General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Oil Change - Easiest Ever!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.FIsTer
The maintenance minder has no way of measuring the viscosity of the oil...it just guesses when it is time for an oil change, if you dont believe me then next time your oil life has expired reset it without changing the oil...it will magically be 100% again, if it truely worked then it would not be able to reset with the old oil still in the motor.
who said the maintenance minder measures the viscosity of the motor oil? if you watch the video that smartsizer linked or read your user manual, it says that it calculates the oil change interval based on engine operating conditions and the number of revolutions of the motor. (or something like that, the info is out there). anyway, the maintenance minder is not guessing.

being able to reset the oil life without replacing the oil has nothing to do with the ability of the maintenance minder to estimate the proper oil change interval. it's just letting you "wind back the clock" so to speak. to let the maintenance minder start again as if you had just put in new oil. when you get a check engine light and you clear the code without fixing the problem, the check engine light disappears. but i assure you, the check engine light truly works and is not just guessing when you have a problem even though you can reset it without fixing whatever the problem is.

Last edited by doctordoom; 01-29-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
i have to get my oil change done soon. mine is at 15% now

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM

I took my Fit in a couple weeks ago for an oil change and tire rotation because I've had the car seven months. My oil life gauge read 40%. The service technician told me to wait until it got down to around 15% before I had the oil changed and tires rotated. At this rate I'll be getting an oil change about once a year. Amazing ... absolutely amazing!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
yea man its a honda everything is easy

Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
i have like 3-6 free oil changes =)

Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I've tracked used oil analysis on several cars (incl. a Honda) for the past 15 years.

There is absolutely no reason to change your oil every 3,000 or less if you use a synthetic or a high quality dino oil (unless you're in severely dusty conditions).

Mobil 1 (it's "Mobil" not "Mobile", that's a city in Alabama) after 7,500 miles tested consistently as new. After 10,000 it was still so close to new that it could go on.

So... for synth oil, changing once a year or every 10k is fine unless you have to do it more often to maintain your warranty.

In which case you may question whether a good dino oil is sufficient. I know of folks running quality dino oil and changing every to 5,000 miles/6 months who are up well over 100,000 and 200,000 miles.

5,000 miles/6 months should be fine on any quality dino oil.

(Too) early oil changes are not economically or environmentally sound.

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited by fendertweed; 02-14-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Was curious if anyone follows the Honda maintenance minder - and DOES NOT CHANGE their oil filter at the first change? (I change mine)

Does the dealer change the oil filter when the minder doesn't say that it is needed? (A1 code is just oil and rotate tires)

I guess I'm as bad as the folks I'm knocking for using the old 3000 mile rule of thumb for oil - because I just have it burned into me to change the filter every time I change the oil - and don't think I can bring myself to not do it.

A couple of Mobil-1 Extended Performance things I thought important to put out:

Max interval between changes: 1 year (regardless of mileage)

Max Unopened container shelf-life: 5 years

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SmartSizer
Was curious if anyone follows the Honda maintenance minder - and DOES NOT CHANGE their oil filter at the first change? (I change mine)

Does the dealer change the oil filter when the minder doesn't say that it is needed? (A1 code is just oil and rotate tires)

I guess I'm as bad as the folks I'm knocking for using the old 3000 mile rule of thumb for oil - because I just have it burned into me to change the filter every time I change the oil - and don't think I can bring myself to not do it.
I follow the MMs recommended intervals, except I change the filter every time (the MM says every other time). As cheap as filters are I just do it.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
I have 38K miles on my car and I've always followed the maintenance reminder. I have no problems and I don't expect any either. I'm no Honda engineer so whatever doubt i have about the car, carries little to no weight. I think they made the car to be easy to maintain with less responsibility of the owner. But less doesn't mean no responsibility. It's up to the owner to change the oil when it is indicated.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
more om oil change

I've read and researched a LOT about changing the oil on Hondas.

First of all, the factory "break-in" oil that the car comes with new, is the most important oil that the car comes with. It has been carefully designed to help the engine properly seat and seal, and is meant to be changed at the Fit's oil change notice.
Please post the link to that detail.

re/ correct frequency.
Oil testing like at Blackstone labs, is the best way to gauge when it's time.

