General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My poor fit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 AM
My poor fit!

Long story short, old lady clipped me when she ran a red led. Spun me in a circle. She went in a circle too. My passenger side airbags deployed (she hit me on the front right).

I dont think the car will be OK. Front right wheel was all tilted in, front bumper flew off, and there was a dent in the frame (we could see all the way to the frame). The car still ran, but it could barely turn. The cops made me move it out of the intersection so traffic could move on.

When the lady got out of the car, she admitted to running the light. I just don't know what I'm going to do. I hope the car is declared "totaled". I don't think the car will ever perform the way it used too. At least, it won't feel the same to me. Anyone else have any similar accidents with the fit? Did they repair it, or just say it was totaled?

I'm going to try to get some pictures up soon. But the only ones i have right now are from a phone, so they won't be great.

Oh yeah, to top it all off. I had just got out of my college graduation and was on my way to a BBQ with my family. Thanks lady.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 AM
if they don't WANT to total it...just don't agree to their offer. it's your legal right. hold out till you get what you want, or you can at least come to a good compromise.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about the accident and ruining your bbq party with your family.
good thing you weren't hurt physically... well wont know until maybe a few days
after. did you get checked out by a doc?

congrats on your graduation and hope things work out for you with
insurance. keep us posted on the pict and turn out.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 AM
I didnt get checked out. At the time I didn't hurt. My adrenaline was running high, so I may not of felt anything. I'm thinking I'll see how I feel in the morning. If I hurt anywhere, I'll go to the doctor on Monday when they open up.

I couldn't even get a rental...every place was closed near hear on Saturday.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Here are some camera phone pics. I think I'm going to the impound lot on Monday to take better pics.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
sh!t man that sux... well at least you alright

Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Yikes!

Hope you are ok.

Go airbags (um well when they work...no luck for me) but good for you!

Fixing a car isnt all that bad, I wish the insurance company didnt declare my old car a loss because they didnt reimburse me much for another car, and I had a great, GREAT deal of sentimental attachment to it. If they had fixed it then hey I would still have my old car (but I suppose not many people are in that boat with me)

One thing I would like to add is do please check that everything in your car was the way you left it (if you took everything out of your car then no matter) when you get to the impound. As I got ripped out of 4 grand worth of camera equipment!

In any case take care of yourself and good luck, keep us posted...

Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned
K LoLo-

That is a really, really bad end to what would have been a great day. You will probably luck out with the insurance company totaling your car, but these days, who knows. In vehicles WITH frames, like trucks and most SUVs, if the frame is bent, they just use a frame stretcher to pull the frame rails straight again (in many cases, that is, not all). In a unibody car like the Fit, the floor is the frame and frame stretchers don't work well. Damage to the sheet metal of the floor throws every other part of the body out of alignment. When frame rails, or heavy sheet metal floors are badly bent, bending them back again weakens the steel and makes it prone to cracks. Generally there is too much of a safety issue for insurance companies to take the liability that comes with refusal to total the car and pay the full claim.

That's the way that this should work for you, but then again, look what the insurance industry has done for the home owners in New Orleans. If any physical problems even begin to show up, get checked out right away because that could be an even larger part of your claim than replacing the car. I hope not-- good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Glad you are OK.

Hope your Fit can be replaced or repaired to your satisfaction.

I've almost been hit before when some large delivery van ran a red light.
I was ready to go straight when the light turned green but I paused maybe one full second or two then a big white blur happened in front of me. I didn't even see he was trying to run the light from my angle- he was going pretty fast at the time and didn't slow at all entering the intersection- he definitely entered on Red.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think your insurance is going to claim repairable. probably somewhere in the $6-7k range... has to be within 25-30% of value of car to be totalled.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
If you have frame damage i would push for totaled... the car will never be the same... unless they want to get you a new frame? but i agree the frame is an integral part of your car.. both for performance and safety... if your frame is damaged it is likely any repair will weaken your car... if they force a repair... get them to agree to make any repairs in later years due to weakening of the frame... they really should total your car. sorry to hear this happened to u... i hope your ok and you get this straitened out soon... it i also a comfort to know that again... the Fit took the hit well and performed well in an accident... I know it sux for you but it is good to know the car kept you safe. good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
HOpefully she loses her license. Some people drive aggressive but safely, some drive it with negligence.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
ah man that looks horrible. From the looks of it im not sure if insurance will say that is total. Sure the sheet metal might have been slightly bent but everything on your car looks repairable. Hopefully they'll say its totaled though

Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope that it can be repaired and will be OK. That is hard to deal with right during the holidays.

Let us know how it goes.

Cat :x

Old 12-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah, I'll keep you updated. Luckily, it was a busy intersection with lots of witnesses.

Thing is, I did wait a second before going when the light turned green, and then after that I was even crossing very slowly. She must of not looked at all. She said she was taking her dog to go see santa. ::sighs:: I think she was playing with the dog. When her husband came, he asked if everyone was alright...her response was, "Well, the dog is pretty shakin up."

When the lady was talking to us, she was telling us how many wrecks her and her family has been in, and how good her insurance was. She told us how she just totaled her last car, her daughter totaled one, and her sister totaled one. I was like, "Well no wonder you have to get great insurance."

I dunno, I'm just hoping its either not that bad of damage, or its totaled. But we'll see how it goes I guess. I've been having some aching pains, so I'm going to go to the doctor on Monday. Only thing is, I dont really live here in Huntsville, TX. I go here for school, but don't have a doctor here or anything. So I gotta try to find one of those too.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think your insurance is going to claim repairable. probably somewhere in the $6-7k range... has to be within 25-30% of value of car to be totalled.

6-7k isnt 30% of the value of the fit? Its only an $18,000 car...

Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
i hate to be a jerk... but maybe she should have her DL revoked.... how many wrecks do u need to get it to realise ur a moron?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Firebat666
i hate to be a jerk... but maybe she should have her DL revoked.... how many wrecks do u need to get it to realise ur a moron?
I feel the same way. Her husband came, and his alarm ended up going off...they couldn't even turn the alarm off. Took like 5 minutes...its like a family full of morons.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I just got an estimate on my Fit what was in a similar situation. (Drunk Driver thread). My car's damage looks very similar to yours. They estimated $7200 and 2 weeks to repair it which starts today.

I've been informed that they won't total a vehicle unless the repair cost reaches 75 to 80% of the market value.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by karoberts
I just got an estimate on my Fit what was in a similar situation. (Drunk Driver thread). My car's damage looks very similar to yours. They estimated $7200 and 2 weeks to repair it which starts today.

I've been informed that they won't total a vehicle unless the repair cost reaches 75 to 80% of the market value.

WOW, well let me know what happens in your situation, as I'm assuming mine will go about the same. Let me know how the fit handles afterward.

Quick Reply: My poor fit!