General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

lowered car , flat tire, best change approach?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Question lowered car , flat tire, best change approach?

i did search and got no results back.

this has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks now.

what is the best approach to changing a flat on a lowered car?

I am on skunk2 springs fyi.

I have heard there are low profile floor jacks, not sure if that would even be an option "out on the road" .

I have also seen (and this seems a somewhat solid approach to me) ramps that are between 9 and 10 degree incline. I've seen one set that was aluminum and one that looked like a plastic resin sorta. they both had the incline for about 27 inches and flat for 12-16 inches.

please share what you have done, or what stuff you have for changing a flat, out on the road.

I'm thinking cutting down a few 2x6 on a band saw to 9 1/2 degree incline , and just keep them in the back boot.

9 1/2 degree incline for say 2 1/2 feet then level off at 4 inch height for 14 or so inches.

any and all input/feedback is greatly appreciated.

if this is in wrong section, MOD pls move, thx

Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Retired Moderator
The stock Fit jack, that comes with the car will lower enough to fit i belive.

Tyler

Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Tow Hooks

My interga is lowered 2.5". I have a low profile jack that doesn't fit under the jack points on the side of the frame.

REAR:
I jack from the center tow hook in the rear, then used use a jack stand under the jack ponts on the side for stability and safety.

FRONT:
Drive over a couple of 1X4" planks. That'll raise the front of the vehicle enough for the low profile jack to position inder the front tow hook. Then used use a jack stand under the jack ponts on the side for stability and safety.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Retired Moderator
Yup, the scissor jack in the back should fit underneath.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Bluecivic107 has it right.I had my 94 Interga lowered 2 1/2 inch's(ON STOCK WHEEL'S)and I honestly couldn't drive over a coke can laying down on it's side(I hit quite a few,trust me).Anyway's,the driving up on rising wooden plank's is the only way .If all else fail's use the stock jack to raise the car.Also a side note,when my car was put on a lift at tire kingdom(after driving up the plank's)they forgot to use them on the way down and torn the front end of my car almost completely off! BE CAREFUL if not upgrading your wheel's to a bigger size.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
my uncle had his civic dropped super low he bought like that, but when he got a flat he went to Sam's Club, Walmart or Costco, and bought one of those working replica nascar jacks(toy scale) and put it under the car and it got the car high enought to put a full jack under it, might want to try that as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
check these out, any thoughts? would this be worth getting.
mind you I am not concerned about in my own garage , this is about being on the road and getting a flat, in all honesty its my better half that I am concerned with, if she were alone and had a flat.

hehe they could even come in handy if you get stuck in the mud or snow too , lol maybe

Low Profile Car Ramps

Plastic Car Ramps
http://www.discountramps.com/plastic_car_ramps-2.jpg

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scissor Jaks

Originally Posted by Mud_Bone
check these out, any thoughts? would this be worth getting.
mind you I am not concerned about in my own garage , this is about being on the road and getting a flat, in all honesty its my better half that I am concerned with, if she were alone and had a flat.
If your main concern is jacking the car for a flat tire, just use scissor jacks. They will suffice.

+it's FREE

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Those small plastic(adjustable)ramp's are a good idea.Also,you can't go wrong in bringing along a good quaility jack lift.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I could be wrong but I don't think the stock scissor jack is gonna go low enough when a front tire is flat. there is enough clearance when tire is inflated but when its flat there is next to nothing for clearance.

Mr. Ball:
I think I might get a set of the little ones I showed link to above. you would hardly enen notice them in the back boot.

Last edited by Mud_Bone; 03-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
^^Good choice.They sould fit in the back pretty easy.Also consider upgrading your Lug Wrench(the 4 way one's are good).The stock one's are garbage.I stripped a lug bolt in my old IS300 and had to have a professional come out to help(I don't think he ever saw someone break it in half like I did). If your concerned about a parent/girlfriend and a flat,get roadside insurance like I have.They have helped me out alot of time's.You ever seen the stock jack they put in a BMW X5,I saw that and said,"NO WAY,I'm using that thing!" To everyone,Don't skimp on safety equip.and quality tool's.