I find it interesting that Honda, in there book that came with mine, does not even acknowledge the fact that by running a quality synthetic (POA) oil you can extent the change interval. I suspect that is because the want you to use the oil minder and it's algorithm is not that smart.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
just hit around 7100 and the MM went to 15%, took it to the acura dealership bc its closer than the dealer i got my car at...
i asked about the oil and they said the always use 5w20
(i wonder what they put in there?)
and...
it was soo funny, b4 they took the car into the service area (it was still in the little drive thru area) the people were all over the car, i felt like a salesperson showing them the magic seats and stuff ... plus since i had the megan exhaust the "older" lady was sitting in it and revving it up... like 4 people came running over to see what was making all that noise.. !!i bet they felt pretty stupid when they saw they ran over to see a fit!

(they also did a really goooood job cleaning it up and stuff after, they hand washed it and dried it off for like 15 minutes all over even inside the hatch)
[i was spying on it through the little window- i was having withdrawal and needed to see how my fit was doing under the knife for the first time

Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by billmus86
[i was spying on it through the little window- i was having withdrawal and needed to see how my fit was doing under the knife for the first time
I know the feeling, dropped mine off for the 1st A-1 maintenance reminder (at ~5200 miles), and I am throwing fits about not having my Fit for the day. So far I have resisted the impulse to call them. I took it in with 15% left on the MM, but think a little early is probably a good idea. The car is in a very dusty environment about 10 to 12 hours a day, and being the first time I had driven stick for about 2 years, I ground a few gears during the first 100 miles or so. It made me flinch every time I did it.

Anyone have any suggestions about how often to change the oil filter, when taking into consideration I work at a concrete plant? I am thinking I should do it a bit more frequently than the MM indicates, but would like some input on it... rough idea on the dust factor, for a 1/4 mile radius around my plant the trees aren't green, they are a kinda of whitish/grayish green, even in spring.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
The location of the oil filter on the Element sucks. I hate changing oil in the E. Hopefully it will be more pleasant with the Fit. I've been using Castrol Syntec and an A01 filter every 5500 to 7500 miles in the E. We have to drive on dirt roads so 10k changes aren't a reality here. And if you are not changing the filter at every oil change you might as well just pour the new oil on the ground. I'm a millwright and I have to do maintenance on machines worth more than I'll make in a lifetime. They get the best fluids money can buy and they always get new filters, regardless of the oil quality when removed. So pop for the extra three dollars and change the filter every time the oil is changed.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Please post the link to that detail.

re/ correct frequency.
Oil testing like at Blackstone labs, is the best way to gauge when it's time.

I find it interesting that Honda, in there book that came with mine, does not even acknowledge the fact that by running a quality synthetic (POA) oil you can extent the change interval. I suspect that is because the want you to use the oil minder and it's algorithm is not that smart.
Well - I've spent a little time trying to find what convinced me enough to make the statement that you quoted - and I can't find anywhere that Honda themselves say that. "Bob is the Oil Guy" site I think where I read something about it before - but I don't have an account there - and can't search the forums without one.

I'm prepared to admit that the "factory fill" oil might be a myth. I found where someone offered that when Honda tech's rebuild an engine - they use regular Honda Oil - and that you can't find "factory fill" or "break-in" oil for sale anywhere. On the other hand, I know I've seen posts from folks reporting Blackstone Labs results on the factory fill oil, and it was high in "moly", compared to normal oil.

I guess I've learned two things from this post..

1) "Factory Fill" break-in oil might be a myth - I can't find "proof" from Honda

2) I can't knock those persons changing their oil before the Maintenance Minder tells them to - because I change my Oil Filter everytime I chnage my oil - which is NOT what the MM tells you to do.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Found this:

SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119

(Can't actually link the paper - but you should be able to Google it - and get the drift of what it says)

It's basically a report that automakers referenced when extending oil change intervals.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Smile

Well - I've spent a little time trying to find what convinced me enough to make the statement that you quoted - and I can't find anywhere that Honda themselves say that. "Bob is the Oil Guy" site I think where I read something about it before - but I don't have an account there - and can't search the forums without one.

I'm prepared to admit that the "factory fill" oil might be a myth. I found where someone offered that when Honda tech's rebuild an engine - they use regular Honda Oil - and that you can't find "factory fill" or "break-in" oil for sale anywhere. On the other hand, I know I've seen posts from folks reporting Blackstone Labs results on the factory fill oil, and it was high in "moly", compared to normal oil.

I guess I've learned two things from this post..

1) "Factory Fill" break-in oil might be a myth - I can't find "proof" from Honda

2) I can't knock those persons changing their oil before the Maintenance Minder tells them to - because I change my Oil Filter everytime I chnage my oil - which is NOT what the MM tells you to do.
IMAO the MM is a great feature on the car.
I myself though change my oil as often as possible.....usually around 2,800 mile mark. In addition I have upgraded the oil to Mobil 1 Syntec through my local dealer.
My car usually takes a beaten being on the road as a sales car and I live in a desert area plus I have a heavy foot...I guess this is my justification for changing my oil as often as I do!!
By the way my Fit purrs like a kitten...lol

tonyd3773 (video guru)

Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by fendertweed
I've tracked used oil analysis on several cars (incl. a Honda) for the past 15 years.

There is absolutely no reason to change your oil every 3,000 or less if you use a synthetic or a high quality dino oil (unless you're in severely dusty conditions).

Mobil 1 (it's "Mobil" not "Mobile", that's a city in Alabama) after 7,500 miles tested consistently as new. After 10,000 it was still so close to new that it could go on.

So... for synth oil, changing once a year or every 10k is fine unless you have to do it more often to maintain your warranty.

In which case you may question whether a good dino oil is sufficient. I know of folks running quality dino oil and changing every to 5,000 miles/6 months who are up well over 100,000 and 200,000 miles.

5,000 miles/6 months should be fine on any quality dino oil.

(Too) early oil changes are not economically or environmentally sound.

Cheers,
Jon
Hey Jon,
I am not saying you do not know anything about oil but your whole statement sounds like something a spokes person would say at a press conference for GREEN EARTH...lol.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by wow
The honda maintenence minder is set to go off every 5000 miles,(trust me, I have over 18,000 miles on my fit.), so it doesn't really gauge how used your oil really is. It really depends on how you drive your car and what kind of traffic you're sitting in. I do a ton of stop and go, so I change my oil more than frequently. Sure, Honda tells you to change it at a certain interval for a reason, and yes, technology has come very far, but just remember this... If your car dies, Honda wants to sell a new car. Now I'm not saying Honda has bad cars, I'm just saying trust the way your car feels. A car driving on dirty oil just feels terrible. Just imagine what the inside looks like. A huge benefit of changing your oil frequently would be the prevention of gunk buildup in your engine. Honda has great, super reliable cars, but an ounce of prevention will keep your wallet in your back pocket. And the price of oil isn't that outrageous. I change my oil literally every 1000 miles. My first change was at 3000, but that's me breaking in the engine. Call me crazy, but I'm going to rack up 300,000 miles with no problems.
You are doing MORE damage changing your car's oil more often. First off, just cranking the engine after a drainage can cause some damage due to the fact that pressure is low and alot of the oil has drained away.

Secondly, it's a complete utter waste of money and more importantly, resources.

People need to seriously get this frequent oil change farse out of their heads. You can EASILY...EASILY go 10K on synthetic oil and you will not have any problems at all. If your car has issues to begin with, then changing the oil or not will not be the problem. But on a brand new car, changing oil any less than 10K with synthetic is a complete waste of money and resources.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Climatologist
You are doing MORE damage changing your car's oil more often. First off, just cranking the engine after a drainage can cause some damage due to the fact that pressure is low and alot of the oil has drained away.

Secondly, it's a complete utter waste of money and more importantly, resources.

People need to seriously get this frequent oil change farse out of their heads. You can EASILY...EASILY go 10K on synthetic oil and you will not have any problems at all. If your car has issues to begin with, then changing the oil or not will not be the problem. But on a brand new car, changing oil any less than 10K with synthetic is a complete waste of money and resources.
WOW....10K....that's not right!!! Change your oil. To be honest if money wasn't an issue....people would be getting there oil changed more often....that's ALL it boils down too.

tonyd3773

Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
WOW....10K....that's not right!!! Change your oil. To be honest if money wasn't an issue....people would be getting there oil changed more often....that's ALL it boils down too.

tonyd3773
So what do you base it on that "it's not right"? Hordes of tests and analyses done that shows otherwise? It's a complete, utter myth that you need to change your oil every 3-5K...the oil companies and dealers and oil change centers just LOVE you guys.

Keep wastin!

Quick Reply: Fit Oil Change - Easiest Ever!!!