General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
mike, need to paint those silver wheels white so you can go full Michael Jackson (Black or White)

shinjari, sounds like the car is coming together quite nicely and on a budget!

I keep trying to pick up all the stuff I need for our Fit at good prices. Taking longer than I thought to gather the transmission bearings and seals. Plan on doing a refresh when I install the Quaiffe differential. Will inspect the synchro's and order if needed once apart, but it still shifts fine. Maybe start the diff and clutch install in a couple of weeks. Should be an adventure.

Considered taking the easy way, so I went by a local Honda shop and asked them about doing the work. They don't want to do the job. Said they don't split transmission cases. Where did the actual mechanics go? Anyone can be a parts changer. Sad!

Also picked up new carpeted OEM floor mats, shifter bushings, and lightweight aluminum pulleys in the past week or so.

I'm at the point where it's a bit risky to drive the thing. Have too much $$$ tied up in parts. My luck is I'll total the thing and be stuck with $1,000's in parts.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm pretty stoked. Just to figure out this suspension situation. Springs would be good...but coilovers are just so easy to install lol. $250 springs....or $1000 coilovers haha.

Yeah not sure they hire mechanics anymore...everything is remove and replace.

I recall replacing the bearings in my 99 ek hatch. Dropped and cracked that thing open at least 4 times times haha. After 200k miles it was making a horrendous bearing noise. Of course based on the internet it was only (1) bearing that was the culprit....so I ordered the (1) bearing. Turns out it was (2) different bearings causing the noise so I had to order the other and crack it open again. The other reasons I had to crack open was rtv didn't seat well...rear main seal didn't seat well...Good times.

Last edited by shinjari; 07-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
I recall replacing the bearings in my 99 ek hatch. Dropped and cracked that thing open at least 4 times times haha. After 200k miles it was making a horrendous bearing noise. Of course based on the internet it was only (1) bearing that was the culprit....so I ordered the (1) bearing. Turns out it was (2) different bearings causing the noise so I had to order the other and crack it open again. The other reasons I had to crack open was rtv didn't seat well...rear main seal didn't seat well...Good times.
Wish you were local so you could join in on the fun. Sounds like you miss those days....or NOT! LOL

Yeah, I'm going to have ALL of the bearing and seals here before I break it open. That and the Honda sealant in the pressurized can. I don't want to have to squeeze that much goo out of tubes. It's close to $350 in bearings, seals, and chemicals/fluids. Another $150 for the synchro's.

Then add the Quaiffe diff and Clutch Masters complete kit with billet flywheel and I have way too much invested in a tiny little 5-speed. Let's hope I put it together right!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Good morning gents.

Well I got 'clean' pictures of the wheels and they were just dirty lol.

He cleaned them and took more detailed pics for me.

No tool marks around lugs, barrel was just dusty. Now to see if he'll take $600 for them haha.

Mike410b - I've always thought about running 2 different color wheels....1 set on one side one set on the other haha. Either set of the wheels you have look great on your s2k man. Really clean look.

In regards to suspension I found a SI RSB for $60 that my buddy in phoenix is gonna pick up for me and bring to Cali when he visits later this month. But no reply from Swift regarding spring rates. =/
Nice! Pick them up!

Thanks dude, I can't run them side-by-side, different sides & at the moment the car isn't entirely driveable with CP035 up front haha

Originally Posted by GAFIT
mike, need to paint those silver wheels white so you can go full Michael Jackson (Black or White)
I know you're joking, but I'll never white wheel again. Just too much of a pain & I don't really dig them. The champagne color on my Racing Harts is my favorite wheel color I've ever had (Winning Gold, though I prefer to call them Winning Beige)

Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT I love wrenching. If you were closer I'd help

Mike410b I didn't even realize there's a champagne color to those wheels. Just thought they were silver haha.

Yeah white wheels are a good contrast on red...just a PITA to maintain.

Gonna send an offer on the wheels shortly....hope he bites. Save myself some extra $ then turn around and sell these 15mm spacers to make some more $ back haha.

Thoughts on springs if SWIFTs are a no go?

Eibach? H&R? Vogtland? Rsr? D2? Skunk2? I think that's my order of preference.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
have u cked if 034 makes dog bones for your Golf? i use one on my GTI and R and it stiffens up the tranny to engine mount and no added vibration. gets rid of tranny slop and wheel hop too on the GTI.
Thanks for this suggestion! I hadn't thought about the possibility that it's the drivetrain itself moving, but that makes sense.

I see multiple companies that make dogbones and complete different mounts for these cars. I'm guessing that means it's a common complaint.

I'll crawl under ours to see which style we have and get some dogbone inserts on order.

Have you seen any need to take it further and do any of the other mounts or do the inserts alone make enough of a difference?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i’m pretty happy with the dog bone from 034. i noticed a big difference on my GTI. Golf-R not so much as it can’t do 4 wheel wheel spin like my STI. lol

Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari - id stay away from prokits unless u plan to do da dampers too.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
If I'm changing dampers and springs I may as well go coilovers... :/

Old 07-10-2018, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
datz a good idea. coilovers are kind of a pita to set up in the beginning though.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
alright, finally home did some 'planting' outdoors... stuck some faux greens directly into the ground as if it was growing dere and holy frikken dogdamn.. it looks real! haha

so real dat i need to put some kind of little divider or da landscapers may accidentally trim it. lol

Old 07-10-2018, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
tacohell tonight.. just nachos bel grande for me.. my kid had enchilito, 5-layer burrito, meximelt, and 5 crunchy tacos and hez still hungry.

i got sick just thinking how much tacohell he ate.. lol

Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Good job on the faux plants!

You're making me hungry talking about the bell. It's grade z food, but I love the stuff.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
yah i think im going to get little metal decorative planters for my faux greens.... wat to use to set the faux plant inside? rocks and some quick dry concrete? lol im going to place them next to the shrubs so needs to be outdoors durable..

tacohell.. yah, its fine for a snack i guess. lol

Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
You going to get some washable brown paint to spray them come winter time?

Reminds me of visiting family in Oklahoma years and years ago. They get their grass sprayed green to make it look better. They come out like once a month to "fertilize." The spray fertilizer has green dye. Supposedly so you can see where it was sprayed, but we all know it's just to make the brown OK grass look green.

It was super funny to me since I grew up in FL and grass was always green. Never saw so much dead stuff till I visited OK.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
haha! yah, its going to be super nice green all year long even in da snow for super faux. lol

yah, ive read about people spraying green on their yards also out in AZ. pretty crazy.. my green is not grass, more like shrubs next to my bushes and all. kinda amazed how real dey look.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
actually once i plant dem in the planters ill keep dem inside in da winter so it doesnt get damaged by snow and ice piling on top of it from the snow blowers. i just need to figure out a way to set dem in the planters.. hummm..

Old 07-10-2018, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
How large are they?

They make dry foam planting blocks for planting faux plants outside. If not too large, that would work.

Otherwise you may want to get creative with some lightweight mortar mix.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
it’s not big maybe 16”x 5” max. i’ve seen the foam blocks but are they ok to use in the rain? don’t want it getting moldy...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
so i ordered dese mini metal pails to plant my faux plants into and they are like 3” in diameter so got the white foam ballz and going to cut it in half, hot glue it to the pail with rocks inside at the bottom of da pail. moss on top. will drill holes at da bottom and bottom sides, paint it so no rust.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?