General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Should I wait for '09

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Retired Moderator
I dont really understand what your saying lol, you think the RS or S whatever they call when it comes to the US is going to be the price of a Si..It wont, it wont be over 18k for that matter. Maybe if they make a Fit Si or type R it will be around Si price range but that wont happen for awhile and if it ever does it will be in Japn before here.

Tyler

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM
r81
the new fit is going to be more car with more amenities and creature comforts than the current fit. it's styling is going to be more modern and more powerful. after all the current model has been around since 2002.

however it's going to be bigger, physically as well as price tag. (just look at the new Scions) honda will probably do a great job improving it to appeal to the purists, but most honda enthusiasts will probably like the old more better as it has more character.

take the 3rd generation integra gsr for example, that was in production from 1994-2001. it was replaced by the rsx. i've met MANY rsx type-S owners who owned both and actually prefer the older chassis.

same goes with the 1988-1991 CRX, which was replaced by the del sol (but still called a crx in many markets). the del sol being newer didn't fill it's it's predecessor's shoes very well.

if you need a car now but you don't want to keep throwing money into your current car just to get by, just buy a current fit. once the new one comes around (probably next fall), check one out and if you really like it, trade it in or sell it. since it's a honda, you'll get decent resale value. but the new model, like many people have mentioned will have a higher msrp, as well as higher financing as it's a new model. also, who knows about supply and demand and "market adjustment pricing"; it may be even higher than the current models.

i'm in a similar situation. i need a daily driver within a couple of months, but can't wait a year for the new generation. this is my 2 cents.

Last edited by r81; 12-23-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 AM
ooops...

No I definately dont think it will be the price of the Si or Mugen (aka wallet bomb) It was just an example of the trend I think the top tier/sportier versions will succumb to. I dont think 18k is thaaaat baaahd...hold...... on........weyht.....sorrryyy .......jussssss....wunnn.............taa.......ahh h
PHEEW!!! I aplologize, as my hands had the sudden inexplicable urge to choke me! What a BETRAYAL of an appendage/extremity!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think I will pay over MSRP for the 09 fit. I've never even paid MSRP for any car.

At this point I may wait until the 09 fit comes out while there are still 08's on the lot. What ever the price difference is and how much I like the 09 after seeing and driving it in person will determine if it's worth paying extra for.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robodude
Hmmmm If there's a rather large price increase, I would get an '08. I really don't want to spend too close to 20k. Otherwise I would get a prius.
also no one thaught to consider this... when the fit came out in america there was limited supply and hi demand just like the new civic and any other new car. hence markups. soooooo now you have a potentially 17k car and when the fit first came out a 2k markup. so now were at 19k plus 10% tax and licence so now your at almost 21k oh you want gap insurance? 22k financing charges. you get 7.9 percent interest now were up to almost 25k after all is said and done. now your prius is cheaper and more fuel efficient haha think about it.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Second-to-last year car vs. 1st year car. Hmm. I traded my 1st year '06 Civic in for an '07 Fit, if that says anything.

Last edited by cojaro; 12-23-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Thats a hard qqquestion to answer becasue ive never driven or even seen the 09 in person yet.. I would say wait till the 09's come out if you can. The new one will be better in pretty much every way is what i hear. more options, and better seats are just a few of the new things that i hear will be coming. Plus more power and same or better MPG. If you can, it will be worth the wait.

Tyler
Actually mpg should be worse on the '09 fit since fifth gear on the '08 is 0.757 and fifth on the '09 fit is 0.853 so the '09 Honda Fit will rev higher on the highway plus the sport comes standard with 16" wheels now so the bigger wheels will sap the increase of hp from the engine.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Possible...

Originally Posted by bluerice
Actually mpg should be worse on the '09 fit since fifth gear on the '08 is 0.757 and fifth on the '09 fit is 0.853 so the '09 Honda Fit will rev higher on the highway plus the sport comes standard with 16" wheels now so the bigger wheels will sap the increase of hp from the engine.
Thats very possible...
Its also very possible that they introduced a slightly more efficient combustion process and or power transfer. The fit we sport isnt the newest in technology by far...(so its extra nice to see it performing better than many of its rivals).

I actually dont think Its mpg will be better as our fit is not that clean compared to some new hondas (or even my old 01 civic) and i'm thinkin the new Fit will best our LEV and atlest be a ULEV like the cars before and after it (in Cali)

Oh and "sOx" I think alot of people considered what you said (myself included) and that is why some of us are concerned. Or atlest pretending to be so that our posts seem more "DRAMATIC"

Maybe with our collective conscious we can all JINX the price of the new auto and manifest our fears...

