General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Chrome exhaust tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh... my factory exhaust pipe isn't straight cut like that. it has a
bend at the tip pointing downard..

Old 12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Too answer the concern about the HFP muffler on automatics:
it has no affect on backpressure or decreased performance. The only reason Honda says no to installation on the A/T is strictly decibel related. Since every city/state has varying laws (my hometown police carry decibel meters if they suspect a car is too loud) so since the shifts are electronically controlled, under hard acceleration the decibel level could potentially be illegal, depending where you are.
Now, this is a combo answer from a friend who is a honda tech and a general inquiry at a dealership. The sales reps. typically know very little, and what they do know is simple regurgitation from the literature. My tech friend tells me that is what they're told, but ultimately it doesn't have any affect on performance negatively anyway. I'm sure everyone sees V8 chevy and ford pickups with the stereotypical dual exhaust tips coming straight out the from below the bumper. They are almost always automatics.
I will say that I've heard aftermarket exhausts on an auto civic and it just doesn't have the right sound to it when the tranny "shifts". Its SUPER easy to install yourself; you could just go to the dealer and order the part, all you need is a 12 or 14mm socket wrench (can't remember) and some wd-40 to loosen the hangers from the rubber holders. so if you're thinking of getting the HFP, think about this: for the money, there are cheaper, and probably better axle-backs out there (a-spec and megan, for example - the megan looks better then the HFP IMO and is not ricey looking) and as far as warranty issues go, the dealership would have to definitively prove that the modification directly contributed to some sort of failure in order to void the warranty. And since it's so easy to install/uninstall, you could put your OEM one back on in probably 20 minutes tops if you had to bring it to the dealer. Ultimately, I think this is much better then simply putting on the chrome finisher. I had the finisher and it just didn't look right coming out at that downward angle out the back. It just seems tacky, again, IMO. But, if you're just out for looks, and don't want any increased performance or sound, then at the very least go to a muffler shop and have the tip trimmed first so the finisher can come out at 180 degrees instead of that weird 45 degree angle.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I will take some more tonight in my garage - my little Fit is dirty because it's been raining but I will take some back and side views of the finisher. I will post them tonight for ya!

Cat :x
Ok here are pictures of my dirty little Fit: Sorry! Hate to post a dirty car but the weather has been really nasty.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I will take some more tonight in my garage - my little Fit is dirty because it's been raining but I will take some back and side views of the finisher. I will post them tonight for ya!

thanks!! this seems like a great, cheap mod!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
seven- thanks for the research. the explanation sounds pretty
car salesman-like (as you mentioned), but i suppose so. glad to hear
it 'fits' on the AT's for those that have AT's. i too am in agreement
that the AT shifts do not sound good on loud exhausts.

i ended up going with megan. hope to get it in a few days.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
no prob. you'll like the megan if you're looking for subtlety. Its got near OEM looks (reminds me of the ep3) and nice mellow tone. Almost went with that, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the skunk2 50mm setup.
Wish there was more HFP stuff geared toward the fit - it'd be pretty slick if Honda offered springs or a coilover setup - just think, a slammed fit that doesn't void the warranty... but I digress.
My apologies to the OP for thread-jacking.
Chrome exhaust finisher = good looking quick fix for little money. 'nuff said.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info about the muffler and AT. I never wouldve guessed it was because of too much noise....since our cars are that much louder than those 'quiet' Harleys going down the street.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for clearing that up 7aprils..
this could be good for those looking to upgrade the looks of their exhausts in either transmision models.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
What advantage does the Sport Muffler have? Im pretty sure it would have a nice sound...but does it do anything with performance at all? It just seems like ALOT of extra $ for a muffler.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I did the same with my Fit Base. Chrome finisher looks better than stock little thing.

Last edited by Piotr303; 01-02-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
In reality the only advantage the Sport Muffler has is a rubbish sound. No performance at all, if you want some performance from the muffler You need a stright true exhaust hehe. I think muffler is just for a look and a better sound. But it is just my opinion. Take a look on Z350 or M3 You won't see any muffler there!

Last edited by Piotr303; 01-02-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 AM
IC. I didnt think it would enhance performance. Chrome tip looks good on yours BTW.