General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Dunlop Tires - Never Again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Well i dont have a fit I want to get one badly

Currently driving 1993 Honda Accord EX coupe and running on Dunlop Sp Sport HR4. I got to say AWESOME TIRES. I was driving in the snow storm the other day. Highway and streets were covered in snow. I got to say these tires got some grip!!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Well, My Fit has about 31K on the original tires, and it is getting pretty close to new-tire time. Does anyone here have a quiet tire? I HATE the amount of road noise I get from my OEM Dunlops. I don't know if it's the tires, or the lack of sound attenuation in this car, but it is unreasonably loud in my opinion. Especially with the back seats all the way down. I want a little bit of serenity in there unless the stereo is turned up!

I am not familiar with Hankook Optimo tires. That's something they carry at Goodyear?

Did you rotate your tires at regular intervals? Sometimes they get "chopped" which is uneven tread if you don't, especially in FWD cars. I went about 16,000 miles without a rotation and mine make the "chopping" noise on the highway.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I have rotated the tires, although not as many times as I should have, I guess.
What is the deal with rotating only front-to-rear but never left to right these days? We used to rotate in a pattern that would take the front tires and crisscross them to the rear, and take the rear ones and move them straight forward (without crisscrossing). That way, each tire spends at least a little time on each corner of the car. Would it not be better to still do it this way?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by rjm161
How old is your Fit? Maybe there REALLY is a shortage! _
Its a 2008...Bought in January

Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
I have rotated the tires, although not as many times as I should have, I guess.
What is the deal with rotating only front-to-rear but never left to right these days? We used to rotate in a pattern that would take the front tires and crisscross them to the rear, and take the rear ones and move them straight forward (without crisscrossing). That way, each tire spends at least a little time on each corner of the car. Would it not be better to still do it this way?
tires these days have a mesh inside of them that has a direction of inertia. if you switched from left to right, the tires would switch its inertia path and the tire would have weak points resulting in a possible blow out. there is an arrow on all tires that are directional. you should never ever go against that arrow.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
tires these days have a mesh inside of them that has a direction of inertia. if you switched from left to right, the tires would switch its inertia path and the tire would have weak points resulting in a possible blow out. there is an arrow on all tires that are directional. you should never ever go against that arrow.
Makes me recall back when I was much younger, we rotated the tires on my friends VW Corrado and we weren't aware they were directional tires, and put them ALL on going the wrong direction. We didn't realize what was wrong when we kept sliding around in the rain. DOH!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Well, My Fit has about 31K on the original tires, and it is getting pretty close to new-tire time. Does anyone here have a quiet tire? I HATE the amount of road noise I get from my OEM Dunlops. I don't know if it's the tires, or the lack of sound attenuation in this car, but it is unreasonably loud in my opinion. Especially with the back seats all the way down. I want a little bit of serenity in there unless the stereo is turned up!

I am not familiar with Hankook Optimo tires. That's something they carry at Goodyear?
Try Kumhos....they are very good tires for the money. Very good all around and very cheap for what you get.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
i figure i'll vent about my tire problem here

about a week ago saturday, i noticed a bubble in my tire (still stock dunlop 15s with almost 20,000 miles). i tried ordering a replacement from the honda dealer closest to my house, go figure i didn't originally buy my fit from them (which shouldn't matter either way, but i digress). they said they were ordering it saturday, turns out i called back monday to see when it would be in, and they hadn't ordered it. then it was supposed to take 4 days, so as of friday they still didn't have it, so i went to NTB and got a pair of sumitomos for the front.

so far i actually really like them a lot, the road noise seems to have lessened even with just 2 new tires.

that is my story

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
i'm old (er) and have had many muscle cars/bikes/tuners and even some family vans and suv's..and had a couple of experiences with dunlops in 68/88 and then 2006 with the FIT....lets just say i didn't go for "3rd time the charm." i replaced the OEM dunlops the next day with barely 5kms on the car---after reading the comments here, i see i did the right thing.......thanks for the validation!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Well I'm currently at 42,000 miles on my original stock tires. I have about 1 more month left of them before I'll need new ones.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
For daily city driving the stk dunlops are fine but other then that like the most of you i've changed.
P.S. just want to point out that i bought Dunlop M3's for winter and luv them so basicly just saying not all dunlops are bad lol

Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by angeldragon0
For daily city driving the stk dunlops are fine but other then that like the most of you i've changed.
P.S. just want to point out that i bought Dunlop M3's for winter and luv them so basicly just saying not all dunlops are bad lol

...quick update;
just reached 90,000km on my '07 AT and with 3 winters done the Dunlop M3's are still good (lill' noisy but good) the wear is minimal (only 1/4 of the thread gone) <- as per dealership sched. inspection.

