General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gap between door different on left and right side

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Gap between door different on left and right side

So today I opened the back passenger side doors for something and heard this small "tud" sound, I closed the door and opened it again and heard the same. Turns out the back door was rubbing against this door guard clip thiny (first one on page - Cowles Products - Automotive Molding & Striping) I have installed. I tried it on the left (driver) side and no sound. Then I took a closer look and noticed that the gap between the front door and the back door was wider on the driver side than on the passenger side. Is it just my car or is it supposed to be like that? It's like maybe 1mm wider.

The door guard also scratched my paint in many places when I took it off due to rocks getting between it and the paint, kind of regret putting it on. The only reason I even have it on the passenger side is so that it'll match the driver side, which I need to get out of the car in my garage. Anyway, I just put it back on to cover the scratches. I'll live with the noise, it's not a big deal and it doesn't seem like it's damaging the door.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
It just sounds like a slightly off tolerance. All cars have them to varying
degrees. The Fit just isnt one of the ones with really tight tollerances with regards to body paneling. It doesnt sound defectve, and 1mm may be horrible on some things but not really there. it just seems more like an annoyance.

You can probably sand/shave down one side of the "door gaurd thingy" so that it rubs less or not at all.

good luck

Last edited by Snap Fit; 02-28-2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: cuz of the usual issues... being dumb and what not...heehee
Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
tin
5 Year Member
I had no doubt it was normal, little things like this just bother me. But I'll live.

I probably won't bother sanding it, seems like every time I try to do something small like this I cause a bigger problem. Like removing it and scratching the car in the process and just ending up putting it back on to hide scratches.