General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A different paint issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
A different paint issue.

Since this seems more of an open area to post things, figured Id post this here.
I dont know how long my Fit has had this here but I know its been a while. Comparing to other local Fits mine is the only one doing this. Its on both sides of my car. Pass. side is whats pictured.

Whats causing it? Is it sand getting stuck in the crack and me opening the hatch causing it? Why is it only my Fit....
Ive never removed the piece and its not like I dont wash my car. BTW, all that sand is one day of driving.
It looks like someone tried to pry the piece off of my car with a screw driver.

The area is that center trim piece where the wiper arm and emblem sit.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned
I can't tell what you're trying to show, but it just looks dirty to me, I wash my car at least once a week and it usually looks like that after about 10 minutes if the road is slightly damp

Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah, its kinda hard to tell since it looks kinda dirty. Its hard to tell between the dirt and a possible scrtach or sand?

Tyler

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
where exactly is it at>?? And if you have more pics it would show better, anyways have u tried taking it to the dealer??

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
looks like the paint is chipping away at the edge of the trunk garnish. . .

Hard to guess what would cause that, but I bet having all that grit around the cracks back there doesnt make matters any better

Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
No I havent gone to the dealer. I figured they would look at the car and blame me and the mods for it.

Well its too dark for me to take pics now.

Its the garnish thats in the middle of the rear hatch. The emblem sits in it.
See the crack in the pic? Notice all the little chips....

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
clearcoat separating from the paint?

It looks like the panel on top is moving slights. Sand between the two panels has loosened the clearcoat on the paint because the top panel is moving slightly. IMHO RG

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The Fit doesnt have clear. Its water based paint, like enamel. Its clear and paint all in one. At least from what Ive read in other threads. The chips are deep too. If I were to have it fixed body work would need to be done. Bondo and all.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
wowo that suxxx big time...wonder what is causing that...
i am sure the low quality of pain t job on our FiTs dont help

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
The Fit doesnt have clear. Its water based paint, like enamel. Its clear and paint all in one. At least from what Ive read in other threads. The chips are deep too. If I were to have it fixed body work would need to be done. Bondo and all.
im not sure about millano red but night hawk black pearl DEFINITELY has clear. i know for a fact. id assume that milano red would be a two stage aswell but it might be a single stage because colors with no metallics or pearl sometimes are.

edit:also you wouldnt have to break out the bondo unless the metal is deformed. if its just chips in the paint all a body shop would have to do is block, spray and blend.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
im not sure about millano red but night hawk black pearl DEFINITELY has clear. i know for a fact. id assume that milano red would be a two stage aswell but it might be a single stage because colors with no metallics or pearl sometimes are.

edit:also you wouldnt have to break out the bondo unless the metal is deformed. if its just chips in the paint all a body shop would have to do is block, spray and blend.
How does it get swirls so fast? Cars with clear; well decent clear dont get swirls as fast as our cars do. My Mx-6 has a was repainted by a crack head. (seriously) He did body work, base, and clear for $800. Ive washed my car at those do-it-yourself places with those rock hard brushes. Not one swirl.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
im not 100% sure why our cars are prone to swirls. probably low grade clear. i had swirls from the dealership but since then ive used rubbing compound and a rotary buffer on it and color sanding (or as claymore calls it, finish sanding) on problem areas with alot of orange peel. now to keep the swirls off, i always use two mits to wash,(one for the upper half of the car and one for the bottom half) a really nice, expensive shammy to dry(shamois?) a good applicator pad for polish and wax and a brand new micro fiber cloth to take the polish and wax off.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
It could be scratched up if you go through car wash's with those fiber's spinning or you use a wash brush like you stated earlier.I only go through a hand's free wash.Or could be faulty paint(Honda has never had a good,long lasting red,just look at old civic's and integra's).

Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
looking at the pics my guess would just be that the garnish is rubbing or particles of sand (or such) are getting in there and getting scratched around into the paint? now that just adds to the list of things for me to be paranoid about...great haha.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned
Easy that housing is only held on with one bolt and a couple of pop in clips and it MOVES bumping against the body causing chips. Just pull it off and put some silicone adhesive on the under side and put it back on and it won't move as much. And The Fit DOES HAVE CLEAR COAT. All Honda's since about 4 years ago have been painted with water based paint AS THEY WERE MANDATED TO DO BY THE USG regulations to prevent air pollution.