Old 12-23-2007, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
also no one thaught to consider this... when the fit came out in america there was limited supply and hi demand just like the new civic and any other new car. hence markups. soooooo now you have a potentially 17k car and when the fit first came out a 2k markup. so now were at 19k plus 10% tax and licence so now your at almost 21k oh you want gap insurance? 22k financing charges. you get 7.9 percent interest now were up to almost 25k after all is said and done. now your prius is cheaper and more fuel efficient haha think about it.
Anyone who would pay a markup for this car is nuts. I got my 1998 ITR at msrp, and they only brought in about a thousand that year. There will be what, 20 times that or more of the Fit? i still like the look, i'm waiting.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
i am currently in your shoes robodude. i know i want a new car and i want it to be a fit. so do i go and take my $5k and put that down on a new 08 or wait for the 09? from the pictures i seen of the 09 im not a fan of the new body and colors, but from some reason i like the black one that 98typeR posted. i just want to see us specs before i make my decision.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
well, if you're going to wait for the '09, what's stopping you from waiting for the '10, '11, etc.?

i figure if you absolutely need the car RIGHT now, you will not regret getting the current model at all. if you're able to wait, then sure, wait.

imo, there's always going to be something newer and better coming along, so you lose either way, lol.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
If I absolutely needed a car right now, I would get either an '08 Fit. But since there's no rush, I'm going to wait for the '09 Fit.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Good call me thinks. I was in the same boat and decided to wait because I like what we've heard/seen about the '09 so far, and unless you're having to dump big bucks into keep an existing car running, putting off a new car purchase is almost always the best financial decision.

It will be interesting to see what changes the new CAFE requirements bring. I bet over the next year we start hearing of some neat coming attractions in the subcompact segment. New models and some diesel options, which have previously seemed unprofitable, may become more attractive in the US. That and more hybrids might make for some neat new choices.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
find a low mileage 07 for cheap and throw a supercharger in it!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I like the look of the new '09 JDM Fit too.

But...

Won't they be required to add more bumper to the US version? Doesn't the current US Fit have extended bumpers compared to the rest of the World's Fits?

The new Fit will be bigger and heavier than this model.

I would buy now - and wait for a new engine to come out. My bet is that in about 2 or 3 years, diesel and new hybrid engines will be sprouting up all over the place, and that Honda will put out an ultra-fuel efficient engine for the Fit to stay on top of the pack.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I found some info that makes it look like the new engine in the '09 Fit looks really cool and I'm probably going to see if i can swap some of those parts into my '07 Fit, but the '09 Fit looks like it'll be harder to "mod" since it uses the same exhaust manifold as the R18A engines which is actually machined as part of the cylinder head and then connects directly to a "dual" catalytic converter set up.

Here's the link where i got my info:

Honda L-Series SOHC i-VTEC Engines for the new GD Honda Fit/Jazz

Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robodude
I'm in the market for a new car.

However, the longer I wait, the more my current car (which I'm trying to sell) may cost me in costly repairs and maintenance...

Give me some good reasons to get an '08 fit...
So you can be really ticked-off when the 09 comes out and you like it better than your 08...I'd wait.

I feel your pain...let's wait together, independently.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
SoX...dude...lay off what you are doing man...it's gonna make you sick.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
size, mpg, mark up etc

i wouldn't be too concerned with mark up.

go to a volume (not a smaller) honda dealer and you'll find less of it.

the current gen fit in no way is still an easy to find car, and even back when there werent any on the lots and waiting lists, there was no mark up in any of the dealers in my area.

besides, our gen fit was the first new subcompact from honda....this time around it will be the new FMC version, but it wont be the first time in the last 5 years that honda has offered a small hatch that everyone needs to jump on immediately...our fit has already taken that mantle.

this car shouldn't get any worse gas mileage than it already does. and it will do so with more power and being cleaner.

everyone wants to harp on weight...news for ya. the new jdm fit is only 22 lbs heavier than the outgoing model. guys, THAT IS NOTHING. And even if it gets sized up a bit for the u.s. market, it still will only equate to being a few lbs more than the U.S.D.M. version.

i bet a base model will be around 14k with an rs, or sport version coming in at 16.5 instead of high 15's for the manual. maybe an even 17 for the auto.

oh, and gearing doesn't tell the whole story as far as mileage goes. so assuming it will get worse mpg's simply because of gearing=kinda silly.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
count me in on the vigil awaiting the 09 fit. but keep in mind, there is no guarantee that the 2nd generation fit will arrive in 2008. one dealer told me it may not arrive until spring 09. that was speculation on his part. ive been to 3 honda dealers and they all told me, "you know more about the 2009 fit than i do."

Quick Reply: Should I wait for '09