General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Can't decide between SSM & NHBP

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Can't decide between SSM & NHBP

So what color would you guys recommend? I know it all comes down to preferences but I'm wondering about things like:
- which color is harder to maintain? if so, is it manageable? how often must I wash and baby it
- paint peeling?
- I don't like colors that stand out like blue, red, orange, so my choice is just between black and silver. But of the two, which color is less common...
- any other color suggestions?
- As I get used to the ride, I'm sure I'll be adding some stuff to it, although I have zero experience in modding cars... I will follow some DIY guide here and there and learn i guess hehe... So my question is, for which color is third parts more common, widely available?
- What color fit do you own or want to own? Explain your reasoning

I think that pretty much covers everything.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
go with black. just because i think you will have more rim choices. but i love the ssm.

idk....i think i would go black.

i kinda wish i either got a white or a black fit at the time. im living in regrets now.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
silver & black are both the most common colors.
i would go silver. i just think black is harder to keep clean.
but id pick white if i had a choice, but too bad whites not available anymore

Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM
We just got SSM for this very reason. If the car stays outside most of the time or you live in an area with lots of rain or snow, SSM will be much easier to keep clean. SSM will hide unbuffed wax, some dirt, and the occasional scratch without too much trouble. NHBP looks awesome when its showroom clean, but its hard to keep it that way unless you keep in in your garage all the time and don't go out much.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by live2express
So what color would you guys recommend? I know it all comes down to preferences but I'm wondering about things like:
- which color is harder to maintain? if so, is it manageable? how often must I wash and baby it
- paint peeling?
- I don't like colors that stand out like blue, red, orange, so my choice is just between black and silver. But of the two, which color is less common...
- any other color suggestions?
- As I get used to the ride, I'm sure I'll be adding some stuff to it, although I have zero experience in modding cars... I will follow some DIY guide here and there and learn i guess hehe... So my question is, for which color is third parts more common, widely available?
- What color fit do you own or want to own? Explain your reasoning

I think that pretty much covers everything.
1. Black is harder to keep clean for sure. You can see dusts from a mile away, but ofcourse its manageable. Just wash it like once a week, with a wax once a month or so.

2. From what i've seen NHBP is by far the less common color of the two. ssm is everywhere!

3. I would say white, since thats a pretty neutral color but if you're looking for a new car then nvm.

4. Color shouldnt matter if you're referring to body kits and stuff cause either way you're still going to have to paint it.

5. I have a Blaze Orange Metallic Fit, why? Cause i thought it was a unique color and because it was the only Fit in the state of washington at the time.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I have a black. I think its less common.

My first fit was a black, and the second one is too. But the second time around, I had a choice between black and silver. I chose black because I always see more silver around. I think I have only seen one other black fit.

Yes, the black is tough to take care of. You'll need to wash it a good amount. If I wasn't in school and always studying, I would wash mine weekly. However, even when I dont wash mine, it still looks good, unless you get really close to it.

Plus, if you detail it nicely and wax it up, the little blue metallics that are in there make the paint really unique.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
teh sexXxorz

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-28-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Black is most masculine color and my opinion nicest but HARDEST TO MAINTAIN CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!
i would still go for black
lol

Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Retired Moderator
NHBP. Its hard to keep clean but when it is clean it looks great! SSM is a bit boring IMO(no offense to anyone who has it).

Tyler

Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
im not gonna lie. ANY color is hard to keep clean.

i mean red...i can see dust all the time, i try to wash my car 2 times a week, i cant drive around in a dirty car.

your gonna have to detail your car anyways...you might as well get the sexier color while your at it.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Mine's black and I can't keep up with the washing anymore. Wishing I had silver sometimes. Silver was my first choice but I couldn't find one for MSRP.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
because I like to be overly redundant-

NBP-a bit sexier, a bit more rare than SSM (around here its the color I see the least next to MR), harder to keep clean, can look like a fresnel lens if
the dealer washes it (BASTARDS!!! ), looks a bit smaller in NBP, the blue flakes really are nice when its uber clean (more unique), looks a bit more
upscale. ALL IMH(of most H)O.

SSM-well...uhhh...maybe looks sportier? You can contrast it with black
headlamp housings...

ummm... I have NBP, so you should get SSM! hahaaa

Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
ssm is the brand color for the honda fit

Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your helpful posts! Like most of you said, silver seems to more popular color. Over here in San Diego, I've probably seen only one black fit. Anyways, this is good stuff! I'm leaning towards black a little since my parents own Honda CR-V that's in silver and a Honda Odyssey in dark gun-metal grey color (I luv this color), so it'll be like a gradient from silver to black. I don't plan to buy until this summer so plenty of time to decide. How's the fitfreak community's fit color demographic look like? (I think silver is the most here too right since SSM's thread is the biggest?) If fitfreak is in need of black, I'll lean stronger toward black haha... Right now, it's like 60% Black, 40% Silver. It was 50/50 before but learning from this thread, it seems like black is more interesting with its blue metallic flakes that unsurface when the car's clean and how black makes the car look smaller. Since black absorbs all like, does this make the car hotter inside? Does it make the paint get old faster? If so, is it significant enough to care or so minuscule that it's nothing to worry about. I've always wondered about this. Thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
going by that method, nbp only has 8 pages last posted on 1/24; and ssm has 12 last post today.

oh and as far as your concern about the car absorbing more light, that's why i got 5% tint complete w/sunstrip and mugen ventilation visors. BAM! problem solved. that way i also save gas since the a/c never needs to be on. BOOM! money in your pocket. trust me, it works. i know, i used to live in vegas.

black hondas have always been notorious for paint damage/fade/wear/peeling. i know it was that way in the early 90s with my crx and accord. it's entirely possible they've since fixed the issue. i'm on my third regardless, just take percautionary measure like you would to make sure any investment retains it's value as much as possible.

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-28-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM
yeah black cars get hotter (atleast in my last 4 experiences)
but you wanna be hot right? errr... have a hot car right? hahaaa

yeah black (atleast on the hondas I know of) in general didnt hold up that long...(but I dont take great care of the paint either) actaully on older
hondas the white paint was so thin you could see holidays pretty quickly
and idunno but I wanted a vacation from all the dark holidays on my old
civic.

yeah it will probably fade quicker....but....longevity is for people who
dont like change!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
To the OP:

At the end of the day, you're going to have to live with your choice and I don't think that there are any terrible choices with the Fit. Certainly either one of the colors you're considering have the potential to look good. Ask a dealership to show you both and go with your gut feeling.

Personally, the moment I saw the SSM, I knew that was the right color for me. I love that gunmetal look. In the sunlight, it looks more silver, at night, it looks more gunmetal and its hiding dirt aweful well. (Slush and blizzard conditions over the last 3 days).

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
have you considered the blackberry pearl at all? it's still extremely dark, pretty much black except for in certain lights.

i think fitfreak needs more of those personally

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
have you considered the blackberry pearl at all? it's still extremely dark, pretty much black except for in certain lights.

i think fitfreak needs more of those personally
and if u want a rare color....thats about has rare as it gets.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
in my case:
silver reminds me of my sisters beat up chevy cavalier....
black reminds me of my sweet ass fit

wash your car and take care of it regardless of color, and it wont matter what color it is

Quick Reply: Can't decide between SSM & NHBP