General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Extended Warranty

I've got about 4500 miles on my 2008 FIT right now......what's the best deal on a 100,00-120,000 mile coverage plan now.

From who ?
How similar to my current new car warranty ?
It seems that certain companies give you the best deals & choice of plans when you're under 6,000 miles.

Thanx

Morris County,N.J.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
i got the extended warranty when i bought my fit.

8 years, 100k miles

Old 12-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned
honestly its a waste of money, the things most of the extended warranties cover never really have issues. Few and far between will you have an issue that is actually covered by this warranty. I highly suggest you don't waste you're money on something that will not cover you.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
shit at the rate im going. im glad i bought that warranty. ive already brought my car into the dealer 2 times. since i have a cold air intake.. i usually get a lot of moisture. and well in time those o2 sensors and a/f sensors will pay off the warranty. plus they gave me the rental car, and if in another state...hell they will pay for my hotel to. in a way....yes its a waste of money. but at the rate im going, i think ill save some money in the long run.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't a believer in extended warranties until I owned my 01 AV6. Thought it'd be trouble free, but the A/C went out after a couple years, I had vents that wouldn't stay put, that "musky" smell from the A/C, cracked plastic hinges, leaking hoses, fogged headlight enclosure, dry rot, etc., and it was all covered, and adding up what everything would have cost to bring in to have them do exceeded the cost of the warranty, which was nice. I also seemed to get treated better because I had bought the warranty, and they'd go out of their way to make sure I had a free loaner, tank of gas, etc.

Of course, if you're going to mod the heck outta your car and void everything anyway, these are a waste.

-Mike

Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeeman
I've got about 4500 miles on my 2008 FIT right now......what's the best deal on a 100,00-120,000 mile coverage plan now.

From who ?
Honda Care Warranties - Extended Vehicle Service Warranty Contract

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ghibli99
I wasn't a believer in extended warranties until I owned my 01 AV6. Thought it'd be trouble free, but the A/C went out after a couple years, I had vents that wouldn't stay put, that "musky" smell from the A/C, cracked plastic hinges, leaking hoses, fogged headlight enclosure, dry rot, etc., and it was all covered, and adding up what everything would have cost to bring in to have them do exceeded the cost of the warranty, which was nice. I also seemed to get treated better because I had bought the warranty, and they'd go out of their way to make sure I had a free loaner, tank of gas, etc.

Of course, if you're going to mod the heck outta your car and void everything anyway, these are a waste.

-Mike
yeah! IMO i'd rather be SAFE than SORRY.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
yeah! IMO i'd rather be SAFE than SORRY.
say that all you want, but coming from the perspective of working in a shop, 9 out of 10 things that happen are NOT covered under any type of extended warranty. Go ahead and waste you're money if you'd like but you've been warned

Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
say that all you want, but coming from the perspective of working in a shop, 9 out of 10 things that happen are NOT covered under any type of extended warranty. Go ahead and waste you're money if you'd like but you've been warned
Did you not read my post? Anyway, that might be your experience, but in mine, all the things that actually went wrong (not normal wear and tear items like pads, wiper blades, etc.) were covered and fixed w/ no hassle by Honda.

-Mike

Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned
Ok, I'm telling you that in my situation, the one who was fixing the cars, that 9 times out of 10 the things covered by extended warranties never go wrong, the things that do go wrong are typically not covered. Fantastic that you never had any issues with your warranty, but I'm letting other people know that there is a risk in purchasing an extended warranty plan because there are a number of companies out there with plans that appear to cover you, but when you get down to trying to use them you run into nothing but issues.

I've seen grown men break into tears because their car was broken and they thought it would be covered under the extended warranty. Turns out they were throwing money down the drain because the warranty they picked up did not cover 90% of things that typically have issues.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by yeamans17
Ok, I'm telling you that in my situation, the one who was fixing the cars, that 9 times out of 10 the things covered by extended warranties never go wrong, the things that do go wrong are typically not covered. Fantastic that you never had any issues with your warranty, but I'm letting other people know that there is a risk in purchasing an extended warranty plan because there are a number of companies out there with plans that appear to cover you, but when you get down to trying to use them you run into nothing but issues.

