General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vic831
Kenchan, have you looked at the Honda HRV for the Mrs Kenchan? Same magic seats, even more cargo room, sit up high, good car to pass down to college bound kid,
cheap and realible, but less mpg.
Neighbor has one. In top level trim, the interior is nice and the thing is bulletproof. Crazy slow, but that's fine for some people.

However, I think kenchan has sworn off made in Mexico Honda's.

Last edited by GAFIT; 05-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
that’s cool. did you use a VAGCOM was it(?) or OBD11? i think i can code it on my GTI i suppose, but i rarely need the fogs so i use it only when i need it. the lights on my GTI is good and adaptive to steering.
I used an app called Carista. I bought it when it first came out & it was cheap. I paired it with a cheap OBDII dongle & made the changes that I wanted. Carista has now changed their pricing so it is not a good deal. Lucky for me they have grandfathered me in so it's unlimited for me.

If I had to do this today I'd buy a VAGCOM. If you go that route make sure you get one with unlimited vin's. You can pick them up used for $175 or so. There always seem to be a couple for sale on the VW GTI forums.

GAFIT- I like the HRV & thought I'd maybe get one. That is until I drove one. So slow, I couldn't stand it & cut my test drive short. The HRV needs the 1.5 turbo from the CRV.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 05-02-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vic831
Kenchan, have you looked at the Honda HRV for the Mrs Kenchan? Same magic seats, even more cargo room, sit up high, good car to pass down to college bound kid,cheap and realible, but less mpg.
hey there vic, thanks for the suggestion but as gafit mentioned, i crossed honda off my candidate right now especially mexican honda cars. the GK has given me so much grief it is unbelievable. i cant believe im dealing with used car-like issues.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I used an app called Carista. I bought it when it first came out & it was cheap. I paired it with a cheap OBDII dongle & made the changes that I wanted. Carista has now changed their pricing so it is not a good deal. Lucky for me they have grandfathered me in so it's unlimited for me.

If I had to do this today I'd buy a VAGCOM. If you go that route make sure you get one with unlimited vin's. You can pick them up used for $175 or so. There always seem to be a couple for sale on the VW GTI forums.

GAFIT- I like the HRV & thought I'd maybe get one. That is until I drove one. So slow, I couldn't stand it & cut my test drive short. The HRV needs the 1.5 turbo from the CRV.
ahhh, ive heard of carista. they make devices for all sorts of cars, i think. i was thinking about getting vagcom but then OBD11 is so much easier and cheaper to use. i bought a cheezo galaxy just for the OBD11 and it works flawlessly.

yah, hrv looks good, but i cant stand slow cars. it just pisses me off when im on the highway.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
hey there vic, thanks for the suggestion but as gafit mentioned, i crossed honda off my candidate right now especially mexican honda cars. the GK has given me so much grief it is unbelievable. i cant believe im dealing with used car-like issues.
The VTC actuator should be covered by warranty I’ve had it changed by Honda on a 2.4 CRV. Do you think your paint problem is possible warranty issue? I currently have jland made 2017 fit cvt but I had 15’ 6m Fit hecho in Mexico. Didn’t keep 15’ long enough to see either problem. I’ve put rear shims on my 17 ‘ and turned the tie rods to straighten my steering wheel but no other problems .........yet.

Last edited by vic831; 05-02-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
jland GK should be nice to have. i mean ive never had this level of problems on any new car.

i already checked with the dealer on the flaking paint last year. they said they cant cover it under warranty as it appears as user neglect. i was like wtf mang. i admit i dont wash the car like i do my cars, but the GE my wife drove before was only washed like once in a blue moon and never had this issue. not to forget the rusting in the engine bay, undercarriage, and even door hinges. it looks like a 9-10yr old car in 3yrs.

vtc actuator on this car can be replaced, but i read it kept coming back so i didnt want to risk getting the engine damaged while the dealer messed with it as it runs fine, just noisy at cold start making me look ghetto.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
[making me look ghetto.[/QUOTE]
Lol, that’s funny, mine did that also and in retrospect, I think my 2012 CRV VTC actuator rattled at idle under load, sounded like a diesel, dealer service manager said it was “noisy injectors”. Noise went away with VTC actuator replacement hasn’t come back and the valves were not adjusted at that time. Granted, totally different engine family 2.4 liter 4 cylinder

Last edited by vic831; 05-03-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Spacing
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
alright another day at the office. one meeting in the am followed by a quick call should be a walk in the park.. muddy park. with traps.. and coyotes..

anyway rained well last night so looks like i’m going to be washing the GTI’s engine bay and undercarriage this weekend.

have a good thursday everyone!

Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
okay i must’ve scared people off cause no one here yet.. yes i am the wolf and set the traps.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Lol. Sounds like a fun Thursday for ya Kenchan.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
hey there shinjari. one meeting down one to go!

the good is no one got hurt. lol

Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
alright finally home, did a few house chores and now done for the day. tired as hell but happy no other thing to do tonight but relax and watch some TV or stream a movie.

on the way home was about 60F and raining and the GTI was not gripping all that well. had a hard time keeping up with a lex NX just for the reason of FWD wtf no grip situation vs AWD.. the NX is slower than a GK if in the dry (yes truth) and yet my GTI just could not pull it in fast enough. this is why i faking hate 2WD cars these days. theyre like a spoiled brat, only good in situation they like.. no consideration to the driver.

so after i was done with the chores, i sat down in my garage adoring my AWD machines.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
happy friday everyone!

so got a big meeting with no traps this am, followed by a nice lunch, followed by nap in the pm at the office. lol

so it looks like tomorrow am i will motor my STI and then wash the GTI’s engine bay and undercarriage, will see if i can get to the GK sunday am after another drive in the STI.

have a good weekend!

Old 05-04-2018, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
alright done with big am meeting and lunch meeting. now time for nap.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
got home, did a few house chores and now relaxing in my music room.

so many annoying pos garbage on the roads on the way home today.. wtf mang. at least move to the side if ure going to drive slow in your pos old camry and accord. the tolerance we must have for stupid.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
alright looks like a dry saturday am = pulling out my STI in 30.

got a busy am ahead.. after the drive, will clean the GTI's inner windows and interior, wash the GTI's engine bay and undercarriage, wash and swap out the weather techs to factory carpet mats in the GTI and STI..followed by icecream break. then quick lunch with wife, run a few errands this pm including washing the GK at the carwash, then relax the rest of evening.

ash- i did some research on the drone.. ure right, a lot of folks complaining about the boomy-ness down low near 2000-3000 range with just catback. i think i might just skip it entirely in this case. i have good ears and i know id be very annoyed if i heard that every day to and from work. the reason why keep the GTI is for convenience.. relaxing to drive in quiet cabin, nice stereo, smooth shifting DSG and its free to keep since already paid for.

if im going to spend money on the GTI, i should just go ahead and swap it out with a DSG-R at this point.

have a good saturday, everyone!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
How about doing a downpipe with cat?

I'm no expert on VW stuff, but for most cars that's where the power is and not in changing the cat back. On my Lincoln platform the cat back is literally only worth 2 or so hp.

With just the dowpipes changed and the factory cat back, my Lincoln still has zero drone, but picked up a nice deep rumble. Just sounds like a bigger motor with more air flow, but has the same sound quality.

I've done that same basic thing with other cars I've owned. Put headers on and sometimes mid-pipes, but kept the stock rear. Gives the hp and a deeper sound without the drone.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
downpipe (and a quick adjustment on my piggyback) with stock catback will definitely net more power for sure as you stated.. but as i mentioned many times, my GTI already has plenty of power for street and spins the wheels all the time which i hate. wat i want is some exhaust burble and tone while driving normally. but then i read people complaining about drone and that i DO NOT want on my car.

and, im pretty much set on upgrading to the DSG-R next so i think im just going to drive the GTI as is for now and do the resonator delete on the R again.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
alright, motored my STI and had a great time. did a quick QD on the facia to rid bugs and then proceeded to wash the GTI's engine bay and undercarriage. after the wash, i inspected the undercarriage and the car is in EXCELLENT condition still with barely any rust. very impressed. i spot touched up'ed the subframe and coated a few areas with oil to protect. looks great.

and i noticed my front splitter was coming apart a little bit from the bumper on the very front so fixed it while i had the car on ramps.i remember hitting a chunk of snow in the work parking lot in the winter and that probably popped one of the rivets partially out of its hole. this time i used a bolt and nylon locking nut with washers. next time i hit something, the thing will just break off. lol

then took a quick spin to dry the undercarriage.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Here ‘s to hoping for four-door Mustangs...

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?