General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cnet doesn't appear to like the fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Cnet doesn't appear to like the fit

2008 Honda Fit Sport Coupe/Hatchback reviews - CNET Reviews

Apparently, not enough tech!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Retired Moderator
I agree with them when they say the car lacks tech. But all the other "Bad" is kinda stupid.
There will always be haters, hell some testers had more bad then good to say about the R35 GTR, its all personal opinion..

Tyler

Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah Cnet should not be reviewing cars. They simply look at how much tech companies can stuff into a car and then give it a rating. It's like going to a italian restaurant run by a bunch of Chinese people (I can say that because I'm Chinese, HA!). It may be Italian food on the menu, but you can bet it's going to taste nothing like the real thing.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM
hopefully the new i-vtec engine and improved overall chassis will benefit the Fit...

Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I think that they are high. No ipod jack? Mine has one. Crappy emissions for engine size? Isn't it a LEV2? the next highest being ULEV?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
It's like going to a italian restaurant run by a bunch of Chinese people (I can say that because I'm Chinese, HA!).\.
what are you tryin to say? im part italian! im offended! hahahaha jk. didnt italians get the noodle technology from the chinese anyway?

those guys at cnet are dummies anyways. i mean, you ask them to crack any .pwd file and they can do it in their sleep but i bet you give them a wrench and tell them to fix something on a car, and they are like fishes out of water. they should stick to reviewing what they know.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by MarkB
I think that they are high. No ipod jack? Mine has one. Crappy emissions for engine size? Isn't it a LEV2? the next highest being ULEV?
They were talking about ipod integration - ie, being able to controll the ipod with the head unit. And their point on the emissions was that they thought it could be better given the small engine.

Not saying they're right, but there's a little subtlety to what they're saying. I think they were a bit harsh overall, and should've paid more attention to the seats.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
as far as emissions go I think out engine is pushed harder for what it was
initially intended to be so I am not too bummed about the LEV-2 instead of ULEV, ULEV-2 or SULEV.
But then again the S2000 is LEV.....too ahahaaaa

I read a review just before I picked up my fit that said the "yaris was sporty and fun and the Fit was boring and slow" HAAHAAHAHAAAA
but seriously ...

there is also another site that I found just before I picked up my Fit
that did a video review with a couple of @$#% heads with a psuedo
video screen behind them dogging the fit with silly info. and

and another site that was uber low tact and budget where these two
nit wits (boy and girl) drive a Fit and talk @#%$ during the whole drive
and they just sound like the two biggest babies you have ever heard.
x2

Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
LOL. You're suppose to buy a 1.5L engine car to race? And when is a 109hp car suppose to make 7.2 sec? The corrolla is 126hp with about 120 ftlbs, and it still took about 9 sec according to Edmunds. I don't think these guys really know what they're talking about. *BRIBED* *COUGH* Now you know why I was never a fan of Cnet. Or maybe the guy who drove it was fat or something? Who knows...?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
wow r they dumb? like what do the want for 16 grand? the fit is no porsche but hell its bad ass for the money... and bad mileage? r they n drugs? i get 30 when i screw around!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
seriously, how is 33 mpg bad? it's freakin' phenomenal compared to a lot of other cars on the market.

and how about this:

"Similarly, we found its passing acceleration lacking, as we couldn't get much oomph out of it when we were already traveling at 55 mph."

the driver must have forgotten where the gas pedal was or something. in over a year of owning this car i have NEVER had a problem passing on the highway.

idiots.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
cnet-[" but we thought it might be a good autocross car. Unfortunately, and probably for the best, we couldn't find an opportunity to put the Fit through an autocross course while we had it.
So we did the next best performance test we could think of: We took it for zero to 60 mph runs. Editors Kevin Massy and Wayne Cunningham drove the car out to our testing grounds, and on the way discussed how fast they thought the car might make it to 60 mph. Massy assumed the car could make it in 7.2 seconds, while Cunningham gave a more conservative estimate of 8.5 seconds. ]

couldnt find an opportunity?...you have testing grounds! I actually think (more so if you read the article) that they just pegged it on the street.
7.2! 8.5 conservative! WOW! In no way do I believe these guys review cars! 7.2 secs is just about as good as the new 8th gen 197hp MT civic Si!!!!!!!!!!