*please note that my commute to work is +/- 100km (to and from) and is 25-50-25 (city-highway-country)

Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
humm... thread title is not fair because ive had DUNLOP tires (the real ones for summer) and they were excellent.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I baldified the front OE Dunlops in 28K miles. They were noisy, which wasn't really my chief complaint about them. I never rotated my tires as I should have and tend to take back roads at a brisk pace so their wearing out didn't really bother me either. What I couldn't stand about the Dunlops was their scary unpredictability in the rain. For a tire that gripped reasonably well in the dry they went straight to hell in the wet. I replaced them with a slightly wider (205/50-15) set of Nitto Neogens and they have done pretty well for the last 32K. The Nittos are just as noisy as the Dunlops, despite a radically different tread design, so I'm assuming that most of the noise complaint comes from the lack of sound insulation in our Fits. Now that I know that I'm going to replace the Nittos with some Continental Extremecontacts. I had these on my last two cars and they are one of the best, most consistent performing tires for four season use that I have ever used. They are noisy as hell, especially as they age and can be a bitch kitty to balance, but I can live with that....

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 03-15-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: changed spelling
Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
If anything I'd like to experiment with one of the Dunlop tires on my motorbike with the stiff sidewalls that cops like to use too. It's almost like having a run flat tire. I don't mind tires going flat on my car but I'm really stranded when that happens on my motorcycle

Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Certain tire brands have their issues, and to be honest - even though I just bought a set of DZ101s - their Turanza brand tires and OE sizes suck. Overall though the brand I've seen the worst of is Pirelli by far. Too much roadforce, lots of road noise and the tires wear horribly.

For OE tires, your best bet is either Michellin, Bridgestone, Continental or other budget brands.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITProject
Certain tire brands have their issues, and to be honest - even though I just bought a set of DZ101s - their Turanza brand tires and OE sizes suck. Overall though the brand I've seen the worst of is Pirelli by far. Too much roadforce, lots of road noise and the tires wear horribly.

For OE tires, your best bet is either Michellin, Bridgestone, Continental or other budget brands.
Turanza is Bridgestone's touring tire lineup, not Dunlop's.

Agreed with Pirelli sucking at the cheap end though.

Over here Dunlop's LM702 has had a notorious reputation for developing lumps in the sidewall. It's done a lot to destroy Dunlop's reputation here locally despite just being one tire choice out of the entire lineup. I'm not sure if the newer LM703 fares any better.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
haha you want to talk about road noise? try out some bf goodrich g force kdw's. above 40mph it sounds like im driving over teeny little bumps. but they grip like nobodys business and that is the most important aspect of a tire to me.
Lol! I couldn't handle that. Grip is definitely the most important factor for me, and it should be for everyone. (but far be it from me to father, and certainly not mother, anyone about what's most important ) But I'm with the OP... road noise makes me crazy.

Problem for me is I also own a large, rather comfortable vehicle. I can't hear the engine at all while idling, and I can barely hear it while driving... road noise is non-existent. I have virtually no noise at all while driving it, and have become spoiled by the quiet ride. Yet, I don't expect the Fit to be anywhere near that quiet... I have "fairly" reasonable expectations anyway!

I've used Dunlops on other cars, and they performed just as well as other tires I've owned. However, if it were a choice between the Dunlop stock tires or the Bridgestone, I would personally choose the Bridgestone every time. The Bridgestones are actually rated better for weather than the Dunlops. As such though, neither are anything to write home about.

I hear the Bridgestones are quieter. That, I wouldn't know about.

If I needed all-season tires for the Fit right now I would go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I've heard great things about these all-seasons... including from Jim @ Tire Rack.

Anyway, glad you can handle road noise... I can't. The less, the better!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
... Now that I know that I'm going to replace the Nittos with some Continental Extremecontacts. I had these on my last two cars and they are one of the best, most consistent performing tires for four season use that I have ever used. They are noisy as hell, especially as they age and can be a bitch kitty to balance, but I can live with that....
Hey, let us know how the new Conti Extremes do. Noise compared to your current tires, handling, weather, etc................

I was thinking of getting Conti Extreme Contact DWS when I replace the stock wheels on my Fit. As a previous post of mine states... I've heard really good things about these particular tires, for all-season, that is.

Again, PLEASE let me know. You can even PM me about them if you like... not a problem either way. I just like having some kind of conformation before purchasing anything.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Well I should have some info in the very near future because I went to rotate my tires whilst changing my oil this afternoon and guess what? The Nittos are D E A D at 32,000 miles! LOL 30K just seems to be the life expectancy for my tires with the Fit. And I'm actually referring to the "old" Conti Extremecontacts rather than the new DWS. I had been led to believe that they were discontinued when the DWS was introduced, turns out not to be the case. The new DWS is not available in 15" so I can't use them on my 08 with stock wheels. The "old" ones on the other hand come in 205/50-15 which is exactly what I want. I cannot say enough good things about the "old" extremecontacts regardless they really are great tires in year-round use. But again, you have to be able to abide a fair bit of tread noise, which gets worse as the tread thins out.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Tires - Never Again!