General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I wait for '09

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Question Should I wait for '09

I'm in the market for a new car. After lurking these forums for several weeks and reading other resources, I've decided that the car I want is the Fit. However I'm tied between the '08 and the newly designed '09.

What I dislike the most in the '08 is no seat height adjuster. I already test drove the '08 and I see this as a problem... Why did they leave it out??

What I like about the '09 is the looks... yea that's controversial around here but I like the new look of the '09 better than the '08. Another plus about the '09 is more cargo space inside and hopefully better MPG with a stronger engine.

However, the longer I wait, the more my current car (which I'm trying to sell) may cost me in costly repairs and maintenance...

Give me some good reasons to get an '08 fit...

Last edited by robodude; 12-22-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:01 PM
If you can't over look your dislikes of the current Fit and can afford to wait, then get the 2nd generation Fit. If you can't, then get one now. It's not like the current Fit is an inferior model or anything.....it's still a great car and I would get one right now if I hadn't seen the new Fit. *sigh* I hate waiting.......

Last edited by HapaLynai; 12-22-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Thats a hard qqquestion to answer becasue ive never driven or even seen the 09 in person yet.. I would say wait till the 09's come out if you can. The new one will be better in pretty much every way is what i hear. more options, and better seats are just a few of the new things that i hear will be coming. Plus more power and same or better MPG. If you can, it will be worth the wait.

Tyler

Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
No one, except Honda, really knows what the 09 Fit will have in the way of features. Generally, I will not buy a new generation of any car in the first year of production, even a Honda. The only Honda that I ever owned that has some issues was a 1994 Accord Wagon. It was the first year of that Accord generation. I have owned five since 1981.

The current Fit has been in production for a few years in Europe, as the Jazz, and in Japan as the Fit. If you need to replace your present car, then I would recommend the Fit. We have a sport automatic. It's great fun to drive, has lots of useful space and gets 30 miles to the gallon around town. Ours has only had to go back to the dealer twice since we took delivery in May of 2006. Once was to replace a bad tire, and the other was to replace the window track in the driver side which somehow got pinched by the window.

My other Honda is a 2000 Accord Coupe V6, which has 95,000 miles. The only repairs, other than consumables, was an alternator and the automatic transmission, which Honda replaced at 93,000 miles under a warrantee extension. I had them replace the timing belt, spark plugs, and do a complete 90,000 mile service while they replaced the transmission because Honda also paid for a rental car for three days. I plan on driving it at least for five more years or 150,000 miles whichever comes first.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
i would say if you can afford to wait, wait. in my opinion, buying a car just before the new gen comes around is pointless. personally, i'd rather be cruising around in the brand new fit, and not just now getting the older style. it all comes down to your situation i guess, because if i was looking for a new car i would pick one up as soon as i could. either way you'll have a fresh, reliable, warrantied vehicle.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
If you can live with your current car for half a year just wait, the new fit brings better options and more power to an already awesome car.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I pretty much agree with HapaLynai,TOOL, and Flyboybob...

I would only like to add that indeed a used car seems to save you more money, so if your car can hold together... (try it?) Unless it dies or you keep it and then cant sell it for even a pair of socks.

When the new Fit arrives the 08's which will still be new on lots will probably be at a discount (since its a redisign and not a MMC, I believe)

The new Fit will most likely be heavily marked up! HEAVILY!!! Did I happen to mention "HEAVILY?". How you say...ahhh yes...HEAVILY! The USDM Fit was already marked up and is just now starting to come down, The new Fit will not only be another good car like its predecessor but will have a good reputation increasing the demand that much more. It will probably have a (real) sport version and that increases as well. If they increase the amount sent to the US and or set up the lines of manufature here or closer then it will probably only be rediculous instead of ludicrous.

And like what was said before me Hondas like other manufacturers get more bugs out the 2nd, 3rd...and so on years after a new model was released.

And last but not least (im sure I have more to babble about...) the USDM versions usually get less gas mileage and put on some lbs and get a bit bigger. (unless Honda changed the car so it can be more universal and less taylored to different markets...haaahaaa that made me giggle!)

Just food for thought! I kinda hope you get the new model (so that there will still be previous generation around for people who without a doubt want it...j/k! heehee

Hang in there its early to be anxious...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Oooooh!

