General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Urgent Needed Advise! Deer hits car

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Urgent Needed Advise! Deer hits car

Ok I drove home yesterday morning and out of no where a deer hit my Fit and all I heard was a loud sound smashing the front driver side and the deer died instantly and I immediately pulled over to the side of the freeway. Fortunately no one was heard and my wife and my 4 yrs old and 1 yr old was ok. It would of been ugly if the deer hits us dead on the driver side door. I walk out to check the car and the hood was crumbled up, the driver side headlight/fog lights and front bumper was smashed up, looking underneath the hood the battery, intake unit, brake master cylinder, the radiator support and radiator was badly damaged. I couldn't open up the hood and look further but I am assuming it could been more damage done in their. Then the state trooper came and talked to me and asked me if everybody was OK. He gets my info and stuff and ask me if I can start the car and if I need a tow truck. Sop the car started fine and no abnormal signs or anything so the trooper told me to drive to the nearest exit and see if the car is able to drive so I did. At this time I was only like 15 miles away from home but halfway home the car felt that it has no power and it died out and smoked was arising from the engine bay. So I tried to restart the car but it wouldn't start at this time I have a strong feeling the engine is overheated. Another trooper shows up it was towed. ASA I get home I contact my insurance(Progressive) and give them details about the incident. I talk to them and the adjuster will come and take a look at the car on monday. I think the engine is cooked and can they total it or you guy think that they will fixed it. Now Progressive told me that I can have it done at the shop that towed my car or at one of their network shop or who else I chose to do the work. Should I take the car to the Honda where I purchased the car done and you think Progressive let me do that.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear no one was
hurt. as far as opening the hood after an incident like that...next time
make sure you have a rope or bungie cord cause it may never shut
again. lol

anyway, going to the question about bodyshops. i HIGHLY recommend
you talk to your dealer and get a name or two of bodyshops they
recommend using. even if it is outside progressive's network i think
they will still pay for the repair in full. if not, next time switch to
statefarm.

it is hard to tell without pictures but it sounds like your car is still
repairable. the bill (loss) needs to be at least 30% to be totalled.
i recommend you get it fixed, sell it the week it's repaired, and
get another Fit.

goodluck with your repairs.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
dude sorry to hear that.... but glad your all ok... with reguards to the repair... you can have ti done where ever you want! it is a law... the insurence company CAN NOT make u go somewhere...they might try... i highly recomend you choose where you want i.e. not in the progressive network... it is your choise nto theirs do not let them push u around... GL with the repair... keep us posted

Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
+1

Originally Posted by Firebat666
dude sorry to hear that.... but glad your all ok... with reguards to the repair... you can have ti done where ever you want! it is a law... the insurence company CAN NOT make u go somewhere...they might try... i highly recomend you choose where you want i.e. not in the progressive network... it is your choise nto theirs do not let them push u around... GL with the repair... keep us posted
It is indeed law that you can have it done wherever you want, they will have suggestions but dont feel presured in any way, you might be surprised though as sometimes one of the suggested places is the dealer.

Glad you and your fam is ok!
Take it easy and warn the animals when you are in town! j/k
Did the marshmallows deploy?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned
To repeat the other posters, good that no one was hurt (sorry about the deer though). The damage you describe sounds like you ruptured the radiator and/or the upper rad. hose, so all of the coolant was pumped out during the short drive. A body shop won't have the skills to repair the engine, which now probably has a warped head, blown head gasket, maybe also a warped fire deck (top of the block).

I vote that you bring it to your dealer. They can swap out the engine (cheaper than all of the labor to repair your original one if I am right about the actual engine damage), AND do the body parts/paint work.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I Just realized last night why deer are really called Bambies as well as BAMB! is the sound they make as they smack into your nearly scratch free just gased up and washed 2 year old automoblie.

Around 7:30 last night I had the unfortunate opportunity to commune with nature. On my way home from work a deer landed on the hood of my fit and bounced upside down and hit just behind my driver's side door. I nearly had it in my lap. The only 5 parts of my car not touched are the front and back glasses, the top and the two passenger side doors everything else is smashed! (unfortunately someone opened their door on the passenger side and dented that the first week I had it. I am ok I just bit my lip. I was in the car alone. called 911 and got the wrong county and had to use my GPS to find out the name of the road I was on it shook me up so bad. How likely do you guys think it is that the insurance company will total it? If they don't should I fix it and Trade it in or just suffer? I have farm bureau.

Last edited by loganjnt; 03-16-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
loganjnt - If the airbags didn't deploy then I would doubt it, but it's hard to tell without pics.

Glad to hear you aren't injured

Old 03-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Sounds totalled. Good that you and the family walked away though. Bad for the Fit.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loganjnt
If they don't should I fix it and Trade it in or just suffer? I have farm bureau.
Good luck with Farm Bureau......two friends of mine both had claims denied by them recently, and both have since found new companies.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
they say they will fix it no problem. but I am debateing on trading it in on a 09 one if I am not happy. either red or blue. what do you guys think Keep it till I pay it off or trade it? How much will It be worth with the new parts and repainted?

Last edited by loganjnt; 03-18-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loganjnt
they say they will fix it no problem. but I am debateing on trading it in on a 09 one if I am not happy. either red or blue. what do you guys think Keep it till I pay it off or trade it? How much will It be worth with the new parts and repainted?
I don't know if this will come off as optimistic or pessimistic, but the factory paint is pretty bad. The repair/repaint might be better than the original.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
good point! ( the hood already had a chip)

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Sorry... I know it's not the right time...
Glad no one got hurt though.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I have Dialup so I can't really do the picture thing. But I do now have a total of the damages $5867.03