General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Question about dealer installed alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Question about dealer installed alarm

Hello everyone,

I've been on fitfreak for a while now just reading everyone's posts, just wanna say thank you for all the helpful info.
I bought my base manual fit (and I really love it) back in June 07 and at the time dealer installed a Karr alarm system which I declined. The dealer then went ahead and disabled it (but I can still see the unit which is under the steering column with a flashing red light).
Now, will I have any problems disconnecting the battery terminals? And how hard is it to remove that unit all together? I'm thinking about buying a remote entry unit from handa-accessories.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
So far I'm planing to instal security and key less entry. But before I decide I'm going to buy Honda service manual Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda. last item on this page. Prabobly security is included in the manual.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
lovinMyFit,
from my experience working for KARR years back, if you go to your dealer during regular working hours, make your way to the back lot and KARR install tent. Ask technician to remove the unit, because you are concerned that disabled unit might give you problems down the road. Give a tech few bucks for his effort. After all they work on commission and it is a "slave pushing" at KARR.
Most units have starter wire cut and spliced into unit harness. Other OEM wires are just tagged. If you feel brave enough, follow wires from alarm harness to their connection points and disconnect them. Some might have diodes in-line to prevent feedback. Just remove everything. You will need large yellow butt connector for the starter wire to restore connection.
Just get a variety connector pack and wire crimping pliers from the parts store. Secure all connection points you disconnected as well as the one you restored with electrical tape.
Good luck.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that when I take my Fit in for service.