General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

General Nauseous Feeling...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM
General Nauseous Feeling...

Not being a "hater" I just don't understand. I get this nauseous feeling anytime I hear a tuner exhaust coming from an auto trans vehicle. The errrrrrrroooorrrrr is just soooo un-natural. I've read thread after thread about wanting to put turbos and superchargers on autos also. Come on!! Did you want to drive the car or let the car drive you? Anybody really have a good reason to buy an auto other than "I can't drive a stick" or "I drive in traffic"?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PhitsPhine
Not being a "hater" I just don't understand. I get this nauseous feeling anytime I hear a tuner exhaust coming from an auto trans vehicle. The errrrrrrroooorrrrr is just soooo un-natural. I've read thread after thread about wanting to put turbos and superchargers on autos also. Come on!! Did you want to drive the car or let the car drive you? Anybody really have a good reason to buy an auto other than "I can't drive a stick" or "I drive in traffic"?
Being physically disabled as to make shifting and clutch work impossible, living and working in San Fran, transporting ~2+ kids (i.e. soccer moms, et al.), um...

uh...

I ran out of reasons :-P

Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
ahh, the 1% disabled population speaks. I stand corrected (no pun intended). Both my grandparents were physically disabled so I fully understand. The part about soccer, traffic and San Fran says "pick one: Tuner or Mini Van" I understand why people OWN automatic trans cars, but why do they try to tune them? Maybe I'm just bitter because I had to give up my awesome 3.2 TL because of auto trans failure........

Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I got an auto since I have a CRX for "playing".
Traffic congestion was another reason.
Greatest one was an idea that being an auto I would leave it alone and drive it as is. That is not really working out at the moment!
I blame the car itself. It is just too much fun!

At this point my wife gave up on holding me up on the Fit promise.
I am free to mess with it as long as I leave her Civic alone!

Ivan

Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
ahh, the 1% disabled population speaks. I stand corrected (no pun intended). Both my grandparents were physically disabled so I fully understand. The part about soccer, traffic and San Fran says "pick one: Tuner or Mini Van" I understand why people OWN automatic trans cars, but why do they try to tune them? Maybe I'm just bitter because I had to give up my awesome 3.2 TL because of auto trans failure........
Did your TL happen to be between 2002-2004 and be a Type-S?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
i agee with cojaro... there is way too man autos on the road... if you cant drive stick you should not have your licence (sp?) (unless you are physicly incapable) another thing... changing a tire should be part of a driving test... i mean come on is it really that hard? i know my dad MADE me change tire before i even got in the drivers seat.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 PM
2003 but not a Type-S. They had a known problem - mine had received the "oiling" factory mod at 70K but it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd. It had 120K on the clock though and trading it in on the Fit left me with no complaints. I just could have repaired (personally) everything on that car except for a failing trans. I wasn't about to spend $3K, plus all the time/effort to install it, only to find that the new trans had a problem too.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
that's why you see the AT doing mostly the exterior decor i.e. jdm coversion, stretched tires, LED strips, the list continues

Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Retired Moderator
Haha what do you think about the new GTR one of the fastest cars in the world being a AT?!? I personally love the sound of ATs with exhaust, alomost more then MTs with exhaust. Have you ever heard a G35 or 350Z. They have a great stock exhaust not, i honestly think those two cars in AT sound better when shifting then the MT models. Just persnonal preference i guess.

Tyler

Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
2003 but not a Type-S. They had a known problem - mine had received the "oiling" factory mod at 70K but it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd. It had 120K on the clock though and trading it in on the Fit left me with no complaints. I just could have repaired (personally) everything on that car except for a failing trans. I wasn't about to spend $3K, plus all the time/effort to install it, only to find that the new trans had a problem too.
<jackthread>

My mom has an '03 Type-S and she had her transmission replaced twice before finally getting fed up and trading it in for an '07. Known problem, but Acura, as far as I know, never resolved it.

</jackthread>

Old 02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
[quote=PhitsPhine;243432]Not being a "hater" I just don't understand. I get this nauseous feeling anytime I hear a tuner exhaust coming from an auto trans vehicle. The errrrrrrroooorrrrr is just soooo un-natural. I've read thread after thread about wanting to put turbos and superchargers on autos also. Come on!! Did you want to drive the car or let the car drive you? Anybody really have a good reason to buy an auto other than "I can't drive a stick" or "I drive in traffic"?[/quote]

-you should get that looked at

-both...I suppose thats why the paddles are popular...

-disscomfort
-annoying
-traffic
-not a enjoyable shifter
-short gearing
-non enthusiasts
-dissabled
-usually smoother when transporting valuables
-traffic.....crappy Socal 405<<<<usually the dealbreaker right there!
-better accident avoidance for some
-some are getting better MPG's
-some love the paddles
-gear leaver in a bad/poor position
-not wanting to be bothered
-you notice more things that dont sound right
-some think it keeps them more civil behind the wheel
-Way, Way less chance of messing up your motor by miss shifting(downshift in particular)
-multiple driver households that use the same car and one doesnt
know stick or it is a compromise for versatility
-versatility
-some may want to hold the significant others hand
-cause the CVT was lame and a regular A/T felt more like a real car, or what they were used to
-so more people could goof off behind the wheel and put the left foot out the window or hold the cell and drink (these people cannot be bothered with shifting ya know )
-Wont burn up a clutch
-takes way less thought
-less stress
-want smoother drives by and large
-those who think that an M/T is gimicky in this new era of autos..
(HAHAHAHAHAA)
-too old to drive reliably (give em an A/T pleeeeezzzz)

.....I think I could go on forever....

