General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bad idea to purchase a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
you will definitely not regret the fit once you're driving it home

i'll admit that as i was signing the paperwork for mine, i was thinking "what the hell am i doing this for?? brand new car am i CRAAAZYYY?!?!?"

then once i drove home it was all good

as far as new cars go, you get so much for the money you're spending it won't bother you. it looks like you've done your research, so enjoy!!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by piperpiperpiper
drzenitram,

Scholfield does have some MTs, but if I'm buying a new car, I really don't want anyone else to test drive it or thrash it. Not to be silly, but I remember how hard the Mazda dealership drove their car when I test drove the 3 with them. By reserving one, I can have it set aside (I've already asked), no one abuses it, and I can put up with my current vehicle for another few months.

bluecivic107,

I make about 33k a year and have very few expenses (splitting living costs with others and the cost of living in Kansas is very low), I have no problem affording the payment or insurance. I checked my credit score a while ago, but I didn't have a credit card at the time (I've always used debit), and my credit was just based on my student loan payments and I didn't get a score that I can remember. My current vehicle needs about $600 of work, has no muffler, has a plexiglass window in the back that rattles at highway speeds, the front power windows quit working a while ago, the heater and defrost don't really work (nor does the A/C), I'm lucky to get 15 mpg, and it has troubles going into the wind or uphill. I look forward to getting rid of it.

However, if push came to shove, I could always live in it down by the river...

Thanks for all of your input!

-piper
ahh yeah I talked to some guy named sebastian. I didn't want all the accessories so he told me I could put 300 down and have my own car put aside like you did, but he told me it would be 2-3 weeks if I wanted one when it came in. they've got you waiting months?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
The salesman has quoted me a final price of 17,270.86 including sales tax, fees, and dealer's costs, etc. The dealership also does an undercoating, paint protector, mats, and scuff guard on the rear bumper. Does this price seem reasonable (this is the FINAL cost including everything)?

Note I already have $300 down to reserve this car.

-piper

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Piper....seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me considering they don't have the car on the lot. You can usually save $$ by purchasing a car that is already in inventory. If you pay less than MSRP for a car they are ordering for you, it's a good deal (especially a car like the Fit in high demand). The undercoating and protectant are crap, but the floor mats and bumper guard are tangible options that add up...especially if they're installed. Reading your post about what you're currently driving, you will absolutely not regret getting this new car...you will smile every time you go to work. I was driving a 1977 Scout II for about six months in between selling my Tahoe and getting our new Fit. The Scout had similar issues to what you described...no heat/defrost, terrible noxious fumes, painful starts, 15mpg if i was lucky, and so on. I really only have the Scout for summer top-down driving and off-roading...not for winter commuting. I was thinking the same thing when I was at the dealer about why am I buying a "new" car, etc., etc. Every morning when I go to work now, I smile and remember the days of driving the Scout. I really couldn't get in to a used Honda for much less than I was buying the brand new Fit (that includes used Fits). They hold their resale value so well!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a 98 Honda Accord brand new back in December of 97. I got the car with 4 miles on it. The car now has 178,500+ on it. I keep my cars. Before the accord I drove an 87 Acura Integra RS M/T. Being that I lived in Orlando, and traffic was horrible (still is I hear), I decided to buy the Accord with an Automatic Transmission.

Now that I live in Stuart, (not that much traffic in the area) I want to go back to M/T. I test drove the Honda Fit and was hooked on it. I even test drove the Sicon XD M/T and wasn't really liking that at all. I looked at the Yaris and said NO right away.

My goal is to have 200 to 225 payments a month. After calculating and what not, I have to come up with 5000 to 6000 down. I'm not buying the car until I have that money saved up.

I already told the local dealership that I want the BOM fit. I was going to go for a SSM Fit but a neighbor bought the base fit with that color. I was torn between VBP and BOM and I've seen several VBP's in the area. I've only seen 1 BOM fit in the area.

The only worry that I would think of having is if the economy actually did tank (it's hard to believe that it will), and it effected my job status, I would be pissed if I had to find another job.

My father always said just make sure you have enough saved to stashed away just incase something happens. So I think I've got my bases covered.

Nonetheless I will wait until I have the money for the down payment. I cant wait to get the FIT. Once I do I know I won't regret it

Peace,

Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I dont see why you wouldnt buy it. Sounds like the payments wont be a problem. This possible recession thing has everyone going nuts, and not wanting to spend, but thats exactly what puts countries into recession - no spending.

I say, with interest rates low, you'll be able to lock in a better interest rate, and then when the economy turns around (which it will) you'll have a low rate with the possibility of your dollar going further and maybe making more money.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM
With Honda's I've noticed that if you're looking to buy a relativily new car, ie last 2-3 years, you're almost better off buying new. A use honda retains it's value so much that buying a brand new one is only a couple thousand more and comes with a longer warrenty, plus it's not been driven at all yet. When I bought my Fit, the only used ones I saw were like $14k, so at that price, why wouldn't I buy a new one.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Don't Do It!!!

The salesman has quoted me a final price of 17,270.86 including sales tax, fees, and dealer's costs, etc. The dealership also does an undercoating, paint protector, mats, and scuff guard on the rear bumper. Does this price seem reasonable (this is the FINAL cost including everything)?

-piper
DOn't Do it!!!
For a Honda Fit SPort Stick, I would attempt to go down to $16,500 out the door. Forget about the undercoating, paint protector, and scuff guard. They are charging you a butt load for those extras.

Also, do not get GAP insurance...Try to get financing from a bank. The going rate right now is 4.4% Variable or 5.4% fixed for 60 months. This ofcourse is only for prime, or first tier borrowers.

FYI, I just puchased a 2008 HONDA Fit Sport AT for $17,400 Out the door. This car is for my wife, who had a 1999 Honda Accord LX with 182,000 miles. Her Accord had a cracked blocked. Told her that I would replace the engine with another F23A, but she wasn't buying it.. Hence our new Fit...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
6th Gen Honda Accord

Originally Posted by Skytraveler
I bought a 98 Honda Accord brand new back in December of 97. I got the car with 4 miles on it. The car now has 178,500+ on it.
By any chance, did you have issues with oil in your coolant, (looks like choco milkshake)?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Is the insurance cheaper on a fit compared to civic?

Last edited by jtsimaras; 02-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 PM

-piper
17.2 including tax fees and dealers cost means that he got the car for like 15500 before all of that. I'd say it's a good deal. Sales tax bites.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by jtsimaras
Is the insurance cheaper on a fit compared to civic?
Depends on trims, etc.