General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What was Honda thinking ....the name Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow Cat! Your Fit is looking really good.

The name is kind of strange because it seems more descriptive than anything else. Usually car names evoke an emotion or conjure images of an object. They are part of a marketing campaign.

My last car was a Golf which was named after a German word for a gulfstream wind and not the popular sport played on greens with clubs. I think the Honda Fit was as basic as they come, since they were just thinking about a car that would fit a lot of people. It's a populist name, one that does not evoke luxury or pretense. Like the car - simple, direct, utilitarian, and fun. And more likely something from a marketing group... although that must have been a short meeting "What name fits this car?" "You got it!".

Jazz to me seems more European minded. I like the name, but it doesn't do the same thing for me. I conjure up a different image for that word than what my car makes me think of.

Interesting topic though. Wonder if we could get an official answer somewhere.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I like it. It makes me think of how well it fits into my life, and also how athletic it is.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezduzit
The problem with the name "Fit" is that when you do a search for parts, you get a ton of hits for parts that "fit" other Honda models.

I hate that.

ed
Totally agree, they should have made the name something more unique so you can search for parts and information on it easier... like Jazz

Hmmmm, what about Phit

Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
i debadged my fit emblem. i said eff that shh. searching for parts as was mentined sucks. and repeating myself when telling people who ask what i drive makes me wanna strangle somebody. fit is way better than jazz tho, jazz reminds me of the fiesta.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
I like Jazz better than the name fit
Fit is unique, has many possible meanings- maybe that was incentive to name it that. It's not horrible and not like CRV or TL. Initials are kinda boring. Fit has a healthy connotation, kind of green name, people often ask if it is a hybrid.

And it can "FIT" a lot of cargo-
Recently went to the tire shop and took-
Four new 205/45-17 tires
Four old 215/45-17 tires mounted on 17x7 rims
Two 15x8 rims in shipping boxes
Two new 225/50-15 race tires
Had an empty front passenger seat. Folded up the rear seat for space.

Jazz is a better name and more modern.

Altima or Versa is not as good although Versa could be for Versatile, note that the Versa is known as the Latio outside the US- that's less good a name.

What about Yaris? What does that mean?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM
They couldn't use the Jazz name in Canada because they sell a Honda Jazz scooter in Canada. Although the same scooter is called a "Metropolitan" in the U.S., my guess is that they didn't want to make it too confusing for North America by having a car named "Jazz" in the U.S., but the same car named "Fit" in Canada.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Chevy name

Back in the 80's, Chevrolet couldn't understand why their popular Nova wasn't selling well in Mexico.
Anybody know what "no va" means in Spanish?

True story.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Quote:
What about Yaris? What does that mean?[/quote]

This is the official Toyota answer to that question. Hold on to your cookies.

The name, Yaris, stems from a goddess in Greek mythology, named Charis, who was a symbol of beauty and elegance. We chose it as a name that properly symbolizes Yaris' beauty and the appeal of its styling. Charis is the name of a goddess, so we took the "aris," which links with Paris, the art and culture capital of the world, and added "ya" in front, a German expression of agreement, thus creating a new word, Yaris. We believe this name is a worthy representation of Toyota's next generation of global cars.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
^ i think you just made that all up

Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
^ i think you just made that all up
Hubby (Yaris owner) says: "Don't be hatin' " He claims it's truly from Toyota, but now that you're doubting, he's searching.......

Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squirrely
Hubby (Yaris owner) says: "Don't be hatin' " He claims it's truly from Toyota, but now that you're doubting, he's searching.......
haha, it just sounds so... involved

and how did you let him get a yaris? j/k

Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
i just thought of this, the people who name honda's have always been a bunch of silly cracksmokers. They've had the Honda Beat, the Honda That's, and my favorite, the honda Life Dunk

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM
haha, it just sounds so... involved

and how did you let him get a yaris? j/k
It was going to be a SmartCar, but when we were disappointed with that, we ordered a Yaris - which became his car because he insisted on a manual. So he had his first and then I drove a Fit - the rest is history.

It does sound 'involved'. Remember it was originally an 'Echo'. How pansy-ass lame is that?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Back in the 80's, Chevrolet couldn't understand why their popular Nova wasn't selling well in Mexico.
Anybody know what "no va" means in Spanish?

True story.
Yes, it is a true story, I heard about this many years ago. "No va" in spanish mens "no go".

Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Squirrely
It was going to be a SmartCar, but when we were disappointed with that, we ordered a Yaris - which became his car because he insisted on a manual. So he had his first and then I drove a Fit - the rest is history.

It does sound 'involved'. Remember it was originally an 'Echo'. How pansy-ass lame is that?
Yaris sounds like some dying endangered animal. Echo sounds like they chose it cuz it made echoing noises behind other cars? Carollas are like dogs because you say "Car, roll over." And I think the honda engineers got mad at each other one day, one person say "don't have a fit man" and the boss says "We do now!"

Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yep

Originally Posted by crankshaft
Yes, it is a true story, I heard about this many years ago. "No va" in spanish mens "no go".
Yes, and it's how a Spanish-speaking person says, "It doesn't go".
Unbelievable that the marketers at Chevy would release the car under that name. The world was a little different then, I suppose.

Personally, I like the name Fit, and I think it's much better than Jazz for the US market. Jazz sounds cheap to my American ear, sort of like the LeCar.

What's in a name? That which we call a Fit by any other name would drive as sweet. Or something.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog

What's in a name? That which we call a Fit by any other name would drive as sweet. Or something.
what if we called them "stenchblossoms"?

(rep to the 1st person to get that reference )

Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
No respect, I tellya

what if we called them "stenchblossoms"?

(rep to the 1st person to get that reference )
Haha, I don't know but I would guess Jay and Silent Bob. I did hear Jay talking about his "stink nuggets".

Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
stenchblossoms....i think i heard that on the simpsons before....

Old 03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw
stenchblossoms....i think i heard that on the simpsons before....
yep yep!!

Quick Reply: What was Honda thinking ....the name Fit?