General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit wouldn't start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Fit wouldn't start!

Hey there fitfreakers. Had a little issue just an hour ago. I was getting ready to go to lunch and when I went to start the car it wouldn't turn. I know I was up for an oil change but that shouldn't prevent the car from starting. Battery power was good as all the lights were bright and there was no stuttering of the motor. I know how a low battery sounds as i had that problem with my other car. Heck I didn't even hear the engine turn nor hear the starter click. I popped the hood to take a look at the engine. First thing in mind was cursing and hitting the engine block lol. I checked my oil lvl which was fine but dirty. Checked the battery connections which were fine. Shut the hood with a small thud and got back in the car. Turned the key and it started just fine >.>. My guess might the cold weather. It's pretty cold here as I work just below a range of mountains on the west side of it. I'm wondering if people had problems with their car not starting when it's cold. I have 20k on my engine so far. 80% of it is commute driving to work.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Retired Moderator
My guess is your steering wheel lock. You probably turned your steering wheel after you got out of your car the first time and when you went back to start it, the wheel was turned a little bit and locked the starter. When you put your hood down, you probably nudged it enough back to let you start the car. Whenever this happens again, wiggle your steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
The steering wheel lock locks the starter? Hrmmm

Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
was -7F (windchill -22F) this morning and my FitS started up fine.

as illusive mentioned, sounds like something to do with the steering lock.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by smatts
The steering wheel lock locks the starter? Hrmmm
Yes it does...

Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
that's news to me >.<. Well i'll try to keep that in mind. I guess sometime when i jump in the car I move the steering wheel and this time i didn't. i'll post if problem persists.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i wonder if the OP was saying that the engine wouldn't turn over, or if the key wouldn't turn. but are you guys are saying that the steering wheel locking could let the key turn but prevent the engine from starting?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i wonder if the OP was saying that the engine wouldn't turn over, or if the key wouldn't turn. but are you guys are saying that the steering wheel locking could let the key turn but prevent the engine from starting?
That isn't possible. Either the key turns or it doesn't. if you lock the steering wheel the key won't turn. Once the key is one click forward, past the "lock" position it doesnt matter what you do with the wheel.

When starting, it is always a good idea to turn the key to "on" and let the fuel pump prime itself for a second before going over to "start" I know a lot of people who put in the key and crank it right from "lock" to "start" which isn't very good.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a computer glitch. I know sometimes they glitch. They might even mention it in the manual. I remember this being mentioned somewhere years ago(well not exactly the same thing...but you get the gist) and the resolve was to wait a minute or two and restart or just restart. I know new cars glitch from time to time as things get set and reset often. (new meaning last 10 yrs or so..)

But I have no real clue...keep us posted

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-24-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Because I felt like the "edit" button missed me...so I gave it some love...*click*
Old 01-24-2008, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes the clutch isn't pushed all the way down. That will prevent the fit from cranking.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Banned
Sounds like what happened to my starter. Sometimes it wouldn't turn even with FULLY CHARGED BATTERY. Lucky for me I have manual trans and sloped driveway so even after several tries turning the switch (other than USDM no clutch safety switch) NO LOCKED WHEELS, dash lights go out into position III but no starter turn or noise bump started by rolling in driveway, immediately turn off and starter works fine. Would only happen once a month or so cold or hot engine and starter would work just fine after rolling start got it going. Replaced the starter and no problems since. Replacing the starter is a BITCH https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...o-not-diy.html

Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kndlewis
Sometimes the clutch isn't pushed all the way down. That will prevent the fit from cranking.
That's another common thing people do that prevents their MT cars from starting...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kndlewis
No that wasn't the problem. My other honda for over 9 years was that way. That was my first guess and I tried depressing the clutch all the way down several times when i turned the key. All lights were normal. I didn't hear the starter click or the engine turn over. I really hope that my starter isn't going bad since i've owned this car less than a year D:. My prelude which was 11 years old before i junked it never had starter problems. It did however have a problem charging my battery. So once in a while i would let my car roll back and pop the clutch to get my car started again lol. I hated doing that before work cause once I got off work I had to do the same thing and sometimes i didn't have an incline to help me roll the car.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Illusive
That's another common thing people do that prevents their MT cars from starting...
Read the post Mine is NOT a USDM Fit and DOESN'T HAVE a clutch safety switch it WILL START NORMALLY IN GEAR OR NEAUTRAL WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED OR NOT normal operation.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore
Read the post Mine is NOT a USDM Fit and DOESN'T HAVE a clutch safety switch it WILL START NORMALLY IN GEAR OR NEAUTRAL WITH THE CLUTCH DEPRESSED OR NOT normal operation.
Holy crap buddy, calm down, I was talking about kndlewis' post where he said that "Sometimes the clutch isn't pushed all the way down. That will prevent the fit from cranking.".

Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Holy crap buddy, calm down,
+1 yah really.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
tin
5 Year Member
My fit wouldn't start on the first try today. I have a 08 Fit Sport AT, only around 2300 miles on it. After driving around 270 miles straight I stopped for dinner, afterwards I tried to start it and it just turned a few times without starting, the second try started like usual.

No check engine light or anything, everything seems normal. I figure it was because of the cold weather and my low fuel (no light yet, but it was almost at empty). Hopefully it's just a fluke and nothing is wrong, if it happens again I'll have to bring it in to get it looked at.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Quit yer glitchin'!

Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Sounds like a computer glitch.

Yes, let's hope it's a glitch; I got tired just reading about Claymore's starter-swapout adventure.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
tin- remember that it's considered normal to crank the starter over
8-10 sec until it starts. maybe you're cranking too short.

also, when there is a big change in humidity dry to damp, i find
that all my cars take a little more cranking to start.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
tin- remember that it's considered normal to crank the starter over
8-10 sec until it starts. maybe you're cranking too short.

also, when there is a big change in humidity dry to damp, i find
that all my cars take a little more cranking to start.
It usually starts on 3 or 4 cranks, but that time it did like 5 or 6 without starting (~3-4 seconds) and I stopped it thinking something was wrong. The second try started after 2 or 3 cranks. I did drive from near blizzard conditions to just cloudy and cold, so it's probable that humidity and freezing did play a role. But I drove in snowy conditions the day before and left it over night with no problem.

I tested the car today, drove around 100 miles, left it for an hour an a half in the cold and it started up fine. That's as much as I can do to recreate what happened, so far so good. Hopefully it's user error.

I'll keep that 8-10 seconds in mind next time, thanks!

Quick Reply: Fit wouldn't start!