General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

OEM Honda armrest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Armrest is in!

Armrest delivered today and installed this evening. Good quality and easy (mostly) to install... Console and door armrests feel like they are at the same height.

For the plastic cover under the e-brake handle, you can actually reach a finger underneath and release the two rear clips and then pry slightly to release the front two.

Now, for the accessory socket... The video has you pry out the plastic casing from the console, then remove the metal socket. I could not get it to come out this way (was afraid I was about to break it). In the pdf instructions, it has you carefully pry out the metal socket from the casing first, THEN remove the plastic casing from the console. This was very easy but take your time and be careful prying on that metal lip. It doesn't seem to bend easily and I didn't have any trouble doing it. The funny thing is, if you remove the metal socket first, there is no need to remove the plastic casing since you receive a new one with the console.

Other than that, installation was a snap and I'm very happy with it!

So what is everyone going to do with their original consoles?
Keep? eBay? Wall mount?

Ken

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TOOL
Cool.
How long did it take to install?

Tyler
20-30min? It was getting dark too.

Originally Posted by kgraham11
Armrest delivered today and installed this evening. Good quality and easy (mostly) to install... Console and door armrests feel like they are at the same height.
If you get down at eye level they actually arent. The console is a tad lower. Maybe 1-2in.
Im going to do some driving. See if I likes it.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
If you get down at eye level they actually arent. The console is a tad lower. Maybe 1-2in.
Im going to do some driving. See if I likes it.
Just took my test drive and all is good.

Mx6 is right, the armrest is an inch or two lower... By design? I looked at my wife's 07 Civic and the armrest is a couple of inches lower than the door armrest. Plus, if it was any higher, I think it would be uncomfortable, for me anyway. The sliding armrest is nice, too...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Never got my tracking number from stupid DHL.... got a missed delivery notice and i checked the tracking saying i missed it by 20min.... Oh yea, its not suppose to be coming to my house either! I clearly had a different shipping address... Hopefully they will come while im home tomorrow...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, Special. I guess you could look on the bright side that they are being careful. DHL here just left the box leaning against my front door. Don't know how long it had been there when I got home.

It'll be worth the wait...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Finished my drive also.... At first it was a little uncomfortable. Just not having an armrest and then it showing up.
I like the armrest fully extended. I dont like the feeling of my elbow on the end plastic but its best so far. My wrist doesnt hang off the end as much.

Shifting for me is still fine with the armrest even in its full extension.
I thought Id have more road noise but I didnt notice any. The JDM console does not have any sound deadening material like the OEM one did. I didnt notice a difference in road noise though?

I like it. I think it could be a little lower. Im comparing it with my shiftknob height. Since I have a Mugen SS having it lower would be best for me. (and others with a SS) Stock shifter height I bet feels fine.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
There was a big box sitting on the porch when I got home this evening too. Haven't even opened it yet, I'm just beat from work today. Probably won't get to install it till the weekend.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Yep when i got home it was just sitting on my front porch. Now I just need a fit and I'm good.

I'm going to have the dealer put it in when I buy the car. How much would you think they would charge?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgraham11
So what is everyone going to do with their original consoles?
Keep? eBay? Wall mount?
haha. my condo's store room has all the stock stuff i swapped out---the orig oem armrest, orig axle-back muffler, and stock rims/tires (still inflated). hoping to add the orig header & b-pipe to the store room clutter soon.

Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I like it. I think it could be a little lower. Im comparing it with my shiftknob height. Since I have a Mugen SS having it lower would be best for me. (and others with a SS) Stock shifter height I bet feels fine.
shifting felt a little awkward w/ the stock shift knob. id occassionally knock the armrest. so decided to try an extended/taller razo leather shift knob. with the taller shift knob, i can extend the pad, rest my arm on the pad, & my hand is right there on the shifter. feels good for daily driving.

i dont have a mugen ss, but its on my wish list. saw a tad taller momo leather shift knob...was thinking of getting that one w/ the mugen ss. man, the mods never stop.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Fit arm rest options

I know this is not as nice but I'm thinking it may server the basic purpose. Also is way less. at $100 to your USA door

What do you think?

eBay Motors: 2007 08 HONDA FIT JAZZ FOLDING ARM REST ARMREST CONSOLE (item 140207500275 end time Feb-21-08 07:09:02 PST)

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I know this is not as nice but I'm thinking it may server the basic purpose. Also is way less. at $100 to your USA door

What do you think?

eBay Motors: 2007 08 HONDA FIT JAZZ FOLDING ARM REST ARMREST CONSOLE (item 140207500275 end time Feb-21-08 07:09:02 PST)
Crap!
Just save up for the real thing. That thing is ugly and probaly made like sh*t like all the other ebay junk. The real deal is so much better. Its worth the money and time to save up.

Tyler

Old 02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
tin
5 Year Member

What do you think?

Errrr! I purchased a non-folding arm rest from Zeta last month (delivered today because it was on back order), and now what do I find? It appears they are also selling the SAME arm rest on ebay for $30 less! The website still has it at their normal price. I feel a bit betrayed. I PMed Angelo, I haven't even opened the box yet but I don't want it anymore if I'm over paying by $30.