I've seen grown men break into tears because their car was broken and they thought it would be covered under the extended warranty. Turns out they were throwing money down the drain because the warranty they picked up did not cover 90% of things that typically have issues.
I guess I'll try to carefully compare the original warranty with the extended one.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned
I guess I'll try to carefully compare the original warranty with the extended one.

exactly, just make sure that the plan you end up purchasing covers things that you forsee problems with.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:32 PM
www.curryhondacare.com check this site out if you do decide to buy the extended warranty...me and a buddy were searching and the prices here seemed pretty cheap.......just a side note, my buddy purchased the warrenty from this site for his accord, the display light went out on his radio and the extended warrenty covered it...he asked the service guy what it would have cost to have this fixed and i think it was like $400. We all know hondas are reliable but we should also know what it costs to fix them when they tear up.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
i think i posted this in another thread about extended warranties, but my experience was that i either pay for an extended warranty or get a higher interest rate on financing my car. the dealer wouldn't budge, so i figured i'd get a warranty out of it instead of just more money in their pockets.

i was SOOOO angry at first but i'm glad i have it, JUST IN CASE. for the problems that might not happen (but there's still the possiblilty that they might) it's just that extra insurance.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Extended Warranties are insurance policies not repair contracts. They don't cover anything that's expected to wear out (mufflers, clutch, brakes etc.). When you buy an extended contract you are really buying peace of mind in case something that isn't suppose to break breaks. You can get a 8 year/100K Honda Care contract for $785. Since the first 3 years are covered under warranty its really a 5 year policy. So you have to ask yourself is roughly $160 a year peace of mind worth it to you?

Personally I think long term contracts are worth it (assuming you intend to keep the car long term). Shorter term contracts not so much so.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:05 PM

From who ?
How similar to my current new car warranty ?
It seems that certain companies give you the best deals & choice of plans when you're under 6,000 miles.

Thanx

Morris County,N.J.
Honda Care Extended Warranty

This site is offering a 5% sale off already cheap prices.

I haven't done business with them so I can't offer any opinion on the dealership.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
sweet....those prices are even better than the site i found...i mean $800 for an extra 4-5 years and up to 120000....that sounds well worth it to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Smile Honda Care

I worked in auto dealers for 30 years.
I always advised against the extended warranties because, as someone stated, the small thisng and electrical components were rarely covered.Major things like drive train components rarely fail, it is the little gravating things. Well, I recently bought a 2008 Fit. Upin entering the F&I office I was not going to buy anything extra. The F&I guy offered me a pretty good deal on the Hondacare 8 year 150,000 mile warranty. I took a look at the terms and EVERYTHING was covered. In addition roadside emergency service is included and they would throw in a remote starting system.
I took it for the peace of mind it presented. Now I don't have to worry if my wife gets a fast, locks her keys in the car, etc. It is also transferrable if you sell the car. I thought it was a real good value.

Buster B.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 AM

F.Y.I. I bought my extended warranty online from Bernardi Honda.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
but my experience was that i either pay for an extended warranty or get a higher interest rate on financing my car. the dealer wouldn't budge, so i figured i'd get a warranty out of it instead of just more money in their pockets.

Actually you did enhance the dealer's profit. This dealer should be reported to the BBB. The dealer gets a cut of your extended warranty payment.
Interest rate on your loan is independent of an extended warranty; your interest rate is dependent on your credit rating. And dealer's greed. He gets a cut of your loan charge as well.

If you can always get your loan thru your bank(and even they sometimes give a cut to the seller) or most preferrably your credit union. (they almost never 'reward' the seller.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty