General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit 5spd manual - agressive drivers report

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Fit 5spd manual - agressive drivers report

Hey guys... looking at an 08 5spd Sport model. Curious how the transmissions and clutch hold up to those of us who are semi agressive drivers

Please don't report unless you have some decent miles on your Fit

Last edited by mnapuran; 01-25-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
wrong car dude

Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Combo
wrong car dude
I highly diagree the Fit can hold its own as far as being driven agressive. Its a Honda, they love to rev!

Tyler

Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not looking for going nuts with the car.. I have other vehicles for that. Just curious about how well they hold up to the semi-frequent reving and more agressive driving. Not talking about flagrant abuse

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
It Depends.....

on what you mean by 'aggressive'. The acceleration is pretty similar to that of other econoboxes, maybe a bit better. But it's not a sports car in that regard by any means.

But the handling is great, instantaneous, and sensitive. It gives the fit a very sporty feel.

If mashing the gas pedal and feeling G-forces is your thing, I'd look elsewhere. If you like the twisties though, this is a great car!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by mnapuran
Hey guys... looking at an 08 5spd Sport model. Curious how the transmissions and clutch hold up to those of us who are semi agressive drivers

...well idunno if I have "decent" miles lill less than 1,500 but it doesn't feel like it wants to get thrown around (throttle wise) as much as my civics did. 7th gen and old '86. And I dont think you could be more aggressive than I was in those cars without frequent trips to the ER.
Handling wise...its a diff matter alltogether...it almost wants to be tossed.....IMH(of most H)O.
...but its true i dont have alot of miles, and once I can drive more and have healed up
I will give it a proper sorting out

You can usually be a bastard to Hondas and they seem to last quite well with proper maintenace (...and sometimes without )

Old 01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran

You'll love it. Very forgiving, yet gear feedback is noticeable good. I'm still adjusting from 540i GETRAG six speed. My timing expectation is much faster than the RPM/gear output. Be a litttle patient with it at first until you get use to it. Clutch is light and not too deep to engage. I've racked up 2500+ miles already and I've only owned it a month. Overall not bad for a $15k car.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
The Fit should not even flinch if you plan to rev it a bit and drive semi aggressive. The engine is made to rev and unless you ride the clutch like a mofo that will last a long time too.

I'd say as long as you don't suck at shifting and you don't spend your time hitting the rev limiter at every light, it will give you years of good service.

Your gas mileage will probably suck though lol

Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'll agree with other folks that it isn't exactly a sports car, but I do drive the hell out of mine. The gearbox is great, for what the car is. I say that because I can't compare it to other more expensive Hondas that I have owned, but for what it is, it is quite good.

I do a lot of high RPM shifting and drive the car pretty hard. The clutch seems fine...I usually get around 120k out of a clutch. I do downshift a fair amount.

For the record, I now have 54k on my Fit.

Last edited by rjm161; 01-25-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Like everyone has said, if u want power, oh my are u in the wrong place. But it is a awesome little, nible car with a whole lot of cargo space!

OT: Lovin ur bike! took me a lil while to like the 07s but now its just *drools*
Have u thought about painting the lower(i guess the mid) fairing? i think it would clean up the lines alot

Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
alright, well i have 10,000 miles on my car. i would say 2k of it was from canyon runs. and everyone knows canyon runs are high reving, sharp turning...basically beating the car to death.

im usually in second to 3rd gear most of the time.

my clutch and car are holding up fine. my oil at 3k miles is somewhat still clear.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there's quite a difference between spirited driving and abusive driving
so as long as you're not distructive to your car i think it will last a
long time.

im assuming the first wear item would be related to brakes.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM
so much fun bro.
get the manual only!

you can beat the shit out of it all day and it will be fun doing it. handles great!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have 17K miles and there is no sign of wear on the clutch at all. I drive very agressively. The balance between clutch and shifter is as brillitant as my S2000 was.I love my Fit. It does at times feels faster than it really is....so if you are a skilled driver the clutch will last a very long time. I mastered matching revs with downshifting in this car which definately saves on wear in my opionion. Better than easing out the clutch to let the engine catch up with the transmission speed like your average driver tends to do...plus it is a Honda so you have quality on your side...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds good... so now my debate is to buy now... or wait until the 09

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fazzster
The balance between clutch and shifter is as brillitant as my S2000 was.I love my Fit.
As a former S2000 guy as well, I will chime in and say that I have never experienced a 1st to 2nd grind in the Fit, so maybe it's even better!

No, in reality the S2000's shifter was very racecar-like.

Either way, I am with you 100%...I love the Fit. If you compare what you get for the price with the Fit, it may just be the best Honda I have ever owned. It may have to get to 125k trouble-free before I crown it the champ, but I couldn't imagine ever getting a better car for $15k.

And to mnapuran, you are killing me. I got rid of my last bike in 2004 and I am dying for a 600 RR. It just isn't in the cards right now.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I beat on my car daily and it is fine. Once it is boosted too, I am going to beat on it more. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
well i am a very aggressive driver... and it holds its own. I love driving hard, but the gas mileages hits the shit when you drive the way i do. LOL

Old 01-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I have 17 k on my car too.
I drive like an ass hole usually just to get out of the way in and out of traffic. I dont like waiting. I enjoy accelertating fast pretending the fit is actually fast. lol
gears never grind. I usually dont redline. every now and then I do, but its fully capable on doing it no problem.

as for getting the 09?....
I would say get an 07 used with lil miles for super cheap.
or get an 08 new. up to you. ive had my car since april and have had no problems with it. a lto of others will tell you same.

every now I wish I had a more higher "status" car with some authority but overall im happy.

~abe

the fit already handles great, and if you were to get suspension braces like rear swaybar, stb and such they make the car handle even better

Quick Reply: Fit 5spd manual - agressive drivers report