General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First "long" trip in the fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Red face First "long" trip in the fit

So this sunday i decided to take the first "long trip" in the fit. the reason i say long is because i went to san diego and back. about 250 miles total. All i have to say is this car is extremely FUN to drive. you would think a 1.5L engine would struggle on some of the hills that are on the way to SD, but nothing. I was pushing 75-80 all the way and on a pass i got up to 90 with no effort all this with two other people in the car too (one of which is 250 lbs )

all around this car is extremely awesome. i dont know how honda could make such a fun little car, but props to them. I think yesterday was the most fun i had driving ever.

Last edited by tecknical; 02-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I have to agree with you...the Fit is really fun to drive. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy driving my Prelude.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Meh.

(see my signature)

(j/k... the Fit is a decent handling car. Personally, I would like a 1" spacer for the steering wheel.. it's a little too far away from me)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
I also find the Fit to be a fun car on long trips. Sure it's a bit noisy, but I just turn up some music and it's not a problem. It's not like it's loud enough that it would prevent you from having a conversation with somebody either.

I also love the passing power. I know everyone on here likes to whine and complain about the fact that the engine is turning 3900 rpm at 80 mph or whatever, but for one it's a Honda engine and it can take it, and for two if it were geared any lower you'd have people complaining about having to downshift to pass.

I guess it's like politics, you can't make everybody happy all the time.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
shit i went from san diego to anaheim on friday. on sunday went to cerritos...and then back home to san diego.

then....socalprelude was having a meet. so i went back up to fullerton that night...and came back down again to san diego.

all but a comfy drive for me in a fit.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
I cant wait to pick my fit up! Yea i really laugh at all the people that complain about the trans. Its a honda and if it had any longer gears the thing wouldnt move. My car right now is at 4500 when at 80mph lol

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM
tin
5 Year Member
I drove over 1000 miles this past weekend. Nice drive over all, got to play with the paddle shifters. One thing I didn't like is the bumps, there were some big potholes/bumps in vermont. It handled snow/slush with no problem. My friend drove part of the time and he was going over 60 MPH in snow/slush, he normally drives an SUV and was following other SUVs going at the same speed.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Just got back from a ~260 mile trip to Vegas:

After lurking around here, I was worried about a few things. Luckily, most of those things are not as bothersome as I thought.

PROS:
1. Road/Tire/Wind Noise is not bad at all. Even on Paved and Concrete freeway sections, the Fit was not really that noisy, even at 8.5 and 9.5 MPH.
2. Tramlining was almost non-existent. The car tracked straight and true on the same roads that my other car was following the grooves.
3. Dead Center on the steering wheel was perfect, as is the pwr steering boost at high speeds.
4. I guesstimate the range to be about 320-330 miles. I was hoping for more, but the fill-ups only cost me a fraction of what I am used to paying.
5. Mild crosswinds did not affect the Fit as much as I would have thought with the high profile and light weight... and passing 18 wheelers did not affect the Fit much.
6. The ride was not all that bad. About the same as I am used to... maybe on really bad pavement, the Fit did react slightly rougher.
7. Power was decent (more than I expected) for all except the steepest grades.
8. The car feels so roomy and swallowed up a weekend's luggage for two people as well as some medium shopping in Vegas without folding the seats at all.
9. The Fit feels so light on it's feet. Turning becomes carving. It's awesome... and this is my first FWD... torque steer is minimal (maybe b/c the HP is low?)

CONS:
1. The slushbox cannot decide to stay in 4th when climbing long grades. It would go from 4th to 5th to 4th. I had to put the Fit in 4th until I saw it was time to go back to 5th. Does the Fit have grade-logic to tell if the car is going up/downhill?

2. The engine is quiet in 5th, but really buzzy in 4th. This is my biggest complaint. It doesn't sound like it's struggling, but it just makes a lot of unpleasant noise through the firewall everytime it has to go into 4th on the freeway. Also, when starting from a standstill, if you keep the revs up, it gets really buzzy...

3. On the steepest grades (I think it is 10-12 miles long), I had to keep my foot planted to the floorboards to maintain 8.0 MPH. But on all lesser inclines, the Fit can pull 9.0 easily.

4. The OEM Wiper blades are no good. When cleaning the WS, it streaks, even tho the car is brand new (1100 miles).

5. The cruise control could use better logic. When left to its own devices, it lets the FIT drop too much speed before it decides that you need to speed up. It's okay, but when climbing a steep incline, that momentum loss results in some slow pick-up back to speed... only for it to go through the cycle again once it reaches that preset speed. It should "think" faster.

6. Even though I have read it can be adjusted, I think the headlights should come from the factory to see just a little bit further. When going 8.5 - 9.0 MPH, it doesn't see far enough ahead.

All in all, this is a GREAT ride. Did I say GREAT? I got it to go on long trips and run errands... With reliability and quality. It does all that and a lot more. Believe me, after cross-shopping Nissans, Scions, Toyota's and American, nothing beats a Honda. And this is my first Honda, too!

Last edited by V10MPower; 02-12-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
my long trip was about 343 miles in one tank thats heading towards CT... and was pretty much doing 65-75 all the way there...

Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by CorrodesTheFilm
Sure it's a bit noisy, but I just turn up some music and it's not a problem. It's not like it's loud enough that it would prevent you from having a conversation with somebody either.
My last vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler soft top so the Fit is a serious upgrade in road noise. I'm loving being able to hear my music at much more reasonable volumes.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by V10MPower
PROS:
1. Road/Tire/Wind Noise is not bad at all. Even on Paved and Concrete freeway sections, the Fit was not really that noisy, even at 8.5 and 9.5 MPH.
3. On the steepest grades (I think it is 10-12 miles long), I had to keep my foot planted to the floorboards to maintain 8.0 MPH. But on all lesser inclines, the Fit can pull 9.0 easily.

