General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
but my experience was that i either pay for an extended warranty or get a higher interest rate on financing my car. the dealer wouldn't budge, so i figured i'd get a warranty out of it instead of just more money in their pockets.

Actually you did enhance the dealer's profit. This dealer should be reported to the BBB. The dealer gets a cut of your extended warranty payment.
Interest rate on your loan is independent of an extended warranty; your interest rate is dependent on your credit rating. And dealer's greed. He gets a cut of your loan charge as well.

If you can always get your loan thru your bank(and even they sometimes give a cut to the seller) or most preferrably your credit union. (they almost never 'reward' the seller.
hmm. that actually really sucks then.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Extended Warranty

I would rarely advise purchasing an extended warranty. I understand the piece of mine it gives you though. If you must purchase one, I wouldn't pay more than half of what the dealership states the warranty costs. Extended warranties are negotiable just like the vehicles they cover. I think some good or even better deals can be found on the internet. I'm not a big fan of buying new vehicles either. Other than my Fit, the only other new vehicle I purchased was a 2000 Nissan Xterra at the end of 1999. I did purchase an extended warranty for half of the price quoted which was around $600. Before the warranty was over I brought it in to replace what I could get them to fix. It wasn't much: a cracked A/C light switch and the rear hatch struts. These things did not equal to the $600, and the A/C hoses that had to be replaced were not covered under the warranty. Another option is saving the amount of money you would have spent on the warranty for repairs. If you do happen to have a problem, you'll have the money for repairs (or at least the majority of the money). If you don't have any major problems, you'll have the extra money. Don't forget that the Fit's powertrain is covered for 5 yrs/60k miles. By the way Honda offered me a warranty for the Fit for $2400. After I stopped laughing, the finance guy said he would let me have it for around $1600. Needless to say, I didn't purchase it.

David - Dallas, TX
91' Nissan NX2000
00' Nissan Xterra
07' Honda Fit Sport

Old 03-04-2008, 04:40 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I saw a message on collegehillshonda.com that after 4/1/08 Honda will no longer allow sales of Honda Care extended warranties online. Anyone heard about this?

If so, maybe I should buy one now before it's too late. I'm still undecided on whether I should actually buy the extended warranty, but I found a 8yr 120K $0 deductible warranty from bernardiwarranty.com for $890. Which looks like a pretty good deal to me, plus I can afford it (unlike what the dealer quoted me, he said the package comes with LoJack and some other junk). Is it a good deal? Anyone got their warranty from bernardiwarranty.com?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by tin
I saw a message on collegehillshonda.com that after 4/1/08 Honda will no longer allow sales of Honda Care extended warranties online. Anyone heard about this?

If so, maybe I should buy one now before it's too late. I'm still undecided on whether I should actually buy the extended warranty, but I found a 8yr 120K $0 deductible warranty from bernardiwarranty.com for $890. Which looks like a pretty good deal to me, plus I can afford it (unlike what the dealer quoted me, he said the package comes with LoJack and some other junk). Is it a good deal? Anyone got their warranty from bernardiwarranty.com?
$890 sounds like the best price unless there's a sale ($865) like there is here: https://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/

If you want one definately buy one before they are removed from internet sales. The price will at least double when it's dealer sales only.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I need a little help. When I first bought my Fit in december I paid about $1,250 for a 7/100 extended warranty. About 1 month later I came back and I told them of the prices online that I saw, and they ended up price matching it and I got 8/120 for $890. Its been close to 2 months now, and I haven't seen the changes done yet. I called the finance guy today, and he said he'd call me back and let me know whats going on(he's yet to call back after 5 hours).

I'm giving him another week since that will be about 2 months since i've signed the paperwork to upgrade my extended warranty. If nothing has happened, and he keeps giving me the run around what should I do next? I've called Honda finance a few times and they said they haven't received any of the paperwork either. This is kinda annoying me since its a $300 price difference.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Melancholy
I need a little help. When I first bought my Fit in december I paid about $1,250 for a 7/100 extended warranty. About 1 month later I came back and I told them of the prices online that I saw, and they ended up price matching it and I got 8/120 for $890. Its been close to 2 months now, and I haven't seen the changes done yet. I called the finance guy today, and he said he'd call me back and let me know whats going on(he's yet to call back after 5 hours).

I'm giving him another week since that will be about 2 months since i've signed the paperwork to upgrade my extended warranty. If nothing has happened, and he keeps giving me the run around what should I do next? I've called Honda finance a few times and they said they haven't received any of the paperwork either. This is kinda annoying me since its a $300 price difference.
Go on-line to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That complaint will stay on the dealership's record until it is resolved. I forced the CEO of my local Ford dealership to resolve my issue exactly that way. The BBB rep. for California is a good guy, and you have a very good case. That step is almost guaranteed to work, but if not, get an attorney to send a letter preparatory to filing a small claims suit. That can be accomplished for the whopping investment of $15.00. If you want to know how, PM me and I'll tell you, but the BBB complaint should work very well.

Last edited by manxman; 03-05-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Go on-line to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That complaint will stay on the dealership's record until it is resolved. I forced the CEO of my local Ford dealership to resolve my issue exactly that way. The BBB rep. for California is a good guy, and you have a very good case. That step is almost guaranteed to work, but if not, get an attorney to send a letter preparatory to filing a small claims suit. That can be accomplished for the whopping investment of $15.00. If you want to know how, PM me and I'll tell you, but the BBB complaint should work very well.
Thanks I'll do that by next week if nothing is resolved.