General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New Fit owner who actually got a good deal! :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
New Fit owner who actually got a good deal! :)

So I just recently got my fit - $150 under MSRP, plus the usual fees for the Base model with MT. Not bad for the Bay Area, and especially not bad given that I didn't have to deal with the whole BS dealer markup.

My suggestion, and I cannot strongly enough emphasize this: NEVER. NEVER. NEVER, deal with the salespeople. Just deal with the Internet Manager. It's faster, it's less stressful, and you usually end up coming out as well as you could bargain too. You also get the opportunity to bargain with them via email, which creates a nice paper trail.

Another tip is with regards to financing. If you have top notch credit, you should be getting 5.99% from Honda (absent any specials), and if you put at least 20% down, you should be getting 5.74%. If anyone tries to get you to buy Lojack or something, and claims your rate will go down, they're lying (prior dealers did that to me on other cars).

Looking forward to driving the car more, it's a blast so far. Good fit and finish, and a bargain too!

Oh yeah, in case anyone is wondering, Costco pricing is $100 under MSRP.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Retired Moderator
Cool man, thats a i nice deal. Im asumming it was a 08?
What dealer were you at here in the Bay Area?

Tyler

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
It was indeed an 08.

I went to Concord Honda. Doug (the Internet manager) was a really straight up guy, and actually came through with a reasonably good price for my trade-in. While I could've sold the old VW for more elsewhere, it really wasn't worth my time and effort.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: Costco Executive level members can get 15% off parts and labor at participating dealerships.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Retired Moderator
Cool, i went there and looked at some Fits before i bought mine in Dublin.
Dont ask me about me deal because i got ripped...

Tyler

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
i guess thats a good deal for CA. i got my base for 450 under msrp in NJ. it helps that i strolled into the dealer on a teusday night, one hour before closing, when the forecast was for snow showers for the next 3 days. salesman were just standing around looking mopy knowing they were going to have a slow couple of days ahead...and since it was almost closing time, they didn't bother me with extra warranties, lojack, and other junk. it was one of my easiest car purchases ever...only second to my EP3 purchase for 15.5 new, haha.

your tip on dealing with the internet sales guy is a good one. but i found that taking all your e-mails printed out to the dealer and showing a regular salesman works also. i went in and told the salesman i wanted a better price than their internet guy was giving me and he was happy to take the sale form the internet guy. worked out for me. that's how i got the deal on the EP3 back in 04.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I was tempted to shop the hell out of what the Internet manager offered, but at the end of the day he was quick to give me a quote, and basically didn't act like I was an idiot like most dealerships do. Most places end up pissing me off so much that I stay and bargain even though I have no intention of buying the vehicle.

I was really planning to buy from a dealer that's closer to my work, but they really haven't given me any reason not to give them business.

I did end up getting Honda care and alarm, but we did do some haggling on the price -- at the end of the day, some line items got adjusted around to bring everything in line with what I wanted (ie - they gave me more for the car after the fact so that they only had to discount the Honda care so much, etc)

Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Congrats on the deal...and Welcome!!!

Now you can use that saved 150 for floormats! HAHAAHAAAAA
J/K

but...maybe not

Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
Now you can use that saved 150 for floormats! HAHAAHAAAAA
J/K

but...maybe not
Actually got the all weather floormats, as well as the cargo cover and cargo net.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by gar1013
Actually got the all weather floormats, as well as the cargo cover and cargo net.
Hey...I thought you were cool...
Now you are just bragging.....

lucky or good either way.....

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad in the Bay Area. A buddy of mine just got a Fit with MT and SP and it was for invoice. He just asked the guy and they happily accepted his offer. This is in socal. At that rate, you would have been better off flying down here and picking up the car and driving it back up.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by sohcpunk
Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad in the Bay Area. A buddy of mine just got a Fit with MT and SP and it was for invoice. He just asked the guy and they happily accepted his offer. This is in socal. At that rate, you would have been better off flying down here and picking up the car and driving it back up.
I find dealers in my area to be crazy for the most part -- there's too much money around here, and people that think that $2k+ markup is normal. Every other internet quote I got was for MSRP. And that's supposed to be the "competitive" channel.

Don't forget also that there's probably more profit built into the sport package for dealers than there is for the base model. I was just happy to find the base model, as I don't think the sport package offered me much value for the money -- don't care about the stereo difference, don't like body kits / spoilers, don't use cruise control, and don't really care about alloys.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Fits in New jersey seem to be dieing out a bit. My dealer has amost 10-15 fits in-stock.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
It was indeed an 08.