And it is called finish sanding by all PROFESSIONAL body men because that is what it is. You can't call it color sanding if you are sanding CLEAR COAT if you are sanding the color coat then THAT is color sanding. If you want to know anything else about PROFESSIONAL auto body repair and buffing try reading this it may help you improve your knowledge of proper painting terminology.

Auto Body and Paint Tips, Techniques, and Information

Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Easy that housing is only held on with one bolt and a couple of pop in clips and it MOVES bumping against the body causing chips. Just pull it off and put some silicone adhesive on the under side and put it back on and it won't move as much. And The Fit DOES HAVE CLEAR COAT. All Honda's since about 4 years ago have been painted with water based paint AS THEY WERE MANDATED TO DO BY THE USG regulations to prevent air pollution.

And it is called finish sanding by all PROFESSIONAL body men because that is what it is. You can't call it color sanding if you are sanding CLEAR COAT if you are sanding the color coat then THAT is color sanding. If you want to know anything else about PROFESSIONAL auto body repair and buffing try reading this it may help you improve your knowledge of proper painting terminology.

Auto Body and Paint Tips, Techniques, and Information
from the website you provided:
Color Sanding Definition:
Yeah, we get that a lot here. Colorsanding is just leveling the clear coat with 1000, 1500, 2000, etc. wet or dry ( these are all preference things) using a block or machine sanding before moving into compounding and final polish and buffing. Mostly paint shops do this as their final steps on a decent paint job. Some detailers do offer a further "refining" of the colorsanding. Driven By Shine, great detailer from Australia that drops in here now and then, is an example of a detailer that works out colorsanding, compounding, buffing, etc. Around here where I live most detailers do not offer that level of service, it's the paint shops that do it.
give it a rest claymore. i am right!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
from the website you provided:

give it a rest claymore. i am right!

Every forum has their a-retentive members. At least claymore is a consistently obnoxious apple so no one can take it personally.

Based on the limited info available in the pic, I doubt the chips noted by the OP can be corrected by sanding the paint down to the level of the chips. You would have to remove too much clear/paint. The best one could do would be to either round off the corners to make the chips less obvious, touchup the spots then sand/polish, or repaint the panel. I doubt the OP would be happy with the first.

I have no definitive information about CC vs SS paint on the Fit. On my vivid blue fit, it appears to have a clear layer on top although this could be due to a combo SS paint where the pigment settles closest to the metal and the clear rises to the surface. Or it could be a true CC. Whatever is separating in the OP's first post doesn't appear to be normal paint though. In any event, the finish on my Fit is extremely soft and swirls easily.

Good tip from claymore on getting the panels to stop moving though.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea its okay, claymore knows his stuff for the most part. he can just be stubborn. this issue pissed me off because he gave me a negative rep point a while back for this when i KNEW i was right.

if these chips didnt go down to bare metal, you would be alot better off, body work-wise but it looks like it did. it sucks cause the paint chips are in a weird place with not many contours in the body around it to blend after they respray. hope it all works out for you.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned
That is one opinion it doesn't make you right. Just think about it for a minute even the word has color in it "Color sanding" means sanding the final color coat..... it's even the words, finish sanding means sanding the clear coat when you are finished with the painting.

Don't mind me I just worked in a dealership bodyshop and painted cars to put food on the table and believe it or not people actually paid me to repair and paint their cars. But I guess you know much more because you hang around a bodyshop and learn by osmosis.

And I guess some people (Rob22315) STILL have their little tiny knickers in a wad because I called his way of changing oil CHEAPO... grow up and get over it there is no shame in being a cheapo

Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Arguing on the internet is a waste of time. Neither of you is going to win.

The paint sucks. My orange Fit has chips to metal all over the hood because of the damn gravel the city puts on the road, all I do is seal them with clear nail polish (talk about being a cheapo) so they won't rust. Some time this spring after they sweep the roads I'll take it in for a touch up. I do every year with all my cars. it just has to be done

For yours, maybe they can tighten the one bolt. Plus a small repair like that shouldn't run you too much. Just stay away from Maaco and those types of places unless you do all the prep work yourself. Best to find a collision shop that does really good work. Its worth it in the end.

And if your worried about unforeseen expenses on your cars, do what I did, I got a Visa Platinum card with fixed APR and no fees ONLY for car repairs. Had to use it today to buy a new Ridgeline wheel and tire because of the god awful potholes right now. Its my oshit card. Saved me a few times in the past before I had 2 brand new vehicles.

Last edited by airborne200208; 03-11-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: A different paint issue.