevy would release the car under that name. The world was a little different then, I suppose.

Personally, I like the name Fit, and I think it's much better than Jazz for the US market. Jazz sounds cheap to my American ear, sort of like the LeCar.

What's in a name? That which we call a Fit by any other name would drive as sweet. Or something.

I hope you realize that the "No Va" story is nothing more than an Urban Legend commonly taught in marketing classes. Latino's aren't that stupid. There was even a gasoline company in Mexico named Nova.

It would only make sense if the Chevy Nova was named the "Chevy No Va". Otherwise the name, "Nova" could be considered the Spanish version of names like "Integra" and "Supra". Integra...Integrity? Supra...Super?

Likewise, "Nova" could be looked at as a derivative of "Novar" which, in Spanish, means. "To renew an obligation formerly contracted." So maybe the Chevy Nova could have been looked at as a "renewal" to Latin America?

Also, if you do some reasearch, you will see that the Chevy Nova actually sold quite well in Spanish speaking countries despite its name.

Originally Posted by way2slo
i just thought of this, the people who name honda's have always been a bunch of silly cracksmokers. They've had the Honda Beat, the Honda That's, and my favorite, the honda Life Dunk
I just did a google search for images of the Honda That's and the Honda Life Dunk. IMO hot vehicles and best names for cars.....EVER!

Last edited by DrKelso; 11-07-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JOKER0808
Im with ya ed that does suck...

yeah x3 it's super annoying sometimes
but i've learned to do "Fit 07+" and that works pretty well

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Ford Ka

Ford Sport Ka

That's all I got left to say XD

Old 11-07-2008, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
The name "Ford Ka" is like a joke where I live.
"Ka" is the dialect word for "what". And since the car look very strange the name goes with the car; each time you see it you go "Ford what??" (and in my dialect "Ford Ka?")

It is not easy to find a car name that goes well in all countries around the world.

Quick Reply: What was Honda thinking ....the name Fit?