General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Maybe paddle shifters shouldn't work in "D"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:40 AM
tin
5 Year Member
Maybe paddle shifters shouldn't work in "D"

I know a lot of folks with a Sport Auto like having the paddle shifters available while in "D" but it caused me a bit of trouble on the highway today. While I was in process of turning into the left lane to pass a slow car I somehow hit the "-" paddle by mistake, which for some reason caused the gear to shift into 2nd gear and bam it red lined. I was like "OH SNAP!" and hit the "+" paddle as quickly as I can but not before the engine started screaming, "puut puut puuting" and stopped accelerating. If the car behind me wasn't so far away I probably would have been rear ended. I'm chicken, I wait for big gaps, saved me this time.

I was probably going around 45 at the time, I had already hit the gas to speed up and the engine had probably already down shifted to speed up when I hit the "-" paddle. Isn't the computer supposed to not allow unsafe gear shifts (said so in the manual, didn't it)? I think that was pretty dangerous.

And going 45mph at 2nd gear, does that harm the engine? I know from a couple of searches that red lining the fit won't do any damage, but is what happened to me a bit different?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 AM
I redline it all the time and accidentally have hit the rev limiter... it's there for a reason you won't hurt anything. What you should have done is just floored it and let it shift on its own. In D in paddle mode it will just shift when it hits redline, if it's in S and"M" mode (no pun intended) it will not, it will let you hit the rev limiter. Don't worry just have fun, if redlining it hurt the engine, it wouldnt redline in D when you punch it without touching the paddles... think of that!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
no it doesn't. I downshift from 3rd to second all the time at 45mph and no problems, but i blip the transmission so there is no hard jerk. You won't have a problem, especially if u only did it once.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM
When I First Started Using Sports I Tested If I Can Downshift At Certian Speeds And So On And So On...but I Got Pretty Damn Good With The Paddles....and I Have Red Lined In Those Tests...i Felt The Pain Of The Car...which Sucked..but Its Only Natural Just Happy We Dont Got Paddle Shifters And A Real Clutch Like A Manual Or Else Dun Dun Dun

Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Retired Moderator
It may have been a transmission glitch or somthing. I dont think its possible for you to make it go from 5th to 2nd by accidently touching one paddle.

Tyler

Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
i guess just try to be more careful when turning to not hit the paddles.

what i have to do is pay more attention to what car i'm driving. my fiance has a sport auto, and i have a base manual. i always drive when we go out together, either her car or mine. sometime i start reaching for a clutch pedal that isn't there in her car when i start it up.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
My wife and I have found out it is real easy to accidentally hit the paddles when wearing winter gloves. It makes for fun in the snow or ice when you are trying to make a turn thru a busy intersection. Just have to be a little more careful is all.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you did that on a MT car and went high into redline you'll
need a new motor.

on a AT, the computer is programmed to let you downshift or
lock you out if you are out of the lower gear's range. you're fine.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Just so some people dont get confused I will say this about our M/T type Fits, we have a rev limiter too, but....... it only works on the upshifts, not down shifts.
I think most everyone knows this already but I thought I would put it in for the ones who dont (or the ones who cant read their manual...haaahaa)

So in your case its all good for reasons already stated, but indeed I do find it odd that you were able to accidently hit them (I could hardly hit them properly when I test drove it and I was aiming for them )

anywho I actually think its a bit safer to have them working in "D" mode as I have had many instances where my A/T in previous hondas bogged down in a turn and had no power comming out (cuz it engaged the wrong gear, too hight in those cases) and left me put....putting in front of not slow traffic. The paddles in "D" mode would have been helpful. Especially if I was not able to throttle modulate to keep or change the gear at the time.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
that's one of the reasons i didn't get an auto sport. i can't stand the paddles. lol

Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I got your paddles LOL

I've tried to down shift multiple gears. Fit won't let you. See your owners manual.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I also think it's a glitch of some sort. I know you can jump gears with the paddles, I remember someone stating that if you double click and then click again it will skip a gear. But in my case I only accidentally clicked it once while accelerating. I've read enough of the forums to know that the car can handle red lining, plus it's been driving fine, but I just find that a bit dangerous.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
if you did that on a MT car and went high into redline you'll
need a new motor.
Been there. Damn missed shift! Only needed new valve guides though.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 AM
Actually if you do check your owners manual, it states you CAN do multiple downshifts. All you need to do is first be going slow enough to engage a lower gear such as second, and be in fifth. It states to pull the left paddle twice, pause, then pull it again and it will go directly to 2nd. this ONLY works in M mode though... hope this helps

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Arashi
Actually if you do check your owners manual, it states you CAN do multiple downshifts. All you need to do is first be going slow enough to engage a lower gear such as second, and be in fifth. It states to pull the left paddle twice, pause, then pull it again and it will go directly to 2nd. this ONLY works in M mode though... hope this helps
as in "S" mode ...???

Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 AM
LOL yeah we need a masochist smiley for all of us auto drivers... i guess it is fitting though, S and M mode when you wanna punish your car and drive the hell out of it heh

Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
If you're coming in contact with the paddles you've got your hands inside the steering wheel rather than sliding around the outside. That will get you in more trouble yet.
As far as rpm is concerned the maximum speeds in gears are 30, 60, 90, and something like 130 and 170 in 4th and 5th. Which is why on track you only use 2nd, 3rd, and just briefly 4th on long straights. The automatic is geared for mileage.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Is it possible they fixed this on the '08s? My car won't let me do that. If I try do shift either way, up or down, at an incorrect speed the little number just flashes and will not change. Like if I am going down the highway at 70 it will not let me go into third. So, is it possible this has been fixed?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
The only real possibility

Originally Posted by TOOL
It may have been a transmission glitch or somthing. I dont think its possible for you to make it go from 5th to 2nd by accidently touching one paddle.

Tyler
Tyler is right. This was just a glitch, either of the transmission or the trans control. Glad it didn't cause you to have an accident or anything.