General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Wires to engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 AM
bwb
Wires to engine?

Hi,

New forum member and recent fit owner (got it last week). College student.. my fit is a used 2007 white taffeta/beige (46k miles tho), 5AT, base, factory re-certified.

I noticed that there are three wires coming from the upper-right of the engine that it appears the shrink tubing was cut, and some of the insulation is cut exposing copper. It doesn't look like it wore down, but that someone had carelessly cut it. The copper itself is only exposed on one of the wires and is not cut... also nothing close to short on. But, I was wondering what the wires are for... so I can decide if I should take it to the dealer immediately or wait a bit.

I've uploaded a picture... you can see the exposed wire in the upper-right part of the engine (red, green, yellow wires).

Thanks!

P.S. any tips for a new honda fit owner.. it's my first car. I got some of the Target/Rubbermaid floormats, and plan to get touch-up paint and also adjust the headlights a little bit.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
well, that pic showed up too small--can you get a bigger one? Exposed copper wires sound like bad news.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 AM
bwb
Yes. Below is a close-up of the wires. I'm not asking about if copper is bad or not... obviously the wires should be insulated. I'm just curious what the wires control (e.g. tach wouldn't be bad.... throttle would).

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I couldn't be 100% sure. But,my friend leased a 1995 Honda Civic and he unplugged something like that to disable the odometer in the car. I'm not saying that's what it is or if it's even possible with newer cars, but I'd have a mechanic you trust take a look at the car to see what he thinks.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned
At the very least, get some electrician's tape and wrap the exposed wire area. Water could ground the exposed area to a conductive surface and cause a short. If the exposed wire is a ground, there is no problem. Your dealer would be responsible for re-insulating any exposed wires though.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
bwb
Originally Posted by manxman
At the very least, get some electrician's tape and wrap the exposed wire area. Water could ground the exposed area to a conductive surface and cause a short. If the exposed wire is a ground, there is no problem. Your dealer would be responsible for re-insulating any exposed wires though.
Yeah, that was the first thing I was going to do. I'm an EE, though after telling a couple friends here, they thought that would void the warranty. Of course, after researching that online, I see that is certainly not the case. Not sure why they thought some electrical tape voids warranties... and this is an engineering school!

Any idea if they'd likely find some shrink tubing themselves and insulate, or if they would replace the entire harness?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned
I would guess that they would use the cheapest solution possible. Use your multimeter to check for conductivity with the engine running/off/ignition only on/off. If it's a hot wire when the engine is running, I would just insulate it myself and not bother going to the dealer.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Black Tape, Baby!

I would guess that they would use the cheapest solution possible. Use your multimeter to check for conductivity with the engine running/off/ignition only on/off. If it's a hot wire when the engine is running, I would just insulate it myself and not bother going to the dealer.
Manx is right. They will likely do the same thing you would do. Make sure it's clean and dry, then tape each wire up separately, and then tape them together or heat-shrink them.

Congrats on your car! It has to be mostly highway miles, to have so many miles on an '07. I can relate; I got my new Fit last March, and it has over 30,000 miles on it now. I go to the beach a lot!

Best to you.

EDIT: I thought there was more than one wire with copper showing. So, obviously, you don't have to tape each wire separately! Unless you just like taping.

Last edited by Steeldog; 02-08-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 AM
bwb
Front bumper scraping.

Thanks all.

Also, another question: I've scraped the bottom of the front bumper twice in the last week going into driveways... doh... not used to a car this low. And this is not even the lowered sports model. Will take driveways much much slower from now on...

I noticed a patch of paint missing, about 1.5" x 6" on the left underside of the front bumper. It's not visible unless looking underneath. But, I'd like to keep it from rusting. Should I get some touchup paint or wax or something? If paint, should I buy Honda OEM or whatever pepboys, etc.. has? Or would some spray-on wax be sufficient to keep from rusting?

Edit: I'd like to get some touchup paint for chips anyway... but I'd imagine i'd just need a touchup pen for that... and the missing patch of paint would need something a little more substantial. I already have some nanowax spray.

