General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Those pictures were taken on an exploration trip for a sports car tour we help put on every year. The tour was originated by a very close friend who was a renowned Brit car mechanic. He started the tour to get his customers to come out & drive their cars. We lost him 10 years ago, a friend & I decided to carry on with the tour in his honor. All proceeds are donated in his name to the James Cancer Hospital.

We run in the appellation foothills so when it rains hard for a few days the hollows valleys can get very wet. I think this year may be the twentieth edition. Yikes where does the time go. I usually add a thousand miles or so to my odometer every year doing the route setup. But man is it large fun.

Layout pics > https://crashton.smugmug.com/Erics-Riverrun-2017

Here are pictures from last years event. We get lots of different cars, but not any Honda Fits yet.

Event pics > https://crashton.smugmug.com/Erics-Riverrun-2017

Old 02-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice pictures, ash!!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
not sure how many of you shop at autogeek but promocode DAY2 will net you a 15% discount on top of free shipping over $50. yes, huge bargain!

got a nice load of car wash/detailing stuff on order in prep for Spring.
Thanks! I've been looking at a few things. May take advantage of this one.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
no prob, happy hunting.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
so i got gas in the GK today after running an errand and while waiting for the pump looked over and found that the flaking paint on the passenger door expanded yet another inch.. woah.

ran the car through the soft cloth carwash afterwards.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
turned out to be a nice sunny morning and will be pulling out my STI in a bit.

have a good sunday everyone!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Enjoy the drive Ken.

Here is a link to a sale on towels for all your detailing needs.

https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/

Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
thanks ash, i had a great drive. and QD'ed afterwards. STI is a blast to drive.. and i think the magnet ankle bracelet is helping a bit. i didnt feel the pain in my left ankle today... even after 2hrs.

will keep the bracelet on for a at least a couple more weeks fosho.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
headed out to this nasty part of town to a big art ceremony for students where my son got his award for his artwork and a box of art supplies. he was real happy. there were some amazing art there by other students and it was quite enjoyable to look around.

i was glad i took the GK as it was uneven gravel parking and lots of mud pot holes in the lot. lol.

along the way some crazy mofo nearly collided into us on the expressway interchange where i made an evasive maneuver in the GK to avoid contact. all 4 tires completely lost grip for about 0.4-0.5 seconds going 65mph+, but i mashed the gas with slight counter steer and the car quickly regained grip and responded to my command. my wife and kids were was like HOLY SHIT! hahaha but it wasnt scarey at all like that pos jeep i drove earlier in the month as the GK was predictable.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Eek. Last paragraph sounds unpleasant.

I ran the Fit through a touchless wash today. Got on the interstate & man, oh man, is this thing ever unstable in wind. Tall slab sided car on narrow tires with squirmy treadblocks? NO THANKS. Ready for the return of the low car with fat tires & HUGE treadblocks.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
mike, is your Fit still rolling on stock sized rubber with stock suspension?

Our GD, with a Progress rear bar and 205's on 16" wheels really isn't bad at interstate speeds. Keep in mind that I daily a 4400 lb Lincoln and wife daily's a Golf. Plus those aren't very special compared to what we've owned. I've mostly had vehicles with lots of power and mechanical grip.

I'm not saying that the Fit is like a freight train, but we put almost 200k miles on it without fear.

I know it's not popular with some, but my Mom's GE and my friends GE were also improved by switching to 205's. The factory 185's are hilariously small and just provide too little contact patch with the road. My Mom and friend are much, much happier with the wider tires.

Granted neither of them are rolling on snow tires either. One lives in FL and the other in GA. Our idea of inclement weather is hard rain or light snow.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
mike, is your Fit still rolling on stock sized rubber with stock suspension?

Our GD, with a Progress rear bar and 205's on 16" wheels really isn't bad at interstate speeds. Keep in mind that I daily a 4400 lb Lincoln and wife daily's a Golf. Plus those aren't very special compared to what we've owned. I've mostly had vehicles with lots of power and mechanical grip.

I'm not saying that the Fit is like a freight train, but we put almost 200k miles on it without fear.

