General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Just checking in from vacation to say "hi." Discovered the Lincoln either has a high or no limit to the adaptive cruise.

Set it at a high speed and it just motors along.

Had one fool in a Mercedes E500 do the "I'll just accelerate instead of moving over BS" just to be surprised when the Lincoln stayed tagged to his rear bumper. After a long stare in the rear view mirror, he finally decided to move over. The adaptive cruise just resumed it's missile pace and we motored past in comfort. I'm guessing he'd be shocked to know that the cruise was doing the driving.

670 miles covered in comfort in 9 hours including a 45 minute stop for lunch and two rest area stops for potty breaks. So roughly 8 hours of road time to cover 670 miles. Not too bad considering the insane amount of time spent with holiday drivers clogging the left lane.

Got passed by two cars on the trip. A Porsche Cayenne S (family inside looked quite comfy) and a Lincoln MKT (older couple that also looked pretty happy).

The Lincoln is at 2600rpm at just a hair over 100 mph (allegedly) and got 24.2 mpg on the trip. Not exactly great fuel mileage, but given the size, weight, and speed, not bad.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey have fun in florida.

another day at the office.. have a good wednesday everyone!

Old 04-04-2018, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Man you were bookin' it down to Florida.

Yeah here in CA, no one know how to properly use the fast lane...people think you can drive 55 in ANY lane on the freeway. I typically keep a constant 75 or 80 depending on congestion.

So far the Miata top is holding up with its half stitched, gaffer tape solution. The gaffer tape holds fairly well, probably should've cleaned the area with isopropyl to give it better 'bite' as some edges lift slightly. Hopefully finish the stitching this weekend, then RTV silicone it to seal.

Happy Wednesday!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
yah, those tape has some nice tack to them for sure. like in my foyer i have 2 rugs connected to each other on the bottom side using duct tape and it has held up for years with zero issue.

finally home, got gas on the way home in my GTI, did a few house chores when i got home. tired as faking hell mang.. need to rest a bit before i can do anything else.

sanma for supper.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
another day at the office. going to enjoy my smooth drive in m GTI. i’ve not used the expressway going to work even once since switching to surface roads this year.

so much benefits.. not tiring, no new damage on paint, no cracks in the windshield, no bent wheels, saves on toll, etc etc.

have a goood thursday everyone!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Started the valve adjustment on my Mom's Fit last night. Got down to the valves. Cowl, intake/throttle body, valve cover, coils, plugs, etc removed and decided it was margarita time. Hate the whole cowl and wiper assembly crap on the GE. So glad ours is a GD. Much easier to work on and better thought out of a design.

Will finish tonight after it cools off some. I used to live in South FL, but I don't miss the heat. North GA has much nicer summer, spring, and fall. I can see why retired people live in two locations depending on weather/time of year.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
sound like a lot of work! i visit the south often for biz and each time i can’t wait to get out of humidity.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
wheew, wat a faking long short day. finally home and the drive home in the GTI was smooth and uneventful. saw a nismo 370z driving next to me in wet freezing rain and it seemed so yesteryear it wasnt even cool.

like sports cars in general are so dated now with low mpg mediocre acceleration and overall handling compared to AWD sport compacts of today, unless one has like a a Z06 or something exotic, it's not special. more like special in a short bus way, kinda. lol haha

Old 04-05-2018, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
alright, wife got us some subway for supper.. going to take it easy tonight.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
happy friday! dogdamn this week went by in a flash.

while its going to be freezing snow/rain on monday im going to go ahead and swap the GTI to summers over the weekend because i drive so slow to work and back, unless there is accumulation it aint going matter.. id be no any different than driving some shitty falken or hankook aka junkook tires in the rain. i cant stand tiny 18" wheels on the GTI no more.

will do a thorough wash next weekend.

have a nice friday and weekend!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
tiny 18" wheels

Love my super miniature 17 inch wheels. Wouldn't have it any other way. Yesterday I did 360 miles of back road running. I'd guess if I had my 18 inch wheels I'd have at least one bent wheel. If I had 19 inch wheels I'd need to carry two spares. Different stokes as they say.

As for a 370z being a sports car well no not to me. In my old mind the 240z was the last z sports car. A sports car needs to be 2 door 2 seat RWD preferably with a drop top to be a sports car. A sports car has a soul if not outright power, they are well balanced. I really like the Golf family of cars & my GTI in particular, they are so very competent, but they are lacking the soul of a sports car. Just my .02.

Have a grand weekend everyone.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
hahaha! have a good weekend ash!

u always weeekend! weeekend every day says my retired pops.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sports cars that come to my mind...

Corvette
Miata
MR2
NSX
most Ferrari's

So, I don't equate open air, but I do equate light weight, nimble, and "sporty" with sports car.

The 370 is either a GT car or a poor sports car. Not sure which.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Finished the valve adjustment and took my Mom's Fit for a drive. All is good.

I'm not sure how anyone can live with those GE seats though. They are torturous to me. Our GD seats are considerably better.

My Mom's GE Sport also doesn't drive near as well as our GD. It feels soft. Like they tried to make it more comfortable, but the result was it lost it's soul and sporty feel. Granted, my Mom's is an auto so that takes away a whole lot of the feel. Also, the tranny sucks!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
370Z seems like a sports car, but IDK.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT thought honda did the damper revision on the 12’? can’t remember but i swapped mine out for swifts as soon as i got the car.

370z was a sports car-like coupe. it was a GT car more or less imo. i could never fully connect with the car. my STI is a hell of a more sports car-like than the Z even though family sedan. that’s the thing.. these family sport compacts are more sports car vs the decade old 2 door sports cars and coupes. it’s all yesteryear stuff now.

i was looking at possibly getting the M2 next but the numbers are nnnn.. i’d rather have a M3 more for styling even if sedan. but then only RWD.. nnnn.

only looking at AWD right now.. i can buy 2 Golf-R’s for the price of a M3. lol

Old 04-06-2018, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
370Z seems like a sports car, but IDK.
your s2k is a sports car.

miata is just too damn slow unless autox or downhill on a mountain like the GD. trying to go fast in a GD is like pretending to go fast in slow motion.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
alright the day was going smooth until got a sudden call asking for a meeting this pm.. not one but two. yikes. and these aren’t the light ones.

oh well.. gotta work to pay for toys.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
speaking of yesteryear, i got an email the other day that hobbico is going bankrupt. which means tower hobbies and omni models are also getting canned probably..(?)

rc and model making is a dying hobby of middle aged and old folk era. kinda sad but oh well. at least i bought like a lifetime worth of parts for my rc cars. no joke.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
your s2k is a sports car.

miata is just too damn slow unless autox or downhill on a mountain like the GD. trying to go fast in a GD is like pretending to go fast in slow motion.
The Miata is slow, but it is such a well balanced car. The handling is what makes it not the power. it's a momentum car. Big fun driving my slow car fast. On a nice roller coaster of a road it can embarrass more powerful cars that lack balance. In a straight line the Miata gets killed, but that is not its element. I love the non-electric steering, RWD, rifle bolt action shifter, mechanical gas peddle & no farking nanny's of any kind. Just driver & car, with the driver doing the driving.

Ken you better stop answering the phone. Them calls from work suck. ;-)

What's a sports car is a very personal thing. Maybe it's generational.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?