Last edited by bwb; 02-13-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned
Since nobody else jumped in the part with the wires leading to it is your Map sensor, just tape up the wires so the metal parts don't touch anything and you will be fine.

Go into your local dealer and they should have color matched touch up paint or pens to cover your new scratches.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 PM
bwb
Ugh Metro Honda.....

Some updates:

I took the car to the dealer today because of some discrepancies with what the 150-point certification checklist had and what I actually received. Specifically, I never received a completed checklist for my car, no warranty documentation, no radio security code (or serial number). Additionally, the wiper inserts were in bad shape and I noticed they delivered the car with the coolant BELOW the minimum line (maybe about 1 cm left). All of these were part of the certification checklist.

With checklist in hand, I talked with a service rep. at the dealership. They readily got the radio code, had radiator checked for leaks, and ordered wiper inserts. (They filled up the engine coolant maybe a fifth full above the minimum line... is there a run on engine coolant or something???). They also taped up the MAP sensor wires (tho I may retape and zip tie myself).

I also got a copy of the certification checklist for my car, and here is where it gets a little more interesting: The factory tech. listed wiper blades as needing to be replaced. The factory also listed replacing the trunk upholstery. The upholstery was not replaced and had a few half-dollar size tears, which I had sewn myself last night, not knowing it should have been fixed.

The checklist also listed that both disc brakes and rotors needed replacement, full service because of lack of service documentation (and oil change, air filter, etc..). Also, I thought it was a little weird the tech. listed floor mats as needing replacement, though my car did not come with any (I know they are not standard). My guess is the dealership is being negligent with servicing the factory 'certified' cars. The service rep. claimed that all of the service had been done (including the rear upholstery replacement), but obviously at least some hadn't. He said to come in next saturday when the service manager would be back.

So, I plan to meet with the service manager and request proof that all of the servicing requested by the factory has been complete -- and if not, that it must be done again, given the track record with the two items I could see (upholstery and wiper blades).

A question for the list: Does the NA Honda Fit have a timing belt? (The factory tech. did not mark either option for it... 'meets honda standards' or 'needs servicing')

I love the car otherwise... just want to make sure all preventive maintenance has been done to keep it in good shape......

Last edited by bwb; 02-16-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by bwb
Some updates:

I took the car to the dealer today because of some discrepancies with what the 150-point certification checklist had and what I actually received. Specifically, I never received a completed checklist for my car, no warranty documentation, no radio security code (or serial number). Additionally, the wiper inserts were in bad shape and I noticed they delivered the car with the coolant BELOW the minimum line (maybe about 1 cm left). All of these were part of the certification checklist.

With checklist in hand, I talked with a service rep. at the dealership. They readily got the radio code, had radiator checked for leaks, and ordered wiper inserts. (They filled up the engine coolant maybe a fifth full above the minimum line... is there a run on engine coolant or something???). They also taped up the MAP sensor wires (tho I may retape and zip tie myself).

I also got a copy of the certification checklist for my car, and here is where it gets a little more interesting: The factory tech. listed wiper blades as needing to be replaced. The factory also listed replacing the trunk upholstery. The upholstery was not replaced and had a few half-dollar size tears, which I had sewn myself last night, not knowing it should have been fixed.

The checklist also listed that both disc brakes and rotors needed replacement, full service because of lack of service documentation (and oil change, air filter, etc..). Also, I thought it was a little weird the tech. listed floor mats as needing replacement, though my car did not come with any (I know they are not standard). My guess is the dealership is being negligent with servicing the factory 'certified' cars. The service rep. claimed that all of the service had been done (including the rear upholstery replacement), but obviously at least some hadn't. He said to come in next saturday when the service manager would be back.

So, I plan to meet with the service manager and request proof that all of the servicing requested by the factory has been complete -- and if not, that it must be done again, given the track record with the two items I could see (upholstery and wiper blades).

