General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
tanuki- check this link out. scientists say kids have it the easiest to be bilingual from birth to about 7yrs of age.
Unraveling how children become bilingual so easily - Yahoo! News

my kids have a tendency of mixing 2 languages in one sentence so we teach them to separate. in their heads 2 languages aren't two languages. it's actually one tot/kid language with more variations in their word portfolio.

the trick for me is to teach them in sentenses (well, once they can speak..hahaha) and not just by words. giving them examples of how to use the various tot words shows them how to use their selection of words despite the language. they dont discriminate which language they are using.

just thought to run it by.

i see a lot of international parents (japanese wife, caucasian husband, vise versa) and they only teach their kids English. and the japanese person can't even speak English natively most of the time. hahaha.

such a waste imho. being bilingual or even trilingual can be a natural thing for kids...
bilingual kids absorb for a longer time before they produce language, but once they get both languages sorted out, they can switch back and forth at will, even in the same sentence or going between 2 conversations at the same time. Every child needs to have at least 2 languages taught from birth on. It's like adding an extra room onto your house when you build it - even if you want to learn some other language later on, not the one you learned, you will be able to do that because the "room" already exists. You can learn Spanish or Urdu along with English, it doesn't matter.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tanukifit
Urusai, bakatare bozu.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
bilingual kids absorb for a longer time before they produce language, but once they get both languages sorted out, they can switch back and forth at will, even in the same sentence or going between 2 conversations at the same time. Every child needs to have at least 2 languages taught from birth on. It's like adding an extra room onto your house when you build it - even if you want to learn some other language later on, not the one you learned, you will be able to do that because the "room" already exists. You can learn Spanish or Urdu along with English, it doesn't matter.
yah it's almost a waste (well, to me atleast since i am bilingual and use both everyday for work as an important tool) when you have parents that speak 2 different languages natively yet only teach one.

i know several families like this... they say they're not going back to their native land so no reason to teach them the language. waaat?! kinda selfish for the parent to say that... maybe the kid wants to have that ability even if just making that 'room.' let him/her decide later what he/she wants. not their parents.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
in other car related news, i bought 2 cans of graphite wheel paint today.

going to work on my wheels hopefully this weekend... i still have some time till snow season but want to get a headstart.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Going on the new rims? That should look really nice.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Naw, I'm going to fix the crapola DR21's that got all pitted from winter use.

In other news, my wife found software that enables me to type Japanese directly off my BOLD!

日本語タイプできるぞ!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
went out to get some gas during lunch...looks like there's another t-storm heading our way.

anyway, the quick spin was fun. i can't imaging not having a MT car for myself. it's just too darn fun to drive my FitS.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM
went out to get some gas during lunch...looks like there's another t-storm heading our way.

anyway, the quick spin was fun. i can't imaging not having a MT car for myself. it's just too darn fun to drive my FitS.
Hawaii has drought conditions in the El ninyo years opposite of the Mainland.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Testing my pics from imageshack

My daughter adopted us Nov. 2007......
This is the famous red sofa at White Swan in Gaungzhou.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
tanuki- it's el nino this year? i didnt know actually. hahaha. do you have village ordinaces where it tells you not to wash your car during droughts? i use this product called Griot's SprayOn CarWash and it works great. no water needed.

beautiful little daughter you got there! i always wanted a daughter, but ended up with 2 boys. hahaha.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
tanuki- it's el nino this year? i didnt know actually. hahaha. do you have village ordinaces where it tells you not to wash your car during droughts? i use this product called Griot's SprayOn CarWash and it works great. no water needed.

beautiful little daughter you got there! i always wanted a daughter, but ended up with 2 boys. hahaha.
No, we don't have any restrictions yet but, there are advisories not to water lawns and stuff during the day and to practice conservation. (not that bad yet)

Thanks, she's taken to us pretty good.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
1980 and 1990 el nino brought drought then got hit by Hurricanes Iwa and Iniki. 2000 was close but, none hit us. Coming to 2010 we had several in the pacific but so far so good.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I had a moment of madness today and ordered these.... I got a great deal but, hey it's Volks so there goes one month of education for Kyra.

Thanks Ben, for the picture you had the nicest one I could find.

Last edited by tanukifit; 07-22-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: pic not turning out
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Nice rim choice! Getting the same color?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah, CE28s 2008 limited editions "with special center cap" haha. I guess I got to look for some red lugs.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
1980 and 1990 el nino brought drought then got hit by Hurricanes Iwa and Iniki. 2000 was close but, none hit us. Coming to 2010 we had several in the pacific but so far so good.

wow, that sounds pretty intense. we all know Florida/New Orleans/Galveston Tx has been hit many many times the last 10yrs.

Yeah, CE28s 2008 limited editions "with special center cap" haha. I guess I got to look for some red lugs.
nice set of wheels, tanuki. yah, lugs do make a nice
accent on your darker wheels. although i only use
the chrome ones usually. i guess i should probably
use a darker colored set of lugs for my wheels on the FitS...

Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
that reminds me... back in the days i owned a brand new Protege5 for like 5months and it was lowered and ran POS ADR(?) Sokudo wheels which were replicas of those CE28N's i think.
hahaha.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
The two huricanes were catagory 2s so it was nothing like the monsters(cat 4 & 5) that rolled through New Orleans and Florida thank god if we get hit with one of those I think the islands would be leveled.

I almost bought a set of Desmond Regamasters for the weight then I remembered my friend at a local car shop had the LE CE28s on special.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
i think you made a good choice on the LE's.

btw, wat color was your Fit again?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
SSM

This is when I just got the Grams (stock height)

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?