General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Racks or Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Racks or Hitch?

I recently purchased a 2008 Fit Sport and I need some guidance concerning how to best transport my bicycle. I previously had a car with factory racks and it was not an issue. With the Fit I don't know which would be best, the roof rack or the hitch & rack combo on the back? I am assuming that roof racks will cut down on my great gas mileage and with a hitch installation there maybe a ground clearance problem. From my research I have determined that the least expensive would be the hitch & rack combo, but I am use to the roof rack system. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
I have a hitch/rack combo. I have never had a issue with clearance. The hitch doesn't sit much lower than the skid plate that is already back there.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Hitch racks can be REALLY annoying. If you don't get a nice tight fit, the entire thing will rock back and forth, and clunk around alot. It's also annoying from the perspective of getting into the hatch.

I'm not sure that a hitch rack wouldn't also damage your fuel economy as well. Probably need a wind-tunnel to find out for certain.

Would you be able to just throw your bike in the bike, like the brochure shows?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
someone recently on here did a custom bike rack for inside the car...
it didin't look complicated at all! If you need it while transporting a bunch of ppl then maybe not so much. But if I remember correctly one
of the rear seats could still be utilized(so still room for three including driver). It was quite clever actually.
Try a search for it, if I find it soon I will just give you the link.
idunno if you would be interested but its worth a shot yes/no?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
id prefer a nice rack...

i think a hitch looks funny in use and not in use,
racks i think always just made the car look so cool

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought about that (referring to the picture concept), so I measured. My bike (road/track bike) is almost as long as the car is wide, even taking the front wheel off. And being kind of a nerd, I didn't want to scratch anything in the interior. But thanks for the reply! I have also tried laying it out in the back with both seat backs down, it works but what a pain and very awkward. I had also seen the "interior" rack system that was created, great idea. I tried something similar but ended up laying the bike in flat on the floor with the front wheel off. I am hoping to keep the interior in its normal configuration. I try to ride 2-3 days a week in the winter and 3-4 days in the summer. I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

Last edited by Fixedgear; 01-30-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Inside bike rack

Here's the rack I built...

Simple 2x4, painted black, with a fork block mounted on it. 2x4 snugs into the back of the cargo area very nice if you cut it wide enough and won't slide forward. As you can see, I can seat three still but this is my setup for going alone. If I take someone else, they'll probably have a bike, too... So, I think I'm going to a roof rack setup for that. But this works for me right now.

Ken