General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Locking up a gun in a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I have been looking at this same situation. I do have a small locking box with cable that I can use to secure a gun/wallet/ valuables in and lock to the seat rails. I am also looking for a good, hidden place to keep a gun for easy access in the event of a car-jacking or whatever else may come. I am going to try putting a holster with a small revolver under the front seat in the corner by the center console to see if that is hidden enough for my liking. My Fit is a 2011 model and actually has a small compartment under the rear seat that is pretty convenient to hide things in that most people would never find, especially with the seats folded down. Not sure if they put that on all years.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I carry a Ruger LC9 and am looking for a place to attach a box too.

Subscribed.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM
I have this box NANOVAULT PISTOL SAFES - Brownells and it should fit under the seat. I haven't actually put it there yet, but looks like there is enough room. Much like when carrying a weapon on you, sometimes you might have to make sacrifices in one area to improve another.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I use the hidden compartment under the rear seats to hold my gun. I'm an MP so I have to carry my gun whenever I go to work, it's a nice little spot to put it and no one even knows to look there!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Hate to bump an old thread, but I figured I'd make a suggestion. I've been puzzling through the same thing.

It might work to get something slim like the Gunvault Nanovault and put it in the pouch on the back of the passenger's seat. Then poke a little hole in the bottom of the pouch and run the security cable down to the seat frame at the floor.

I think it'd sit deeply enough in the seat pouch that it'd be hidden. But if not, you could just cover the safe if needed by tucking an old shirt or something over it just so people don't peek in and see it. And if the passenger's seat is pushed back far enough I don't think the cable would show any. (Or just cover it with more typical floor-of-the-car mess.)

You might need to get an extra-long security cable so you can actually pull the safe out of the seat pouch from the driver's seat. But I think it'd be (1) relatively well hidden (2) accessible from the driver's seat and (3) securable to the seat frame. Not 100% foolproof but good enough, especially if it's well hidden.

I haven't tried it yet, but I will once I get my nanovault. And my CCW license, of course.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
I wish we had concealed carry here in IL, you guys are lucky!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Why in the world would you leave a loaded firearm in a car? Then again my dad does but I tell him its just stupid.

Put it on your hip and call it a day.

Well atleast thats how it is in PA..... The only places I cant carry are in schools, federal buildings and courthouses. But most court houses provide gun lockers once you're in there. I never have to go to a school or federal building so im in the clear everywhere....

For the less fortunate ones, I would just bolt a small safe underneath the seat IF you dont care about drilling through your floor, which some might .

Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I work at a university. Ohio says no CCW at a university. But it's in a lousy area. If I get a flat on the way home I want some protection.

Even if it's not loaded I want it hidden.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mcm180
I work at a university. Ohio says no CCW at a university. But it's in a lousy area. If I get a flat on the way home I want some protection.

Even if it's not loaded I want it hidden.
Well unless there are signs on campus saying you cant carry... if ohio law says no CCW on a state university can you open carry... probably not though. Its a shame some moron decides to shoot up a campus and the rest of the nation gets punished for it. Or should I say the honest people still get punished, because you know a criminal is the one thats going to be armed!

I hate the way this country works and if I were that concerned about it I would still carry a pocket pistol. I carry wherever I go and most of the time I open carry. There are alot of stupid people out there and Im not willing to find out the hard way who they are.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have CCW and a weapon because a cop is too heavy and takes up to much space in my car.

Originally Posted by TOOL
Can i ask, whats the point of having a gun in your car?
I just dont understand, there must be a reason that im missing here.
Well maybe if you lived in Oakland it would make sense lol?

Tyler

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by AC7880
I have CCW and a weapon because a cop is too heavy and takes up to much space in my car.
Yea no joke...... When people ask me why I carry I simply reply.... "why dont you". That usually shuts them up really quick

Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 AM
There are signs. And I'm the one paying the bills so I'm not in a position to push the limits of the law and get fired or anything.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Speedlimitz
I wish we had concealed carry here in IL, you guys are lucky!
Let's not hold our breath over this, ryan, blago, quinn. Their all the same bunch of Chicago lackeys and with the mayor now we don't stand a chance.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by running
Let's not hold our breath over this, ryan, blago, quinn. Their all the same bunch of Chicago lackeys and with the mayor now we don't stand a chance.
Yep we are screwed

Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not able to find the video to embed but for the baddest gun storage setup, look up American Guns' "Truck Gun". There was a hidden button up front and once pressed, you were able to lift the rear seat and a locking mechanism released the rifle. But you had to do it in 10 seconds or it locked itself back up again.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mcm180
There are signs. And I'm the one paying the bills so I'm not in a position to push the limits of the law and get fired or anything.
Yea, day to day life I do it on occasion but there are very few places I cant go. Your right, its not worth risking your job over, no doubt about it.... You would lose alot more than just a paycheck over that one.... as there are alot of fringe benefits that go along with university work.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Can i ask, whats the point of having a gun in your car?
Have you ever heard of someone being carjacked? Just curious.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
Have you ever heard of someone being carjacked? Just curious.
Actually yes, and sadly it was within a mile of where I work.
But then again, I work in cable TV and the local news crew had office space in my building so bad news travels especially fast then. (they shut down the local news service several years ago, which is somewhat sad, it was nice to have a 5 minute session at the bottom half of every hour on headline news.)

I don't have a CCW permit here for NC, and thankfully I haven't had to transport my gun other than when I bought it... Living out in the country no one is close enough to get me for firing a weapon within 500 feet of a house and we've got a massive compost heap that works as a great backstop for our targets. I've debated what would be a good safe method for transporting and I've considered getting a CCW or a locked container so I could keep a weapon in the car - just in case.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Go see a welder at a machine shop and get whatever you want custom built. The OP said money was no object.

I just hip carry and don't patronize places that don't support my rights.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by statik2083
But then again, I work in cable TV and the local news crew had office space in my building so bad news travels especially fast then.
So do I! Been at it for 24 years. Here's my ride! LOL (No, I do not carry or leave a gun in my van)

Name:  DSCN0435.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  62.1 KB