General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Sport auto vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Sport auto vs manual

If this is covered elsewhere... please link me

Wondering if the auto is that much slower (or slower FEELING) then the stick. Also wondering about the MPG differences.

I was leaning toward a stick... but the rest of the family don't drive sticks (good and bad I suppose!).

Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran
If this is covered elsewhere... please link me

Wondering if the auto is that much slower (or slower FEELING) then the stick. Also wondering about the MPG differences.

I was leaning toward a stick... but the rest of the family don't drive sticks (good and bad I suppose!).
stick ftw. better they learn. more control. better feel. takes focus away from eating/cell phone/stereo/make up and causes them to pay more attention and concentrate what they do. don't baby them. gotta man up eventually!

Last edited by los_creeper; 01-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Baby my wife? I get the point... but doesn't quite answer my question

Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Baby my wife? I get the point... but doesn't quite answer my question
LOL! my bad... . you know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. better for you to stick with the auto in your situation then. plus you can still have fun when you drive it with the paddle shifters. i almost wanted to get one fore like a second but i think the main reason why i love sticks ain't the stick, it's the clutch.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Retired Moderator
Old 01-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I drove both yesterday. The stick is a very nice shifting car. Very slick gearbox. The auto was nice as well. Different but good. It is NOT a slug as so many small displacement auto tranny cars can be. The final drive ratios are different (4.290 in MT vs 4.560 in AT) and the top gear ratios are different too (0.757 MT vs 0.550 AT). When I drove both cars at 70 mph the MT was turning about 3600 RPM vs the AT about 2800 RPM. I don't see how a car running the lower RPMs can't help but get better mpg. The two are rated nearly the same (28/34 vs 27/33). Not to mention the lower RPM is way less buzzy/loud at speed.

I have read and heard about the AT "hunting" for the correct gear when encountering hills etc. The sport mode and paddle shifters would cure that problem I would think.

I am 6'3" and my size 13s don't fit well on the pedals for shifting, heel & toe etc. LOL But, that ain't what I'm looking for in a car like this. The AT car was much more comfortable for me.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Manual will always feel snappier due to the clutch versus having a torque converter. In a small engine car, manual is the way to go.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Wow.. I didn't realize the RPM difference would be so high?! That is quite interesting. I was really leaning toward the manual, but they are a little harder to find. Perhaps this is why? I will try and drive both I guess.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I drove both and got an MT. It feels quite a bit snappier than the AT, but as someone else said, the AT is not as much of a slug as other small car AT's are. The shifter action on the MT is great.

As far as gas mileage, there's a big thread on that. Summary - MT = lots better MPG in the city, AT = a bit better MPG on long freeway cruises.
Overall MPG better on MT, but a lot depends on your habits/situation. The mpg variance among users seems to be bigger with the AT than the MT (check the mpg polls for details).

I don't find the higher rpms of the MT intrusive until above 80 mph (over ~3900 rpm), then it gets a bit buzzy.

My MT has lifetime about 34 mpg, 70% city driving, 25% short freeway trips ~10 miles or so, 5% longer freeway.

Highest was 39 on a long freeway trip.
Lowest was 29 during a cold snap (-15F) with lots of very short city trips in bad traffic.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
You should live in my area, the local dealer has 5 MT fits on the lot right now and no automatics

And I want a sport MT pretty badly but need to straighten out some finances first. Probably by the time I'm ready to buy they'll have all automatics.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hahaha

Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Wow.. I didn't realize the RPM difference would be so high?! That is quite interesting. I was really leaning toward the manual, but they are a little harder to find. Perhaps this is why? I will try and drive both I guess.
Yeah the AT revs super low at speed which is great.
The paddles are really fun, not hard to use at all and give you the control most auto's lack but not as much control as a 5mt of course. In a way i kinda wish i got the 5mt because i plan on getting a SC and then tracking it, but i can still do that just have to buy some kinda cooler. Plus its a tad slower, but really the Fit is slow either way you go lol..Untill its supercharged of course.

Tyler

Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
If You drive mostly in city take MT, acceleration is faster than AT. But if you drive mostly on highway take AT. I drive my Fit MT 90 miles every day mostly on highway (school ). Driving over 90 miles is anoying with MT. But I like M, overtaking other cars is fun!! do to faster acceleration. Of course not quite economic.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Get the Fit Sport with paddle shifters. The Fit is not fast so it does not matter if you get the stick. Kind of useless unless you enjoy shifting.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
In the late 1960's Stirling Moss, one of Great Britain's, World Champion Formula One drivers, said in a Playboy interview that he drove an automatic car on the street. He also correctly predicted that racing cars in the future would have automatic transmissions. The current Formula One, and Indy racing cars all have automatic transmissions controlled by the same paddle shifters that the Fit has today.

Why take a chance on wearing out your clutch or crashing gears with a five speed.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
You forget that the racing cars have this transmision with out a clouth and they can shift a gear in 0.19s electronically synchronized and they are made especially for racing and only for racing. I dont think you have this kind of transmission in your Fit? By the way if it's better why the AT Fit has worster acceleration than MT? o and i have never seen a relly car that has the AT becouse in real driving is useles. Stirling Moss must be mistaken with his playboy.

Last edited by Piotr303; 01-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Geez

Originally Posted by Piotr303
You forget that the racing cars have this transmision with out a clouth and they can shift a gear in 0.19s electronically synchronized and they are made especially for racing and only for racing. I dont think you have this kind of transmission in your Fit? By the way if it's better why the AT Fit has worster acceleration than MT? o and i have never seen a relly car that has the AT becouse in real driving is useles. Stirling Moss must be mistaken with his playboy.

"Worster" ?!?

You are not helping your cause.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I dont think you realize what we are talking about ! AT transmision and Semi automatic are used in normal cars and they are not able to shift a gear that fast. Did you ever heard about sequentional transmision - this is the one used in racing cars not AT !
Howstuffworks "How Sequential Gearboxes Work" looks like racing cars use still manual but only slightly modified. Fit AT use semi automatic gear box, it means that it only allow the driver do shift the gear with shifters on the sterring weel. But in general is still automatic.

Last edited by Piotr303; 01-27-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was not referring to the type of transmission that a racing car uses, but to the method of changing the gears. I don't think that racing cars have manual clutches anymore. The Fit is not designed to be a racing car, and yes power is always lost in an automatic transmission which explains the "worster" performance. However, if you spend any time in traffic the automatic with the manual paddle selectors is a good compromise between driving fun and the drudgery of manually shifting gears requires in heavy traffic while going less than 20 miles per hour.

If racing around town is what you enjoy, and it makes you happy to clutch and shift continually, then go ahead and buy a manual transmission. You will need the extra money you saved buying the manual gearbox to pay for speeding tickets, higher insurance rates, body shop deductible payments, and higher fuel bills all as a result of racing around town.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
You are correct, driving manual in Chicago's treffic is killing experience. Maybe I'm too anoying about this gearboxys, but i used to drive in really clup in europe and I really like manual, becouse it gives you a perfect filling of a car especially while going or slipping on a tight turns. With this money for the speeding tickets you ar 100% correct.

Quick Reply: Fit Sport auto vs manual