6. Even though I have read it can be adjusted, I think the headlights should come from the factory to see just a little bit further. When going 8.5 - 9.0 MPH, it doesn't see far enough ahead.
I know you people out in Kaliforinstan are a little on the weird side, but why are you putting a decimal in your numbers?

There is NO where anyone denotes the number '90' as 9.0.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I take at least two road trips to Colorado from California each year, then a couple up to Northern California. The FiT does really good. Granted on route to Colorado it gets kinda tuff on the long up hills. If you let the engine decide what speed to go to maintain the RPM you burn gas to keep up. If you go eco friendly you end up doing 40-50 uphill. Overall however mpg was still in the 36-37mpg range for the whole trip. Thumbs up for road trips in the FiT.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
I know you people out in Kaliforinstan are a little on the weird side, but why are you putting a decimal in your numbers?

There is NO where anyone denotes the number '90' as 9.0.
Reason being, I don't like to incriminate myself on the Internet. A lot of people may think that this is being too careful and paranoid... but recently there were at least two incidents involving big crashes that the MEDIA actually started quoting memebers from message boards/forums that I belonged to.

The news coverage actually crashed the servers of the forum. And at least 7 members were quoted. Also, in the E63 AMG crash in Arizona that involved 3 cars and the life of an ex-politician, the media used HIS posts to show that he regualrly street races, breaks speed limits and even called him a speed demon because he heads to the racetracks evidenced by his Handle on the forums and on Dragtimes.com.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM

I haven't been on a long trip with my Fit yet but I'm looking forward to it. The farthest I've travelled is around 75 miles from home but this summer I'm headin' over to the West Virginia/Ohio border which will be around 650 miles round trip. WOOHOO!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Reason being, I don't like to incriminate myself on the Internet. A lot of people may think that this is being too careful and paranoid... but recently there were at least two incidents involving big crashes that the MEDIA actually started quoting memebers from message boards/forums that I belonged to.

The news coverage actually crashed the servers of the forum. And at least 7 members were quoted. Also, in the E63 AMG crash in Arizona that involved 3 cars and the life of an ex-politician, the media used HIS posts to show that he regualrly street races, breaks speed limits and even called him a speed demon because he heads to the racetracks evidenced by his Handle on the forums and on Dragtimes.com.
for pete's sake, how dumb do you think people are? if you use a convention like 9.0=90 and it's so obvious that you do, why would you think that it provides any "insulation" at all?

it only would result in a possible reference to someone who drives fast AND tries to disguise it by using decimal points.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fendertweed
for pete's sake, how dumb do you think people are? if you use a convention like 9.0=90 and it's so obvious that you do, why would you think that it provides any "insulation" at all?

it only would result in a possible reference to someone who drives fast AND tries to disguise it by using decimal points.
I am not worried about "people," per se. If I was, I wouldn't even post anything, anywhere at all. Go do yourself a favor and do a search on "Mitsubishi Evo car abuse voiding warranty claims." Car manufacturers were voiding warranty claims based on research done on forums on techincalities.

I'm not saying that it will happen here. But better safe than sorry for anything... manufacturers, police, detectives... how do you know what will happen in the future?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
'Haven't done a "long" drive in the Fit yet, but we are/were? planning to drive to Durham NC from Tampa (700 miles) in April. I was excited about the idea until we drove that trip last weekend in my husband's Yaris. OH MY GOD. Eleven hours is WAY to long to sit in a car - any car. I was looking forward to comparing the seat comfort, but I'm not so sure now. My low back bothered me and I fidgeted constantly, but I have a lousy back so I'm not the best person to judge. What kind of mileage did you guys get on your long trips?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member

Great response. "The Internet Never Forgets"

Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Because people are really going to believe he really drove nine miles per hour. Honest. Not 90.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CorrodesTheFilm
Because people are really going to believe he really drove nine miles per hour. Honest. Not 90.
I don't know if you just don't "get it" or just your local aspiring Jerry Seinfeld.

"Believe" is a word that is not used much in contractual agreements, for example. Manufacturers do peruse these forums... and believe me, no one and their cars is as anonomous as one may think.

A very recent news article from a local paper quoting members of the M5board.com, which I belong to as well:
Driver of BMW in fatal crash sought Web advice on making it go faster

I am quite frankly too lazy to to dig up threads for you here. But you can google "E63 AMG Arizona Crash 2007," "BMW crash hollywood california 2007," "Mitsubishi denying warranty claims based on internet car forums," "Arizona Lambo LP460 speeding caught on message boards," etc. All of these cases (and much more) involved internet forums as part of self-incrimination.

I did not get this idea on my own, I just mimic'd others. And believe me, when these "funny" decimal numbers came up, it wasn't to describe double digit speeds, if you get my drift. Our cars are capable of pushing over 200mph in stock form. Trust me, if you ever get into a situation where you have to explain to the judge, DMV, media, police, car manufacturer... that 20.5 technicality is the only shot you got instead of being quoted 205MPH!!

Am I saying that anything I say on FitFreak or anywhere else will ever be used against me? Most likely NOT. But that's how I roll... you do what you do.

But I guess you knew that... so it's just more comedic material for your next gig I guess... peace.

Last edited by V10MPower; 02-15-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: First "long" trip in the fit