....hope that helps ...oh and i have and love my MT

Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Have you ever heard a G35 or 350Z. They have a great stock exhaust not, i honestly think those two cars in AT sound better when shifting then the MT models. Just persnonal preference i guess.

Tyler
yah, you're either on crack or you dont know wat cars are all about.

i too hate loud AT shiftup noises.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Reasons could also be as simple as a person wanting to drive an auto and not having to fuss with a manual.

Why does one person like red and the other person like blue?

Why does one person decide to snap and go postal in colleges and some dont?

No one will ever know unless you have the inside scoop with the almighty creator himself.

The reason people choose an automatic is because its their choice, or in some cases they had no choice. This response is not meant to be a flame either, but spending time to psycho analyze stuff like this is just that a waste of time imo, move on.

All my cars are auto, yes including the NSX. My reason, in case of emergencies (house on fire and Im not around since I do travel a bit) or I might have family members that need to move my cars or they might need a car, they can use one of mine and I dont have to worry about them frying the clutch or worse. Yes I could get a manual, but much like your comment about the automatic, why? Im happy with what I got and anything others think or say is not going to change that.

Here is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks taken from another post here. I would never be caught doing this to any car I own, but if the owner is happy, more power to him. I got better things to do than think about the why he chose this or that.

YouTube - honda accord

Last edited by FITrunner; 02-21-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, you're either on crack or you dont know wat cars are all about.

i too hate loud AT shiftup noises.
Hahaha..Not really man. Like i said, just my preference. Im not as much of a fan of the manual not as the AT, the shifts sound better in the AT to me.
All you MT fans better get use to AT whooping you pretty soon. They proved its possible in a Nissan, the R35 GTR. 0-60 in 3.4, i bet if it was a MT it would be more like 4.2. The shifts are way faster then humaninly possible. Go on youtube and watch some GTR vids, you will see what i mean about FAST shifts.

Tyler

Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hahaha..Not really man. Like i said, just my preference. Im not as much of a fan of the manual not as the AT, the shifts sound better in the AT to me.
All you MT fans better get use to AT whooping you pretty soon. They proved its possible in a Nissan, the R35 GTR. 0-60 in 3.4, i bet if it was a MT it would be more like 4.2. The shifts are way faster then humaninly possible. Go on youtube and watch some GTR vids, you will see what i mean about FAST shifts.

Tyler
yah, well dont get carried away that YOUR AT on your car is as good
as the true racing AT which is an electronically controlled double+
clutch system. no sluushy torque converter setup. it's much closer
to a MT than the AT on your Fit's.

also, when you get older you'll understand that a street car is not
about just speed. it's about the driving pleasure/spirit. do you think
i would have a FitSport 5MT if it wasn't fun to drive?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, well dont get carried away that YOUR AT on your car is as good
as the true racing AT which is an electronically controlled double+
clutch system. no sluushy torque converter setup. it's much closer
to a MT than the AT on your Fit's.

also, when you get older you'll understand that a street car is not
about just speed. it's about the driving pleasure/spirit. do you think
i would have a FitSport 5MT if it wasn't fun to drive?
Yeah, i have nothing against MTs at all. Infact i love them! I kinda wish my Fit was MT, just because you have more control of the engine. but the fact that it revs so high on the highway really pushed me towards the AT. Plus back then i though paddle shifters were the coolest thing ever.

Tyler

Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM
this has been talked about more than anything on any auto forum. i had an auto awd talon and i loved it. i have an auto fit and love it just as much. i can drive stick and have before. i test drove both cars and the auto was way more fun to drive for me.

p.s. i love this smiley

Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
the discussion wasn't on whether there was a place for AT, it was what the deal was with spending money to raise the HP on something so mushy. I have a MT Element too. I can squeal the tires in first AND second. Have you driven a AT Element? The hamster needs a Red Bull.

I had an AT Integra (cause it was practical - long commute blah blah blah) and an AT TL 3.2 (which was wicked fast but if I hadn't offed it before the trans went would've been worth a few thousand $$)

I think the MT Fit is a blast to drive. In fact, as much as I want the supercharger, I can't see it being all that worth it. The Fit, being a little underpowered, makes you "drive" it more to be fast. Anyone can stomp down on the pedal, it takes someone who "feels" the car to drive a stick.

Oh, and if you don't drive a stick like a teenager, you don't have to toss your load all over the place between shifts (you toss it going around corners )

Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, i have nothing against MTs at all. Infact i love them! I kinda wish my Fit was MT, just because you have more control of the engine. but the fact that it revs so high on the highway really pushed me towards the AT. Plus back then i though paddle shifters were the coolest thing ever.

Tyler
yah, i can understand trying out those paddle shifters. they are
definitely very cool option to have.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Here is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks taken from another post here. I would never be caught doing this to any car I own, but if the owner is happy, more power to him. I got better things to do than think about the why he chose this or that.

YouTube - honda accord
^^^^^^^
YUP!!! I am pretty sure thats about the funniest/scariest thing I have seen lately, thanks for the B-Day video....(now I will forever have something to remember this day by....cuz the eclipse last night got fogged in.... booo)
peace

okay..... now.....
I be done...peace...im out....

Quick Reply: General Nauseous Feeling...