I went to Concord Honda. Doug (the Internet manager) was a really straight up guy, and actually came through with a reasonably good price for my trade-in. While I could've sold the old VW for more elsewhere, it really wasn't worth my time and effort.

when you trade-in a car that 'under MSRP' thought is useless.
he can sell you a (example) 16k car for 15,850 and give you what
you thought was a reasonably good deal on the trade -or- sell you
at $16k and give you a reasonably better deal on the trade.

basically the same thing. wat you should've done if you were going
for the best deal was to sell your vw elsewhere AND gotten that
150 deal. then you actually got something.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Good deal dude!

I know the dealership in the northbay that I got mine from had over a $3000 markup! They said that people were actually paying that too, crazy huh!?!

I ended up getting my Fit Sport MT for $15,700.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member

Another tip is with regards to financing. If you have top notch credit, you should be getting 5.99% from Honda (absent any specials), and if you put at least 20% down, you should be getting 5.74%. If anyone tries to get you to buy Lojack or something, and claims your rate will go down, they're lying (prior dealers did that to me on other cars).
Are you sure you are getting straight from AHF??? AHF will do better than 5.74% on '08's. I picked up my fit Friday afternoon and got 5.6% from AHF. I actually thought that was a bit high! (and it is compared to deals on 07's).
Make sure you are dealing straight with Honda and not some third party lender. I think Honda keeps their dealers more in line (i.e. honest) but I know Toyota dealers will try to do their own financing, fake warranties etc.

Man these little cars are great for getting around traffic! Only owned for few days and already notice a big difference.

Enjoy!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
+1, yah, dont mean to ruin your celebration but as hondaguy mentioned
if you're financing your car with that high APR, you're not getting a deal
at all.

mine was bought cash at $16024. which means i dont pay a penny
more. so MSRP (with stupid wheel locks i already sold) isn't so bad
afterall.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I got my BOM Fit Sport MT for $150 under MSRP, plus some perks. I got a year of extended warranty (12,000mi) and 3 free oil changes plus the car came with wheel locks. My dealer didn't have the BOM in stock so they traded with a different dealer in New York to get it to me. Only took about 5 days from the deposit to actual delivery of the car. I've heard stories of bad experiences with dealer swaps, maybe other dealers just wanted to get rid of the slower selling orange Fits so I got mine fast?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by HondaGuy
Are you sure you are getting straight from AHF??? AHF will do better than 5.74% on '08's. I picked up my fit Friday afternoon and got 5.6% from AHF. I actually thought that was a bit high! (and it is compared to deals on 07's).
Make sure you are dealing straight with Honda and not some third party lender. I think Honda keeps their dealers more in line (i.e. honest) but I know Toyota dealers will try to do their own financing, fake warranties etc.

Man these little cars are great for getting around traffic! Only owned for few days and already notice a big difference.

Enjoy!
What sort of term are you talking on your loan? I went with a 60 month term, as I plan to pay it off early but want low payments until I am able to do so (ie - time to start saving my bonuses and tax refunds!)

Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I got my BOM Fit Sport MT for $150 under MSRP, plus some perks. I got a year of extended warranty (12,000mi) and 3 free oil changes plus the car came with wheel locks. My dealer didn't have the BOM in stock so they traded with a different dealer in New York to get it to me. Only took about 5 days from the deposit to actual delivery of the car. I've heard stories of bad experiences with dealer swaps, maybe other dealers just wanted to get rid of the slower selling orange Fits so I got mine fast?

yep, won't happen in my area if you looking for silver. not that
there's anything wrong with that orange color. i think is looks pretty
good...like my brembo's on my other car.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
am i the only one who doesn't think that 5.whatever percent is bad? its all dependent on your credit and that varies person to person. and finance agency to finance agency.

Remember, the fit isn't exactly available in oodles, and i'm sure that most dealers aren't dying to get them off lots, because there is no need for any incentive on them because they are in demands. thats economics for ya.

I don't think that trading in to the dealer means that you CAN"T get a good deal. To me, thats great, especially considering the negative equity i had to finance in to get the fit. I wish i could be in your place!

Congrats on the purchase man and enjoy! You did get a good deal!

Quick Reply: New Fit owner who actually got a good deal! :)