I know it's not popular with some, but my Mom's GE and my friends GE were also improved by switching to 205's. The factory 185's are hilariously small and just provide too little contact patch with the road. My Mom and friend are much, much happier with the wider tires.

Granted neither of them are rolling on snow tires either. One lives in FL and the other in GA. Our idea of inclement weather is hard rain or light snow.
OEM everything with 185/55/16 Blizzak WS80. Slightly improved by all seasons in the summer.

Car was on 16x7 +43 RPF1 w/ 205/50/16 for like a month 1.5 years ago. To be honest, felt no different. 205 would also have some drawbacks relative to the narrow tires in the snow.

It is nothing scary, just something that annoys me.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Eek. Last paragraph sounds unpleasant.

I ran the Fit through a touchless wash today. Got on the interstate & man, oh man, is this thing ever unstable in wind. Tall slab sided car on narrow tires with squirmy treadblocks? NO THANKS. Ready for the return of the low car with fat tires & HUGE treadblocks.
yah it was not good. if i had a rear sway bar on the GK, chances are the rear would’ve spun out and possibly lost control. that said YES to low riding wide cars.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
oh mang so tired today. going to take it easy as i have a big event for work coming up.

have a good monday everyone!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
My call would be to go for 205 tires if I owned a Fit. For snow it would be 185 for sure.

Ken glad you're reactions got you out of a potential bad situation. Many folks would have hit the brakes & let the physics of crashing work things out.

Once more congrats to your budding artist. My wife is an artist & a teacher. It seems many of her artist endeavors take her to the sketchy part of town.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Rain, art shows, crazy drivers. Sounds like a typical weekend :LOL:

Weekend was pretty good. Had Russian for dinner on Friday when a friend came into town to visit. Always a good time. Saturday I bought the natural stone slabs for the fire pit in the back yard. Sunday cleaned house, ran errands, manual driving practice session with the GF (she did fairly well), out for dinner with some friends...at the Russian place again. The waitress saw my GF and I was and was like 'hey....weren't you guys just here? lol'

I had 205/50/15s on the GE and I felt it looks better and felt more stable than the narrow tires. Granted I had a drop as well so I'm sure that helped make it feel more planted.

Photo barrage. Notice my little 'helper' on the left? LOL Don't mind the old fence....that's on the eventual replacement list.

Guys at landscape place were awesome. Gave me a pallet which was the perfect size to lay out the rock. So I spent about 45 minutes picking through their pile of the Barkwood Flagstone I wanted and played adult tetris/legoes to make it. Threw the pallet in my dads truck and went home. Numbered everything and placed organized when I unloaded so I knew how it all went together and boom...firepit. Happy monday!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Nice project shinjari!

I see some good times and smores in your future!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
My call would be to go for 205 tires if I owned a Fit. For snow it would be 185 for sure.

Ken glad you're reactions got you out of a potential bad situation. Many folks would have hit the brakes & let the physics of crashing work things out.

Once more congrats to your budding artist. My wife is an artist & a teacher. It seems many of her artist endeavors take her to the sketchy part of town.
thanks ash. yah, brakes would've been catastrophic in that situation.
speaking of idiots, a current gen subaru legacy driver was annoying as hell on the way home today cutting people off including me. im like you're driving a loser putt-putt mobile, get back in the back of the line where you belong before you cut yourself. lol

thanks on the congrats to my son. i really appreciate wat the art teachers like your wife and event organizers, sponsors are all doing for our artistic kids. there is so much bs out there in the world today, we can definitely use great artists creating amazing artwork for us normal folks to see and enjoy.. take our minds off reality for a bit and enter their world for a moment.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
smores at shinjari's place!! looking good.

da heck is ur helper doing over dere!

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
so thursday my kid is bringing up the factory wheels from the basement and we're going to swap out the GK's wheels to stockers either friday or saturday.

next week will do my STI, the following weekend my Golf-R, and will do the GTI at the very end cause the temp is a bit still on the cold side and dont want to rush the GTI as it is my dd and dont have the option of NOT driving the car on a cold day..

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?