General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bizarre Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Bizarre Power Steering Problem

I have an '07 Fit Sport that I got last February. Twice now, I have been driving, and all of a sudden the power steering turns off. The malfunction light comes on, and I have to pull over. After I turn the car off, and then turn it back on, it's fine. The guys at the Honda dealer have no idea what is happening. Has this happened to anyone else? Any theories/advice would be appreciated!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
uh....havnt had that problem in my fit. but i did have it on my moms sentra xe.

but mine was for the crank pulley sensor and it just disabled everything at once. and it happened 3 times.

i guess the sentra is notorious for that.

but i still cant think of anything for the fit.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 AM
it happens... it also says these kind of things would happen in the owners manual

Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I have same p/s issue

07 Sport. It has happened twice. I start car i morning - no power steering. I haven't figured out when it starts working again.

I will test restarting as you say, and see if it fixes mine.

Hope we get some feedback on this one.

I don't understand Q's statement about the owners manual. I can't imagine they would put something like that in writing. "The power steering may not work all the time. This is normal."

Q -please explain.

thx to all.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
The power steering might only work sporadically. Be ready. Honda has programmed this to happen when the car is in a dark area with unfamiliar curves. Best wishes to you all, and please make sure your will is current. Nothing is more embarrassing for a dead person than finding out unexpectedly that they have overlooked something.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Check Engine Light On

You indicated that the CEL went on...You get the car scanned by Autozone.. They will do this service for FREE. Tell me what the Diagnostic Trouble Code is...

Although you might get intermittent CEL, the codes will be stored in your ECU...

This is the first step to troubleshooting...

Last edited by bluecivic107; 03-02-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Wow, this thread scares me~!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bluecivic107
You indicated that the CEL went on...You get the car scanned by Autozone.. They will do this service for FREE. Tell me what the Diagnostic Trouble Code is...

Although you might get intermittent CEL, the codes will be stored in your ECU...

This is the first step to troubleshooting...

Fit/Jazz doesn't have a CEL (check engine light) it has a MIL (malfunction indicator light).

Honda's USED to all have a CEL when it was just for the engine but new Honda's have a MIL because it indicates malfunctions in several systems NOT JUST THE ENGINE so it's not a cel anymore.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Fit/Jazz doesn't have a CEL (check engine light) it has a MIL (malfunction indicator light).

Honda's USED to all have a CEL when it was just for the engine but new Honda's have a MIL because it indicates malfunctions in several systems NOT JUST THE ENGINE so it's not a cel anymore.
Correct, it is referenced as a MIL (malfunction indicator lamp).

Although it is in the shape of an engine..... hehe

Back on topic, This just started happening to my Fit as well..... Not sure what it is either....

Maybe it is the fact that I never got that recall done for the North East "salt belt" area wiring patch by drivers side floor. (Not sure, but I'm gonna take care of that soon)

My scenario :

ALWAYS when I first start the car NO power steering for about 0-15 mph the it kicks in and STAY ON!! (which is good). This just started happening last week.....

Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
happened to me twice
luckily only in parking lots
just restarted the car and it was fine

Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
More info about the symptoms (if there are any) would help. Without additional info, this sounds like an electrical or wiring/connection problem - probably a loose connection. A PS connection is faulty on the first start so the computer shuts it off and gives you the light. By the second or third start, the connection has jiggled enough to give a proper signal. Anyone have a wiring diagram showing how the PS wires/connectors run? I haven't purchased my manual yet.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
This pretty much freaks me out. I haven't purchased my fit yet, but it sounds like a lot of you are having problems with this.

This + the horrible paint + the other recall = warding me away from getting a fit.

Is this really a widespread problem?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore

MIL = CEL...
nugga's technical...You went into the whole spiel with semantics, yet didn't contribute to the main topic, nor resolve the issue...THANKS BRO!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I've driven my fit pretty hard for 12,000KM without this happening. I wouldn't worry about it it seems isolated.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Others are having the problem

See these posts Honda Fit Suspension/Steering Problems - CarSpace Automotive Forums.

One poster notes there's a bulletin on it but no bulletin # is provided.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by drzenitram
This pretty much freaks me out. I haven't purchased my fit yet, but it sounds like a lot of you are having problems with this.
It appears to be rare, but why does it 'freak you out'? Steering still works when this happens, it's just the power assist system that is shut off. You will not lose the ability to steer your car.

I've had my 07 Fit for a bit over a month and about 2500 miles, and it's fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
It appears to be rare, but why does it 'freak you out'? Steering still works when this happens, it's just the power assist system that is shut off. You will not lose the ability to steer your car.

We have bad ice where I'm from, and, say, maybe i'd be making a turn and my power steering went out...

bad situation.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The light that pops on is a steering wheel with an exclamation mark in the middle. Pretty sure its not the MIL thing you all are talking about.
From what Ive heard and read, it happens during colder weather. Not sure if its normal but I have a few friends that its happened to. Most of them have 30,000miles and up though.

Just be careful. Take it to the dealer and tell them what its doing. If your car is lowered they may no warranty it. Some bull about extra street on the EPS or something? If its happening to more stock Fits then lowered ones it needs to be warrantied. Not to mention its a $1000 part.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent

My P/S actually is inop for the first few minutes of driving after a startup. And then at about 10-15mph it kicks in and stay on....

Light stays on ALL THE TIME...

I think I do have a problem...

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bluecivic107
MIL = CEL...
nugga's technical...You went into the whole spiel with semantics, yet didn't contribute to the main topic, nor resolve the issue...THANKS BRO!!!

No problem somebody has to correct your ignorance of proper nomenclature. If you are going to TRY and provide advice to other members please use the proper terminology so you don't confuse the rest of the noobies into thinking your advice is correct. This way they will have the CORRECT information.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Power Steering Problem