General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hydroplaning issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Hydroplaning issues.

Alright well i ended up driving through a pretty rough thunderstorm last night, not a great idea but i did get to find out a lot about "Ruby" wet compared to "Ruby" dry. haha. I was driving pretty slow and even rocked the hazards just to give you an idea of how slow i was going. With all that said i found that the car is to light to perform all that well in the wet because i couldnt get any traction. I should have rolled down the windows and rowed home. haha. With the weight of the car being as light as it is and the wind blowing with the roads being wet, it was Of course a terrible ride but atleast i know the next time it rains hard, take the Buick. . Anyone else had experiences with hydroplaning? I guess the only thing i can think of to fix it is to get better tires and get rid of the oe's but who knows.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 PM
we have a neat phenomenon known as chinook winds here. they blow at about 50-70 mph constant with gusts up to 100. they bring warm air with them. usually 45 degrees. we actually have some of that going on right now, and have standing water on all of the roads. with that said, i have never had a problem with hydroplaning the fit. i'm going to assume you live some place warmish and have summer or 'all season' tires. as long as you have tires not meant for wet/ snowy climates, you will have problems. i even have a 94 del sol that i gutted and got down to 2200 pounds that i have no wet weather issues in.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
i hve actualy found the handling fine in wet weather...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I dont know what i was doing so different last night then. I was all over the road. When the wind was blowing across the interstate it was even worse. I had to drive outside of the groves in the road otherwise the car would hydroplane and i would lose control. I was driving on I95 which is a somewhat terrible road anyway so maybe that had something to do with it then.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i was motoring around in heavy rain yesterday running my usual
'pre-assumed-as-POS' Ziex912's... it surprised me. i was running
expressway speeds with no issues, ran through some exit ramps
pretty fast with no slippage. temp was 40F.

the tires have been nothing but crap the last few months in
frigid temps, but it actually runs pretty well in the wet non-freezing
temps.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Retired Moderator
I rolled through some intense thunderstorms where the freeway is like flooding and didnt have a problem. Thats really strange that you couldnt get traction? Are your tires in good condition?

Tyler

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Yea only 18K on them and i rotate them every time i change the oil. They still look almost brand new. I honestly dont know why the heck it was doing it. Yes there was alot of water on the road but no more then i have dealt with in my buick and that car pushes through everything. haha. I wish someone was with to take a video of it. I had my camera but couldnt drive and take the video at the same time. I thought it was really wierd and barely took one hand off the wheel. Never really hat this problem in the fit before tho. idk?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
i am on 23k miles and i have not had an issue and one time i was racing along the parkway in jersey in snowing/raining conditions....i thought the car handled pretty well for the speed we were doing..hehe..but yeah i need to rotate my tires soon have done it only once..i kno i kno bad hondasforlife...anyone recomend when i should get new tires.....

Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hm i haven't had any problems driving on wet roads (with the stock tires). the only advice i would have is to slow down in those conditions because that's the best way to counter hydroplaning in my opinion. but it looks like you said you were going pretty slow already. what was your speed may i ask?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 AM
It wasnt icy cold was it??? (guess not since you said it was really wet...but worth a shot )

This car is not light thats for sure so I would rule that out...but it can get hit with wind pretty hard, was the road really really slik and uneven in addition to being really wet?

was there some dirt and maybe loose (very light) gravel on the road...it becomes ball bearing like and sometimes it doesnt seem gritty just really slippy.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 AM
There were times that i was going 40mph and some times i had to bring it down to 25-30mph. If anyone has driven I-95 before they will understand the grooves that are in the road that pool with water and you have to avoid them at all costs. I was out of the grooves for the most part but everytime the wind blew and it put me in the grooves i would lose it. There were other puddles that i couldnt avoid and when i hit them would lose it too. It was def pouring but as slow as i was going, mostly cause of the worthless 2 speed wipers, i wouldnt think that i was going to be all over the road like i experienced. Heres an example for you there was a time when the rain had slowed down to a sprinkle and i had the cruise on 40mph(in a 70mph zone) in 5th gear and the front tires would break free. I would look at the tach and it would go to almost 4 when i would be cruising at around 2. It was crazy wierd. I only had the cruise on to see if it would hydroplane out. I dont run cruise in bad weather otherwise.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Seriously????

that just doesnt sound right/good

maybe I read it wrong...cuz that didnt sound normal in any way....
ice, oil slick, errrr whatever... (again maybe I read it wrong, I be thinkin Twilight Zone! )

Old 02-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Nope nothing crazy except rain, my car, and the interstate i was driving on. I have pretty much been a vegetable all day today and havent went outside once so i will give it a good look over tomorrow before i leave for work. I have to instal my new strut tower bar and new fog bulbs anyway

Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I drove through a huge, deep puddle on a curve in the road last week. Water splashing all over the place, up onto the hood. I totally expected to lose control of the car (I was going way too fast for the conditions). I was AMAZED at how much traction and control I had.

I have Dunlop Graspic tires on my car. Very deep tread, a lot of siping, and they are over 3 years old (left over from a Civic). Snow tires would be a waste in NC, but if you're in Wisconsin...maybe?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
even with no thread left in my tires i have excellent traction in snow ( yes i said snow) and pure pouring rain....

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Zangoose GD3 Blue
even with no thread left in my tires i have excellent traction in snow ( yes i said snow) and pure pouring rain....

same here homi same here

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
different tires can make a world of difference. my '01 civic had tires that felt like solid plastic. they felt like the wheel on a big-wheel. they lasted forever, but they had zero traction. i switched to falken ziex tires and it was night and day in wet conditions.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Hondasforlife
i am on 23k miles and i have not had an issue and one time i was racing along the parkway in jersey in snowing/raining conditions....i thought the car handled pretty well for the speed we were doing..hehe..but yeah i need to rotate my tires soon have done it only once..i kno i kno bad hondasforlife...anyone recomend when i should get new tires.....
i witnessed it >> this dude's crazy lol hes like

My car on the otherhand hydroplanes like hell but when its dry, i think im in a lotus

Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
where did he go?
thats all you will say when following hondasforlife..
where the hell did he go!?!
lol
(o, hes behind me hehe , no not really)
but ya i think the fit is pretty good in wet weather

Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
i've only had one problem in wet weather, and that was yesterday. i went through a puddle that was a little too deep

other than that, i've actually got nothing but good things to say about the fit in bad weather.

Quick Reply: Hydroplaning issues.