General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A different paint issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
ok so, i called my x girlfriends grandpa who is roy brizzio. (if you dont know who he is, look him up. but lets just say they aproached him to have a tv show before they approached boyd coddington.) and i asked to talk to his painter who has been painting cars for over 40 years and probably knows more about painting a car than anyone on earth. he said it IS called color sanding but the name comes from before automotive paints used clear coat and they ACTUALLY DID SAND THE COLOR COAT! the process is the same but now they just do it on the clear. google "color sanding" and look at definitions. it proves i was correct. claymore, you have alot of knowledge but you have to learn to admit when you're wrong.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Mr.Ball
It could be scratched up if you go through car wash's with those fiber's spinning or you use a wash brush like you stated earlier.I only go through a hand's free wash.Or could be faulty paint(Honda has never had a good,long lasting red,just look at old civic's and integra's).
I only go through touch frees, and thats if my car is dusty and I dont feel like going all out on it.

From what Ive noticed Honda paint isnt bad, its their clear that goes fast. Ive seen Ef's with OEM paint on them. Not so shiny and the clear is chipping a little but the paint is still there and kickin.

The Fit wont be like that though.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore

And I guess some people (Rob22315) STILL have their little tiny knickers in a wad because I called his way of changing oil CHEAPO... grow up and get over it there is no shame in being a cheapo
The topic is paint, just to remind you.

Tyler

Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Clear!

Originally Posted by kelsodeez
im not sure about millano red but night hawk black pearl DEFINITELY has clear.
I'd bet all fits have clear coat paint. Blackberry Pearl certainly has clearcoat. Some modern blacks and whites are single stage but in general non clear coat paint is quite rare.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
claymore, you have alot of knowledge but you have to learn to admit when you're wrong.
Claymore has a lot of opinions and some practical experience, but lacks depth for any real engineering skills. Heaven forbid if anyone finds fault with a claymore post. In the long run, it's only the 'tude that is remembered, not the good advice or witty words. It's ashame because bad manners just detract and distract from what could be otherwise productive discussions.

Back to paint - OP, any word from a professional who's actually seen the damage and made a recommendation on repairs?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Could be from the seat belt!!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned
"but the name comes from before automotive paints used clear coat and they ACTUALLY DID SAND THE COLOR COAT! the process is the same but now they just do it on the clear" And correctly should be called finish sanding just like I said.

Mr. Brizzio and I are correct. The term started back when only slobs and inept spray painters or maybe Earl Shibe use clear to cover their mistakes because they didn't have the skills to do a good paint application.

It was called color sanding because you have to sand the final color coat because a good paint job didn't depend on using clear, clear was for sissies. And the reason you had to color sand was because if you were good and had the skills you did a "hand rubbed" finish and the "color sanding" made the final COLOR surface smooth enough that it saved time and effort when you hand rubbed with compound to get a decent final finish NO CLEAR INVOLVED.

You noobies corrupted the term to include cheating clear coat even though there is no colored paint to sand just like I bet you have a "motor" in you car not the proper ENGINE

Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Rob22315
Every forum has their a-retentive members. At least claymore is a consistently obnoxious apple so no one can take it personally. Yo TYLER isn't this off topic also?????????

OR THIS " Claymore has a lot of opinions and some practical experience, but lacks depth for any real engineering skills. Heaven forbid if anyone finds fault with a claymore post. In the long run, it's only the 'tude that is remembered, not the good advice or witty words. It's ashame because bad manners just detract and distract from what could be otherwise productive discussions.

Based on the limited info available in the pic, I doubt the chips noted by the OP can be corrected by sanding the paint down to the level of the chips. You would have to remove too much clear/paint. The best one could do would be to either round off the corners to make the chips less obvious, touchup the spots then sand/polish, or repaint the panel. I doubt the OP would be happy with the first.

I have no definitive information about CC vs SS paint on the Fit. On my vivid blue fit, it appears to have a clear layer on top although this could be due to a combo SS paint where the pigment settles closest to the metal and the clear rises to the surface. Or it could be a true CC. Whatever is separating in the OP's first post doesn't appear to be normal paint though. In any event, the finish on my Fit is extremely soft and swirls easily.

I get it now cheapo must be an engineer well since I never claimed to be an engineer I guess he's just trying to show off his dikc is bigger who cares if I'm not an engineer I'm proud just to be a humble mechanic/ bodyman and if your an example of an engineer I hope I never buy a product designed by you. And gee don't engineers make good money????? Why are you so tight when it comes to spending a few bucks for an extra oil filter once a year???

Yo TYLER since you felt it was necessary to point out I was off topic how about some FAIRNESS IN MODERATING and point out to rob22315 (the cheapo) that he is off topic also. Where
is the FAIRNESS IN MODERATING??????

Last edited by claymore; 03-12-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
my point stands. a pro that has more experience in auto paints than anyone on this forum calls it color sanding. i will trust what he says over what you say anyday.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore
I get it now cheapo must be an engineer well since I never claimed to be an engineer I guess he's just trying to show off his dikc is bigger who cares if I'm not an engineer I'm proud just to be a humble mechanic/ bodyman and if your an example of an engineer I hope I never buy a product designed by you. And gee don't engineers make good money????? Why are you so tight when it comes to spending a few bucks for an extra oil filter once a year???

Yo TYLER since you felt it was necessary to point out I was off topic how about some FAIRNESS IN MODERATING and point out to rob22315 (the cheapo) that he is off topic also. Where
is the FAIRNESS IN MODERATING??????
Claymore, and rest of the forum- ill ask you again to stay on topic which is paint, once again. One more time and its locked.

Thanks
Tyler

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Banned
Different strokes for different folks. You call it motor I call It engine. Color sanding is just that and finish sanding is just that. He learned his way of speaking his way and I learned mine while doing my apprenticeship years ago when no clear coat was involved just like he said.

He has just corrupted the term like the west coast guys did with calling the engine a motor. The last sanding is logically called the finish sanding one because there is no color involved if you are cheating and using clear and color sanded before applying the clear coat and because it IS THE LAST SANDING hence the word finish sanding. Call it what you will but once again you are NOT SANDING ANY COLORED PAINT so think about it why would it be called color sanding???? They are using an OLD term because they are too lazy to apply the proper name to new techniques.

Call it what you will but people that know what they are doing will know your status when you do.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'm going to predict a lock, so...in before the lock!

mx6gt let us know what you do to fix that paint if you do something! i'm worried mine might start doing the same thing now that yours has.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Seriously, haven't you guys heard that ?

You just sound silly and make yourselves look like jerks :-/

Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
this isnt an argument. it is a discussion. (at least in my perspective it is) but its true. different terminology is used in different parts of the country and the world. in england, if you say motor you are talking about an entire car. terminology is definitely regional.

you say tomato i say tomaaato.