cnet-[
With the performance computer hooked up, Massy took the first run. He set the five-speed automatic transmission to Sport mode, enabling the wheel-mounted paddle shifters for manual gear selection. On his green light, he stomped the accelerator, keeping it in first gear up close to 7,000rpm. We weren't thrown back into our seats, and the car's front wheels didn't spin out of control. Rather, the car jogged forward, its speedo needle lazily climbing. In second, Massy held the gear until near redline, the car forcing him to shift to third gear about 55 mph. In third he crossed 60 mph, and a look at the performance computer revealed the dismal result: 11.87 seconds. Obviously we had been a little off about this car's potential. ]

So this is just "numbers" for ""numbers" sake as earlier in the article the car had surprised them on its great handling and spritely throttle! But yet the "numbers" made them sad? please....spare me!

uhhhh did I miss something? you held it close to 7000rpm in the auto!?
And yet could only hold 2nd near redline (<6500rpm) when the car
(in S mode it still shifts by itself if near 6500rpm) forced you into 3rd?!?

cnet never seemed to be that great at auto reviews,
and the quotes above are only the tiny first part of thier review!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
wow r they dumb? like what do the want for 16 grand? the fit is no Porsche but hell its bad ass for the money... and bad mileage? r they n drugs? i get 30 when i screw around!

Ya got that right! Luckily I have two I can jump in any time...

The fit is good for the money. Actually it is a little expensive for what you get, but it's a HONDA, and you KNOW it's going to LAST FOREVER.

I'd like it if it had the stereo controls on the wheel, iPod integration (even tho I don't have one... I do have an iPhone, tho) and BlueTooth... But heck, for a decent unit, I can rig up something myself that will do it all. In fact, I'm already tentatively thinking about doing a CarPuter in the Fit. Probably use a retracting 7" touchscreen with a CD player built into that. mount the computer itself in the glovebox.

Anyway, yeah, not really intelligent that reviewers think THE lowest end car should have all the tech gizmos.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Their video review of the 2007 Fit was pretty positive.

2007 Honda Fit Coupe/Hatchback reviews - CNET Reviews (via NYTimes)

I saw a whole bunch of video reviews before I decided on the Fit, all were pretty positive saying it's a great car for it's class and price.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
"We noted that our car had paddle shifters for manual gear selection.... they are mounted on the steering wheel, making them useless when you turn the wheel"

Yea it can be hard to hit the paddles on 90 degree turns but just fine any other time, if they where on the column they would be impossible to hit when making any kind of turn.

"We weren't all that impressed with the transmission. It only has five speeds"

What where they expecting a 6 speed?

I dint read the whole article but from the little I did read it seems like they where expecting some kind of High performance sports car that was very roomy and got Hybrid gas mileage.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 AM
cnet are a bunch of geeks and geeks love yaris

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
What a joke. The fact that they thought a 109hp/105lb-ft car could hit 7.2 sec to 60mph automatically disqualifies ALL their car reviews. That's just plan stupid. It's also funny that they are disappointed a $16k car with an automatic has "only" 5 gears. And I'm not sure what they mean about the car crawling about 35mph, I'm not sure what they were expecting but I would certainly not characterize it as crawling. There's plenty of power through 2nd and 3rd gear. I do agree that the stereo is weak and the non-standard form factor is obnoxious.

Last edited by coupdetat; 02-08-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Geeks need to stay with what they do best...reviewing motherboards and chipsets

And this is coming from a Computer Science major college student/auto X-er and one day NASA member

Old 02-08-2008, 01:48 AM
ya know the more i think about it (and I already thought they were nutz
just look at my previous post) The Fit has friggen paddle shifters!!!
If that is not "tech" enough for this class....then I have no clue what ever would be......
SO THERE! hahaahaa

Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think even consumer reports have better understanding about cars than those
little gadget geeks over at cnet.

Quick Reply: Cnet doesn't appear to like the fit