General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

paddles versus "D"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 AM
paddles versus "D"

I've had my AT Fit Sport now for a few months and have done some informal experimentation with using the paddles versus just leaving the transmission in "D".

Using the paddles and driving fairly aggressively, I average around 25 mpg.

Using "D" exclusively and driving more in grandma mode, I average around 28 mpg.

This is about 90% city and 10% highway.

My conclusion is that I am willing to sacrifice the 3 mpg in order to really enjoy driving my Fit.

ed

Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by ezduzit
I've had my AT Fit Sport now for a few months and have done some informal experimentation with using the paddles versus just leaving the transmission in "D".

Using the paddles and driving fairly aggressively, I average around 25 mpg.

Using "D" exclusively and driving more in grandma mode, I average around 28 mpg.

This is about 90% city and 10% highway.

My conclusion is that I am willing to sacrifice the 3 mpg in order to really enjoy driving my Fit.

ed
Well, did you try driving like grandma using paddles?

I just want to warn you 3 mpg is more than you think. It's PER GALLON, which is a rate. There are 9 gallons per fill up, and this difference will add up quicker than you think.

Here's an example. Getting 33 mpg will get you 300 miles per 9 gallons. Getting 30 mpg will get you 270 miles per 9 gallons. The difference between these two distances is 30 miles, which is one gallon (assuming 30 mpg). In this example, driving aggressive wastes one gallon every 9 per fill up.

Your example may be more extreme given 3 mpg is more significant when dealing with 25 and 28 as opposed to 30 and 33.

But if you're happy with 25 mpg (regardless of whehter you saved 3 or 10 mpg) then enjoy.

Last edited by Gordio; 12-06-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 AM
I find it very difficult to drive with the paddles in grandma mode.

The paddles just motivate me to wind it out much more than when I'm in "D".

And yes, it's worth it to me to sacrifice the 3 mpg. The Fit is a fun car to drive, but it loses most of that fun if I just focus on mileage.

Driving, for me, is not just about getting from point A to point B as economically as possible.

ed

Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Retired Moderator
I find it very difficult to drive with the paddles in grandma mode.

The paddles just motivate me to wind it out much more than when I'm in "D".

And yes, it's worth it to me to sacrifice the 3 mpg. The Fit is a fun car to drive, but it loses most of that fun if I just focus on mileage.

Driving, for me, is not just about getting from point A to point B as economically as possible.

ed
Yeah i agree. I have a hard time keeping the RPMs low while in S and using the paddles. Usually when i use alot of the paddles ill get 30, when im not 35mpg. I dont get how a Fit could get 25mpg?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Do you guys have to be at a complete stop to move to S? I'm just wondering cause I only use S while on the Freeway, since my drive requires 100 miles in one direction weekly and on the way to the freeway I sometimes don't run into stops.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I don't know if it's just my fit but i was wondering if anyone else experienced that when you are in "D" and hit the paddles, you can still shift up and down.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Yeah i agree. I have a hard time keeping the RPMs low while in S and using the paddles. Usually when i use alot of the paddles ill get 30, when im not 35mpg. I dont get how a Fit could get 25mpg?

Probably because the tanks I checked the mileage on were 90/10 city/highway.

I'm sure it would be higher otherwise.

In addition, my Fit is still fairly new with less than 3000 miles on the clock.

ed

Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Do you guys have to be at a complete stop to move to S? I'm just wondering cause I only use S while on the Freeway, since my drive requires 100 miles in one direction weekly and on the way to the freeway I sometimes don't run into stops.
You can shift into S at any time, but be aware that when you do when you're moving, the transmission will shift down a gear.

I'm curious as to why you use S on the freeway. It's mostly a mode that's designed to be used in town.

I only use it on the highways when there are hills and I want to hold the transmission in 4th gear.

ed

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by FIT4ELE
I don't know if it's just my fit but i was wondering if anyone else experienced that when you are in "D" and hit the paddles, you can still shift up and down.

That's how they all work, but when you use the paddles in "D" it won't hold the gear you select. It will default back to "D".

ed

Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
That's how they all work, but when you use the paddles in "D" it won't hold the gear you select. It will default back to "D".

ed
Most cars are like that. The new chevy Malibu, one of the main downsides is it canNOT do this. You must select M mode to shift.

Does the fit have Grade Logic? (will it hold a gear longer if you are going up/down a hill)

Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 PM
From how it behaves when climbing some short hills around here, I suspect that it does have grade logic.

Not sure, however, and I've never heard it mentioned anywhere.

ed

Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 PM
what rpm do yall shift at? cause when im going like 35 i usually have it in 3rd , and thats around 3000 rpm , but in 4th its like a low 2000 , and i was wondering which is better

Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tounge73
what rpm do yall shift at? cause when im going like 35 i usually have it in 3rd , and thats around 3000 rpm , but in 4th its like a low 2000 , and i was wondering which is better

That's a very good question.

I have a Scangauge in my Fit that tells me what mileage I'm getting.

You will hear some people say that mileage is all about rpm's, but it's not.

Small engines, like the Fit has, sometimes are more efficient at producing power and energy at higher rpm's.

According to my Scangauge, there is nothing to be gained by shifting up from 3rd to 4th gear at 35 mph. The mileage remains basically the same, but the engine is being lugged more and having to work harder in 4th than in 3rd gear at that speed.

It's happier and more efficient at 35 mph in 3rd.

ed

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
shift at 6k, the fit loves it.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by FIT4ELE
Yes, in fact I use that when passing on single-lane highways. It helps bring the power up to allow you to pass in a shorter distance. The nice thing about doing it in "D" is that you can hit the gas and pull the paddle 3 times and it will only go into a safe lower gear and not over-rev.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
The nice thing about doing it in "D" is that you can hit the gas and pull the paddle 3 times and it will only go into a safe lower gear and not over-rev.
The same thing should happen in "S" right? I mean regardless, the car isn't going to allow you to go into an unsafe gear...

Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chingwa
The same thing should happen in "S" right? I mean regardless, the car isn't going to allow you to go into an unsafe gear...

ha ha, apparently not!

s allows you do rev right smack into redline, which is odd because most fake manuals don't allow you to do so, unless you are driving a sequential or direct shift gear box like in VW's. (honda has a version of this too, called i-shift.)

its not the first time though...there was an accord SiR in japan and europe that was a basic automanual, and the computers electonics would allow you to hold gears past redline as well.

i guess the s here really does mean sport!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
If you want to change gears yourself, why not just get the manual transmission?

I've always found choose-your-own-gear automatics to not be worth the time and effort. Better to just bury your foot to the floorboard and let the transmission kickdown.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gar1013
If you want to change gears yourself, why not just get the manual transmission?

I've always found choose-your-own-gear automatics to not be worth the time and effort. Better to just bury your foot to the floorboard and let the transmission kickdown.

because some people like the convinience of the automatic? and because paddles are fun? there is lots of reasons.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 PM
it's designed for big-city, stoooooop-'n-go-'n-stoooooop-some-more drivers like us who occasionally, when traffic allows (or when we visit the suburbs), would like to make believe that we can drive a stick...

Quick Reply: paddles versus "D"