A question for the list: Does the NA Honda Fit have a timing belt? (The factory tech. did not mark either option for it... 'meets honda standards' or 'needs servicing')

I love the car otherwise... just want to make sure all preventive maintenance has been done to keep it in good shape......
Most Japanese cars use a timing belt, which wear enough to need replacement between 50-70K miles. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE dealer repair- the radiator and water pump have to be removed for timing belt replacement. The Fit has a timing chain, (called a cam chain) though. You should have received an owner's manual that lists the service procedures required at different mileage intervals. Look through it to see when timing chain replacement is required (sorry, my owner's manual is outside in the car- too lazy to go look). Timing (cam) chains last MUCH longer than belts.

Also, the dealership cost charges for rotor/pad replacement are unreasonably high- if your paperwork shows that they should have been replaced before delivery to you, absolutely insist on having that done for free.

Last edited by manxman; 02-17-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 AM
bwb
Most Japanese cars use a timing belt, which wear enough to need replacement between 50-70K miles. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE dealer repair- the radiator and water pump have to be removed for timing belt replacement. The Fit has a timing chain, (called a cam chain) though. You should have received an owner's manual that lists the service procedures required at different mileage intervals. Look through it to see when timing chain replacement is required (sorry, my owner's manual is outside in the car- too lazy to go look). Timing (cam) chains last MUCH longer than belts.

Also, the dealership cost charges for rotor/pad replacement are unreasonably high- if your paperwork shows that they should have been replaced before delivery to you, absolutely insist on having that done for free.
Yep... I plan to insist that it is done.

Regarding the service procedures.. I'm unable to find what service should be done for the mileage. All I can find is the Maintenance Minder list. Any idea? Thanks.

Also: Any idea if the coolant should have been filled to full per ? It just kinda irks me that they filled it to right above the 'minimum' line. Of course, that is only a couple bucks, unlike the the servicing, brake rotor/pad replacement, etc...

Last edited by bwb; 02-17-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned
It should be in the Maintenance Minder list, bay way at the end, if it is there at all. American cars/trucks can go more than 100K without needing timing chain replacement.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned
Forgot- minimum line is fine for coolant as long as engine is cold. If filled to "full" when cold, when engine warms completely, coolant will be expelled as excess, and you will see level below min. when engine is cold again. Half-way between min and max is OK too. That's where I keep mine.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:12 AM
bwb
Ahhhh... good to know. Thanks manxman.

Forgot- minimum line is fine for coolant as long as engine is cold. If filled to "full" when cold, when engine warms completely, coolant will be expelled as excess, and you will see level below min. when engine is cold again. Half-way between min and max is OK too. That's where I keep mine.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 AM
bwb
So I was back in at the dealership to get the windshield wipers replaced. I met with the Sales Manager and it actually went very well. We went through their records on what was replaced, and saw that the brake pads were replaced and rotors resurfaced. They did not change the air filter, so they also did that while I was there.

The service manager also saw that the upholstery was marked as replaced, but I claimed it wasn't, and no cost was shown on their itemized list. Therefore, he was going to have it replaced for me, but I asked if (since I sewed it up myself) I could have an accessory or something similar. He readily offered to give me a credit equivalent to carpet replacement costs ($65... seems reasonable for carpet since the entire back piece is about $150).

All in all, I'm actually pretty pleased with the experience. The service manager seemed trustworthy - despite these being really minor repairs, he didn't try to rush through or provide minimal service. I also overheard him mentioning to one of the service representatives that he was going to have to have a long discussion with the used car manager... so nothing from how the service manager was acting suggested he was trying to cut corners.

This is Metro Honda in Montclair, California, btw. I was expecting a lot worse from the reviews at insiderpages.com... unlike the reviews, no one I talked to seemed rude and not once did they try to charge for anything (MAP sensor wire repair, headlight aim, etc...). In retrospect I am less impressed with their sales side, though they weren't too pushy and I got slightly below Edmunds.com TMV (paid $12.6k for the fit).