Thanks for the link BTW, else I wouldn't have known.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Crap!
Just save up for the real thing. That thing is ugly and probaly made like sh*t like all the other ebay junk. The real deal is so much better. Its worth the money and time to save up.

Tyler
+1. That ess is garbage.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
I got mine from Genuine Honda Accessories, News, and Information from College Hills Honda already.
My son and I installed it yesterday.
My right arm is now well rested.

Be sure to watch the video on their website before installing
. Be careful removing the e-brake cover.
I ended up snapping mine.

EDIT:
Replacing the accessory power socket was also kind of a PITA.

I've looked thru their podcasts and can't find the install video, I'm sure I can do it from the PDF install instructions but would like to see the vid. Anyone have a direct link?

EDIT: Never Mind! Sometimes I just forget the power of google, if you use the right search terms you will be satisfied!

Last edited by J_L; 02-16-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
My wife and I just installed the armrest and floor mats! It took a little more than 30 minutes for the armrest only because of the #$@! accessory socket. There's just no easy way to remove it. It's like you need a little mini-spreader bar that fits inside and pushes the two clips out. I was about to get out my cut-off wheel! My wife worked the e-brake cover cause I probably would have mauled it up. She did a great job getting it out. Took her about 10 minutes. Just be careful and it won't be an issue. Anyway, it fits perfectly and is super comfortable. I drove around a bit concerned I might hear the rattle of the cup holder insert, but nothing so far. I was also concerned getting the seatbelt on might be a hassle, but no worries there either.

The floormats were stupid easy. I didn't do the back ones because after looking at the install, I didn't think I wanted to deal with all that. So just layed them in there.

So, now the car feels right to me.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM

What do you think?

I looked at that one, but also deemed it ugly. Instead I got this one and am super happy with it.

eBay Motors: HONDA FIT JAZZ Armrest Console Accoudoir Apoyabrazos (item 360016016737 end time Feb-20-08 13:48:11 PST)

No provision for cd's, but that's ok, I got it to be an armrest. It's very nice because it is longer than most of them. My arm is fully supported by it, not just half my forearm.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM
J_L
5 Year Member
x2 on being careful with the ebrake cover. I used a small flatblade driver and still snapped the cover right in two I wasn't able to save the front snaps either. I have alot of experience with dissambling things like this, so it was pretty frustrating. I think the front snap pieces are designed as one use items since there is no provision to slide the center piece out. Usually there is a small indent to reach under and pull out the center on reuseables. The power socket popped right out for me so it seems everyones experience is different on this mod.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xk319
I looked at that one, but also deemed it ugly. Instead I got this one and am super happy with it.

eBay Motors: HONDA FIT JAZZ Armrest Console Accoudoir Apoyabrazos (item 360016016737 end time Feb-20-08 13:48:11 PST)

No provision for cd's, but that's ok, I got it to be an armrest. It's very nice because it is longer than most of them. My arm is fully supported by it, not just half my forearm.
I was wondering how sturdy that one is. Can you say if you used it with the door rest to lift out of you seat it could take it? How would you rate the quality on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as it lasting and looking like it's OEM?
thanks

Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I was wondering how sturdy that one is. Can you say if you used it with the door rest to lift out of you seat it could take it? How would you rate the quality on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as it lasting and looking like it's OEM?
thanks
When I grab the armrest and move it back and forth there is no play whatsoever.

When I lean on it heavily, like supporting all my weight (200+ lbs) to get out (which I never do with any armrest, I use the stearing wheel if needed) I would say it dips roughly half an inch at most at the front. This is the middle console as a whole bending under the pressure though really (I'm saying this as a good point), not just the armrest or anything. In other words, this is not something being "loose" or having improper fit. It would be like me pulling on the seat or something. Do it hard enough and something is gonna budge a few centimeters.

I think it's an 8.5 out of 10 on looking OEM. By that I mean just like a grade in school. 85%. It's good, a B grade. 9 or 10 out of 10 would basically be perfect and you can't tell the difference. No one, and I mean no one other than some FIT FREAK would ever think it's an aftermarket part.

I think it's a 10 out of 10 as far as lasting. There is no reason it should break or become loose with normal use. It is secured with 4 large thread screws at the base. 4 screws should last indefinitely.

The lid has NO latch. It's is kept closed via leverage/spring type deal. When you first install it, if you go to lift the lid the entire armrest comes up. But the second you add ANY weight to the inside with your knick knacks the lid raises and the rest of the armrest stays put. I haven't had a need to raise the whole thing, nor do I anticipate a reason. But it can be.

Oh, and no space for cd's. Bummer but that is ok with me. The length of the armrest outweighs the ability to store cd's which the other shorter armrest on eBay seems to be able to do.

Last edited by xk319; 02-16-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
xk319,
Thanks for the feedback and pics.
It looks great, all except that rear cup holder. That looks very shallow like a can drink would call out pretty easy in a moving car. Maybe it's just the picture.

Quick Reply: OEM Honda armrest.