I just remembered that some used Hondas at dealers carry longer warranties than new Hondas. An odd but usefull tidbit. And they have been driven usually long enough to find the immediate shortcomings that sometimes plague new models.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with Flyboybob in terms of avoiding an all-new model in its first year. I may be a bit more skeptical than most, but history will tell you that in the first year of production there are always kinks (big and/or small) that need to be worked out. I understand that no car (or OEM) is perfect, but I'd rather not be the consumer who is testing a new model in the "real" world. I'll leave that to the early adopters. Or maybe I'm just jealous that I won't be the first on the block with an '09.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I bought a new one. i don't have any problems with mine. and i don't like the way the new ones look. but i guess beauty is in eye in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you already see a problem in a particular car dont get it. im sure you
can get aftermarket seats if you're into modding cars that would get the
seat height to wat you want, but not sure if you like the 08's that much.

i too noticed that the seats were not height adjustable nor the
steering wheel telescopic on the first test drive... cause on my old
06 CivicEX sedan i had that was one of the key features i really liked
about that car... yet it wasn't enough to make me keep the car. lol

the Fit's seats are pretty comfortable given its very basic design.
honda did an excellent job of making sure enthusiasts would enjoy
the drive by focusing on the key areas of the car. at the expense
of not having some vanity things you might find on other cars in that
price range. but do you want a car that looks like a mazda? that's
like kmart on wheels. MS3 is like the martha stewart edition. lol jk

Old 12-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Buy a 08 and save a few bucks,It's gets you from point A to point B in style.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 PM
It doesn't sound like you like the current Fit all that much so I don't think its a good idea to have folks talk you into one. It sounds like you like the 09 better so the only reason to go with the 08 would be to save on money. However since you asked...

The 07/08 Fit is and will always be a rare car in the U.S.A. The 09-?? Fit will be much more commonplace.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Since our '09 Fit is the '08 in Japan, doesn't this mean we're getting a car in it's 2nd year vs it being the first year? Just a thought.

I do like the '08 Fit a lot. In fact I test drove the Fit, Versa, Matrix, ('08 Focus - puke) & Yaris and the Fit stood out. I test drove the Prius as well, but that's another type of car with another type of price tag if you know what I mean.

If the '09 Fit wasn't coming to the US in '10 or '11, I wouldn't wait for it. But since it's so close...

Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I could see the new fit sport/rs being about 17300.00-17500.00

Old 12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm If there's a rather large price increase, I would get an '08. I really don't want to spend too close to 20k. Otherwise I would get a prius.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Cool I can't blame You...

This is a question that we all ask ourselves at som point in time when you are in the market for another car. Since you have done your research, you will find that the Honda Fit is one of the Best Top10 for 2007 & 2008. As with every car, you pay for what you get. When it comes to the Fit, I can tell you that teh Fit is a good value...depending what your budget is as well what you plan to use your car for. I would not wait around for the 2009 unless you know that the 09 Fit has better features than the 08 besides the panorama roof. Overall, my personal opinion would be to get the 2008 while is fresh and hot direct from japan. My fit was assembled and built in Japan with 100% Janpanese parts, that tells me reliability. DO not wait around too long cause you will always wait around for the next best thing.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by robodude
Hmmmm If there's a rather large price increase, I would get an '08. I really don't want to spend too close to 20k. Otherwise I would get a prius.
I agree. I'd be crazy to try to get one for below the base price, but I would would probably lose interest if the dealerships are going to markup the new Fit as high as the the starting price of an automatic Civic EX at MSRP. I'm hoping that the Internet Sales Managers that post on Fit Freak can sell them for a reasonable price upon release *eyes JDMChris.com*

Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Retired Moderator
Prices wont increase more then $1k.
Just look at Hondas trends lately, yes they will increase but less then 1k. That puts the S AT at 17700 or less.

Tyler

Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Prices wont increase more then $1k.
Just look at Hondas trends lately, yes they will increase but less then 1k. That puts the S AT at 17700 or less.

Tyler
I have noticed that as well, the thing that catches me is that the civics were about the price of a Fit not that long ago, infact the Fit is more expensive than the civics of not long ago. Or now if you go with a base civic for that matter. I am wondering/worried about the sportier version, as the price of the civic EX, Si, and Mugen erected quicker than a horny 16yr male!!! The Fit-a car in demand +real sport version+ greed= world of hurt.

Quick Reply: Should I wait for '09